1.    #1  
    Hey guys, welcome to the AT&T Pre3 club. Now, you guys are running around in circles worried about doctoring your Pre3 if hell breaks lose. Rod has you covered.

This involves changing your Pre3 tokens to make it seem as an EU Pre3. The only downside to this is: you will lose (bloatware) AT&T apps (including ATT Nav).

You will gain:
    **SKYPE!**
    **Ability to doctor from the EU Doctor**

Everything else works great, no loss in performance in network, etc.
    Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

I went in and made it easier for the less technical users to do this also.

Also, if someone can format it correctly, the last few steps should not be 1,2, 1,2, but 10, 11, 12, 13, etc
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Hey guys, welcome to the AT&T Pre3 club. Now, you guys are running around in circles worried about doctoring your Pre3 if hell breaks lose. Rod has you covered.

This involves changing your Pre3 tokens to make it seem as an EU Pre3. The only downside to this is: you will lose (bloatware) AT&T apps (including ATT Nav).

You will gain:
    **SKYPE!**
    **Ability to doctor from the EU Doctor**

Everything else works great, no loss in performance in network, etc.
    Pre 3 Impersonation - WebOS Internals

I went in and made it easier for the less technical users to do this also.

Also, if someone can format it correctly, the last few steps should not be 1,2, 1,2, but 10, 11, 12, 13, etc
    Mods, can you make this a sticky? Way to many people making threads and posts about this
    Is WebOS Doctor for UK works for German Pre 3 too?

If there is no WebOS Doctor for AT&T, can someone expert make a "cooked" webOS doctor for AT&T?

For Linux and Mac savvy, it is not hard to customized the WebOS doctor, for Windows user that really not Linux & Mac savvy it is really hard to understand the step by step manual.

I have Pre+ using WebOS 2.1, because of help from member (I forgot) that can make "cooked" 2.1 firmware very very easy, just click here and there, waiting for download, and it is done.

Can HomeBrew community do that? I know there is maybe legal problem, but HP already ditch WebOS.. AT&T Pre 3 sold to market and no legal issue so far. It is orphan now. Even HP don't care with their own product, and they never care with the support too.

If HomeBrew community can do that, then I'm sure lots of AT&T Pre 3 buyers here want to donate more and more.

This is just my thought, I haven't buy AT&T Pre 3 for myself, due I already bought German version, and not yet arrived till now.. It almost 2 weeks, and I think need around 3-4 weeks to arrived. and I'm quite P1$$ed when see AT&T Pre 3 available on market with same price I bought mine.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Is WebOS Doctor for UK works for German Pre 3 too?

If there is no WebOS Doctor for AT&T, can someone expert make a "cooked" webOS doctor for AT&T?

For Linux and Mac savvy, it is not hard to customized the WebOS doctor, for Windows user that really not Linux & Mac savvy it is really hard to understand the step by step manual.

I have Pre+ using WebOS 2.1, because of help from member (I forgot) that can make "cooked" 2.1 firmware very very easy, just click here and there, waiting for download, and it is done.

Can HomeBrew community do that? I know there is maybe legal problem, but HP already ditch WebOS.. AT&T Pre 3 sold to market and no legal issue so far. It is orphan now. Even HP don't care with their own product, and they never care with the support too.

If HomeBrew community can do that, then I'm sure lots of AT&T Pre 3 buyers here want to donate more and more.

This is just my thought, I haven't buy AT&T Pre 3 for myself, due I already bought German version, and not yet arrived till now.. It almost 2 weeks, and I think need around 3-4 weeks to arrived. and I'm quite P1$$ed when see AT&T Pre 3 available on market with same price I bought mine.
    Lets see if Rod has anything to say about whether this method works for German Pre3 and then I will be very glad to help.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I am contemplating proceeding with the meta-doctor. Please excuse that I am not a nix person. In poking around the Ubuntu website I am confused by the instruction to download the Desktop Edition, not the windows installer. The only Desktop Edition I see is 8.10, not 11.04. I am going where no Altman has gone before and dont want to go wrong right there at step 1.

The file I am downloading is ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso, is this the right one? Using winrar I can see wubi inside, can I just extract to my thumb drive using winrar?

I have my tokens file and am ready to cook, but like i say this is going to where no Altman has gone before and guidance is certainly appreciated. l
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    I have an at&t pre3, and it has skype on it... Don't they all?
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Skype was not on it as it left the factory for AT&T. It was added through the app catalog.
    Jim Altman
    Actually got a question for those who did it... Before and after the impersonation, do you gain the Bluetooth PAN profile?

My Veer doesn't have it and it's annoying as hell.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I have an at&t pre3, and it has skype on it... Don't they all?
    You were late to the party haha
    losing att nav ain't that big a deal if ndrive runs on it. Love that app.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Alright, I bit the bullet and have made it all the way to having the custom doctor. Let me ask this. If i re-edit mantaray.xml and put the values in from the tokens file I saved and rebuilt, but for there is no doctor to re-run for the AT&T phone, I'd be back, right? Just want to understand what I am doing.

I am going to hold off actually doing it for a bit, see if HP makes some sort of move, like announce all you people with AT&T are SOL, or we are going to support it, or we're going to shutter the whole place and sell HP to the Mensheviks.
    Jim Altman
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    Alright, I bit the bullet and have made it all the way to having the custom doctor. Let me ask this. If i re-edit mantaray.xml and put the values in from the tokens file I saved and rebuilt, but for there is no doctor to re-run for the AT&T phone, I'd be back, right? Just want to understand what I am doing.

I am going to hold off actually doing it for a bit, see if HP makes some sort of move, like announce all you people with AT&T are SOL, or we are going to support it, or we're going to shutter the whole place and sell HP to the Mensheviks.
    Yes, that would be the only logical way. Man, I really hope they save HP. I was reading about Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard and it makes me sad how some dumb board-members stained the pride of HP.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Can someone tell me why it is not possible to grab an "image" off of a fresh AT&T Pre3 to be used to restore later. Don't most computers work that way? What's difference about the "doctor" file?
    So I would like to Dr my ATT Pre3 to a WR Pre3

I'm on a mac, and have followed the wiki.

This page is for anyone who wants to make a certain Pre 3 model impersonate ...................Note that the device continues to have the same cellular frequency bands, and continues to have the same amount of flash memory.

Done this

Install "Show Properties" on your device (found in Preware) and email yourself the complete token set before you start.
    This is your backup in case you make a mistake.

Done this

Download and setup the webOS Metadoctor.
    This is a tool that helps us modify the official doctor and then flash it onto our phones.

Stopped here

Follow that page but DO NOT FOLLOW after where it says "STEP 2: Running the webOS Doctor" on that guide!!!! Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Done this

In the terminal, type

./scripts/meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.0
    (to make an AT&T Pre 3 into an EU Pre 3).

But then I get: Not Found?

When I look in the scripts folder, the executable file is meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4

I have tried the command ./scripts/meta-att-pre3-impersonate-wr-2.2.4

But then I still get Not Found

I kinda feel like I am missing something. I have moved a copy of the Dr file to /meta-doctor/downloads/ but I don't think this is necessary anymore according to the wiki.

My device connects fine with novaterm but the wiki says run the command in terminal anyway?

Anyone have a hint for me?

Does this command run on the phone when its connected, or on the .jar file?

edit: my mistake, need to be in terminal cd meta-doctor

now I have Cannot find wget. Please install it.

bit of a trip, but all done
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 03/11/2012 at 04:09 AM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3