Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Verizon locks their SIM slot to an international carrier (can't remember who), so technically the SIM is locked to the carrier they have a contract with. So you would have to get the SIM slot unlocked to put another SIM in it. For CDMA it is still "locked" to VZW. Depending on the frequencies, if you unlock the GSM side it is possible you won't get 3G speeds in US and I am pretty sure it doesn't support the ATT "4G".

I think that should clear up all technicalities in this matter.

Now the big question, is VZW actually activating these phones on their network?
    Probably Vodafone. They own part of Verizon.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Probably Vodafone. They own part of Verizon.
    Toni wins the prize! It's got a Vodafone SIM card in there, which it is supposedly SIM-locked to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jennykoeune View Post
    Toni wins the prize! It's got a Vodafone SIM card in there, which it is supposedly SIM-locked to.
    Sent you a PM, plase reply with info requested.
    thxs.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Interesting...Verizon has raised the price of upgrade to a Pre2 from $49.99 to $149.99
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    crud. tomorrow is the first day I could have gone and upgraded to pre2 with an ETF. Maybe it's a sign to sit tight, which I had pretty much decided to do, and wait to snag a pre3 on ebay. Still it was nice to know the pre2 was there waiting at $49.99.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lware14 View Post
    crud. tomorrow is the first day I could have gone and upgraded to pre2 with an ETF. Maybe it's a sign to sit tight, which I had pretty much decided to do, and wait to snag a pre3 on ebay. Still it was nice to know the pre2 was there waiting at $49.99.
    A Pre 2 can't cost that much more than $50 right now
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    A Pre 2 can't cost that much more than $50 right now
    a $100 more is not chicken feed to me the poster above me said it went from $50 to $150 today.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lware14 View Post
    a $100 more is not chicken feed to me the poster above me said it went from $50 to $150 today.
    I mean without a contract
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I mean without a contract
    no, actually new pre2's on e-bay go for about $150.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    This might help you guys clear things up with the sim slot.

I have a Verizon "world phone."
    The sim slot in the back comes with a Vodafone sim, but it can work with virtually any GSM out of country. Verizon provides rates and contracts on there site, obviously touting Vodafone as the best deal.

In country (US) you can not use the phone on any other GSM, it is locked to Verizon CDMA. Supposedly you can crack it to run on any GSM bands accepted by the phone.

I assume they use the exact same model with the Pre3, so world wide it is "unlocked" to a degree.
    It's good to see the prices dropping somewhat, even if it is just into the 600-700 dollar range vs 800+

I'm hoping they drop into the 300-400 range but I might bite at 400-500.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    It's good to see the prices dropping somewhat, even if it is just into the 600-700 dollar range vs 800+

I'm hoping they drop into the 300-400 range but I might bite at 400-500.
    Yeah, at $599 I'm tempted, would like to see $300-$400ish. If it ever lists for the price the ATT ones are going for on ebay, just over $200, I will defiantly be buying one to replace my phone that is only a few months old.
    Escapingjavert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by glamdring View Post

The sim slot in the back comes with a Vodafone sim, but it can work with virtually any GSM out of country. Verizon provides rates and contracts on there site, obviously touting Vodafone as the best deal.

In country (US) you can not use the phone on any other GSM, it is locked to Verizon CDMA. Supposedly you can crack it to run on any GSM bands accepted by the phone.

I assume they use the exact same model with the Pre3, so world wide it is "unlocked" to a degree.
    Could you please clarify whether or not one needs to activate or unlock SIM with verizon first before being able to use any other overseas GSM SIM? I recently received Verizon Pre 3 but havent setup it up yet because I am not their customer yet. Do I have to be on verizon to be able to use the GSM portion when I am travelling overseas? Thanks much.

Has anyone been successful unlocking their Verizon Pre 3 for AT&T or TMo?

-- Sent from my PandaPad using Communities
    I see pandas.
    I have the same question. I have a Verizon Pre 3 on the way, and I travel to Norway frequently for work. I have a Telenor SIM that I've been using in an unlocked Nexus S (Android phone). I'd love to use my Pre 3 as both, but haven't seen a definite answer to whether it's SIM-locked to Vodafone overseas. Can anyone shed some light?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Sprint__________________________ GSM___ Verizon_________________
    I saw one go for $550 today. Still too much for me but its getting closer to being in my budget

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    This link should provide you with most of the information you are looking for from Verizon: Global Phone
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I found someone who replaced the sim in their trophy:

"2. in GSM countries, once you insert your own SIM and set (settings/ cellular / mode) the phone to GSM, the phone will detect the new sim and ask for an unlock code. I got mine by calling 800 711 8300, option 2, and asking for the code. they connected me to a technician who gave it to me.

3. After the network was detected and I could make a call I still had to re-boot the phone to get email to connect."

Original post: Re: International use with my own SIM - Verizon Wireless Community
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    employee, internal tester or someone with 5 fingers. So... does this have a possiblity of being able to be used on sprint. or did I get ****ed just buying a pre 2.
    It's been said before, if the phone doesn't say Sprint on it, Sprint will never activate it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123