1.    #1  
    hi - Pre3 with webOS 2.2.0 (asking for the 2.2.0.3171 update?). Does these OS's multi-task? When I put a streaming video into card mode, both the video and the audio stop till I bring it back to full size...?

surely they should carry on playing in the background if the phone's multi-tasking?

got a similar problem with webOS 3.0.2 - evidentally video streaming in card mode halts the video, but the audio continues!! sort of semi multi-tasking I guess? ;-)

a step backward from 3.0.0 i believe where both video and audio continued in card mode...

thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanEB View Post
    hi - Pre3 with webOS 2.2.0 (asking for the 2.2.0.3171 update?). Does these OS's multi-task? When I put a streaming video into card mode, both the video and the audio stop till I bring it back to full size...?

surely they should carry on playing in the background if the phone's multi-tasking?

got a similar problem with webOS 3.0.2 - evidentally video streaming in card mode halts the video, but the audio continues!! sort of semi multi-tasking I guess? ;-)

a step backward from 3.0.0 i believe where both video and audio continued in card mode...

thanks in advance.
    This is the correct behavior. If you would like the video to keep playing in the background on the TouchPad and the audio and video to keep playing in the background on a Pre, there are patches to achieve that available in Preware for both devices.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    The phone is really 100% mutlitasking! You can dowloand (and install) an App while you read your e-mails and your accounts will be updated. And so on. I really like it. It is one of the things that makes us, Pre users, different from the rest of the "smart phone" world users: our Phone are REAL Smart!
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    You can dowloand (and install) an App while you read your e-mails and your accounts will be updated. And so on. I really like it. It is one of the things that makes us, Pre users, different from the rest of the "smart phone" world users: our Phone are REAL Smart!
    Uh… Android does background installs/updating. I assume apple does it too.

Background installs isn’t what I would consider “multi-tasking.”

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Background installs isn’t what I would consider “multi-tasking.”
    Actually, it's a very good example of multitasking. Switching between two opened apps has little merit. If your computer struggles at it, well, you're basically in Windows 3.11 territory. As you might expect, that milestone was surpassed eons ago. Almost every computer nowadays is based in a multitasking operating system of some sort. If it doesn't allow the user to do more than one thing at a time, it's plainly disallowing it on purpose.

The term "multitasking" has been malformed by recent trends, when people don't see any further than the visual experience. They think that computers don't do anything else besides responding to button clicks from the user, thus believing that, for example, an original iPhone does not multitask. Of course it does - If not, you wouldn't be able to receive a phone call if you were doing anything else at the moment.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the prompt replies; bit new to the Pre 3; so there's Preware, patches, kernels, etc. available for webOS 2.2.0 as well as webOS 3?

i know the patch "[Patch] No video pause when minimized (for webOS 3.0.0)" doesn't appear to work in 3.0.2... there's a video of a TP review on YouTube where I think the reviewer is running 3.0.0 without the patch and it's still streaming the video in card mode... so it appears this functionality has been clobbered in 3.0.2 and there's no patch for it... :-(

anyway, please point me in the direction of the patch for 2.2.0.3171 that enables this - thanks in advance...
    if you want to get picky, webos does multi-apping

ios and android don't. at all. ever. in no situation or scenario. nope, not even the FAMOUS music player on iOS multi-apps. sure, it continues its built-in background tasks, but those are SPECIALLY DESIGNED tasks, built INTO the O.S. to enhance the behavior and usability of the O.S.

webos is the ONLY mobile OS that truly multitasks
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    if you want to get picky, webos does multi-apping
    An ugly term, but true. And that's what people should have done from the start: Pick a new term ("multiapping"), instead of messing with a term that was perfectly valid, and had nothing to do actually.

ios and android don't.
    Sad but true, people are quite happy with this constraints. In the end, it's just user interface considerations.

webos is the ONLY mobile OS that truly multitasks
    Sure. Hey, there's the Playbook, based in the cool QNX. It even stealed some ideas from webOS! ;-)

Pity that, actually, regular people just don't multitask. That's why they are happy with just music playing in the background, while doing something else. This kind of outrageous (for us) limitations tend to help in order to have a consisten user experience. Who knows, perhaps in some years, the trend will be single-function-at-a-time computers, just like we had in the early eighties, with those applications ruled by a single menu, with fixed control flows.
    Multitasking is the big reason I'm coming back to Webos from Android.
    Oh and the reason why video is stopped in card mode is because it kills battery power. And the Pre already has power issues. But if you really want to be able to see a video in card mode it's possible...