Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I see a number of users here with Verizon Pre 3 phones. Can anyone offer advice on how to find this rare device?
    I haven't noticed any, and i'd be surprised if verizon would let you activate it on their network.

if my assumptions are wrong, then I want to know where I can get one, too.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $only$ $reference$ $to$ $a$ $VZW$ $Pre3$ $was$ $a$ $link$ $from$ $webosroundup$ $that$ $showed$ $an$ $ebay$ $auction$ $for$ $one$ $that$ $sold$ $for$ $$750$. $I$ $have$ $not$ $seen$ $any$ $forum$ $members$ $report$ $having$ $one$...$I$ $have$ $no$ $reason$ $to$ $think$ $the$ $ebay$ $auction$ $was$ $a$ $fraud$, $but$ $one$ $never$ $knows$.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    please do not hijack threads to buy/sell devices.

such posts and users won't be tollerated outside of the marketplace forum.

thanks!

<thread cleansed>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/19/2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I haven't noticed any, and i'd be surprised if verizon would let you activate it on their network.

if my assumptions are wrong, then I want to know where I can get one, too.
    I was considering buying one of the Verizon Pre 3s that popped up today on eBay...but I was concerned about getting it activated on Verizon's network. I spoke with a customer service rep who had me read back to him the MEID number on the box in one of the pictures for the auction...and he said it was clean, and would be able to be activated on their network.

So, FWIW, it looks like they WILL activate it if you choose to empty out the vault and buy one. He did caution me strongly that (of course) there would be no support or warranty for it if I did get it and something went wrong.

I went to buy it anyway...but by the time I figured out that it would activate, someone else bought it. Ah, well...
    ferchope likes this.
    Even if the MEID is "clean," that may not be the entire story. Unless Verizon's database shows the specific device, VZW won't know what *kind* of device it is, and how to provision it, and may not activate it.

From what I understand, VZW is in the process of incorporating those few Pre3s into its MEID database, but it may not be finished yet. A VZW Pre3 may not work *yet*, but will probably work *soon." Take that as you will. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Well it is a lot to spend on a maybe it will work on the VZW network. I want one as bad as the rest of you, lets just hope that HP and VZW release a few of these phones.*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  8.    #8  
    What I do not understand is how there are so many AT&T versions of the Pre3 on ebay, but nothing for Verizon??
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Right?
    New ebay listing of a Verizon Pre 3, starting price $649.99. Ugh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pre-3-Sma...#ht_2452wt_287
    -- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    over double the price of the at&t versions, quite rediculous
    I really hate supply and demand sometimes!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Sooo.... think Sprint would provision one of 'em?
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    Crossing my fingers that the Verizon version will become available enough that prices fall to what the AT&T versions are going for now.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbox View Post
    I believe that even though both Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, there are still differences in the radio boards that prevent a phone for one from working directly on the other. This is why getting a sprint Pre+ or Pre2 has always required getting a real sprint comms board from a Pre-. The Pre- comms board is not compatible with the Pre3, so that avenue is closed.

I don't know enough about how this works to tell you why it is that way, but I'm sure that if there were any other way to get a Verizon Pre+/2/3 to work on Sprint, we'd have heard about it a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbox View Post
    No, not a chance. If you wanted it on Sprint first you would have to change the MEID to the MEID of a phone that sprint supports (which is hard and illegal). Then you would need to actaully get all of the settings on the phone (what towers to connect to, id information, data username and passwords, ip information). It's hard, but not imposible, I did it to get a sprint pre- on Verizon when they first came out.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Oh well, my pocketbook appreciates that answer... now to decide between the much more practical FrankenPre2 (and save $10 monthly) or just give up and go iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
    Crossing my fingers that the Verizon version will become available enough that prices fall to what the AT&T versions are going for now.
    Same here. 800 for one of these guys is way too much.
    An interesting tidbit from a craiglist Verizon Pre3 item:

"And to be clear, this is running an unreleased version of webOS, 2.2.3, that fixes activation issues that previous Verizon Pre 3s experienced."

The 2.2.3 doctor for the Verizon Pre3 has been released. Who wants to go first?
    Dan Donovan
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Same here. 800 for one of these guys is way too much.
    I couldn't agree more. This is outright highway robbery! I believe there are just as many Verizon pre 3 phones as there are ATT pre 3 phones but someone figured out that releasing only a few at a time would garner higher bids. I'd wager my Pre Plus that most, if not all, of the bids for the Verizon pre 3s are coming from users on this site. People need to realize that if you just stop bidding at such high ridiculous prices, they'll actually come down and you'll likely see more pop up on ebay (like the ATT one).

I see it as insanity that no one wanted to buy a $500 touchpad, yet everyone is scrambling to buy an $800 Verizon Pre 3. As much as I would really like to have a Verizon Pre 3, I'm not going to spend that much for a phone. Absolutely insane.
    KCTraveler and paul-c like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast