1.    #1  
    A lof of old 3dgames are designed for 320 x 480. so when lauched on the 480x 800 pre3, they are scaled to 480x 720, which is why there are black bars on up/bottom of pre3.

However, today I found anothe device: Nokia N900 with Maemo System and a 480 x800, same as Pre3 ! such machine can launch a webos emulator, Community SSU, which can run many old apps, such as nfsu, hero of sparta, asphalt 5 in a PERFECT FULL screen Resolution WITHOUT black bar issue!!!!.

So Now a webos game can be launched at TRUE 480x800 ONLY in a NON-webos machine whist not in a real-webos one?? Pretty Cool! How, Why..

I think the black-bar issue is not due to the GAME themsevles but the webos 2.2? Presumably there should be some patches that are supposed to fix the scaling issue in Pre3?

I attached some pics of N900 running Assassin and Hero of Sparta. True 400 x 800 pics...
    That sounds odd. 4 months since the qs has been posted and still no answer!!!
    as default the pre3 gets the ugly quick upscale leaving the black bars, the stuff that scales/fits perfectly tho will be down the the devs that made the app, probably actually checking for the actual device resolutions rather than assuming them and relying on a quick upscale.

Youll find stuff like Robotek/EVAC HD/Lots of other touchpad games actually scale to fit perfectly, while others do not, its down to how the app was made in the end.
    Eh, but his point is that those apps that do NOT scale well on the pre3, instead scale perfectly on the meego phone using that emulation layer.
    They most probably don't scale "perfect" on meego, because the perfect scaling will always have black bars... if you don't have blackbars just by scaling you are stretching everything, which might lead to other strange issues (like you need to tap next to controls to actually hit them and so on).

That said, it's most probably because the "emulation layer" you speak of in meego handles the scaling and the app itself only runs in 320x480. In webOs there is no such layer and the app can make use of the full 480x800 resolution which is much better if the app does (then you don't have blackbars and no stretching issue, because the app really renders 80 more pixels).
    Id rather have black bars than a horrible horizontal streteched effect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    They most probably don't scale "perfect" on meego, because the perfect scaling will always have black bars... if you don't have blackbars just by scaling you are stretching everything, which might lead to other strange issues (like you need to tap next to controls to actually hit them and so on).

That said, it's most probably because the "emulation layer" you speak of in meego handles the scaling and the app itself only runs in 320x480. In webOs there is no such layer and the app can make use of the full 480x800 resolution which is much better if the app does (then you don't have blackbars and no stretching issue, because the app really renders 80 more pixels).

Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Id rather have black bars than a horrible horizontal streteched effect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Agreed with both of you... especially the emulation part. The app is not scaling, the emulator is giving the appearance of scaling.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...