webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Pre 3 > Getting a button-less pre3 to the doctor from a boot loop
Getting a button-less pre3 to the doctor from a boot loop

Old 09/17/2011, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just thought this info might help others who can't get a doctor working on their Pre3.

As a result of a remote wipe because I had thought my Pre3 stolen, it was stuck in an endless boot cycle: flashing HP logo, keyboard lit and turned off repeatedly and even USB hookup sound on the computer was heard (it was plugged into my laptop). After waiting for hours, I tried to doctor...and couldn't.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals describes a method requires a press on the volume up, while manipulating the USB cable and doing a battery pull. This did not work on my Pre3 - not because taking off the back cover "removes" the volume rocker button (you can still push it with a fingernail) but because the "battery ?" icon kept going out.

Luckily, I was finally able to get it into USB Update mode but using a version of the technique from this link (Palm Support : Troubleshooting webOS Doctor). The object is to get the device off, and then bring it back with the Power and volume up, then the Doctor will recognize it. The methods suggested for getting there however (a. pushing the center button 10 times and b. holding down the Power buttons) did not work in this case.

I imagine a battery pull would work, but in my case, I used SYM + OPT + R to break the boot loop, get the shutdown icon, then hit POWER + Volume up. Since you can't pull a battery on a Veer, only three fingered salute would probably work on it.

(Note: SYM + OPT + R didn't work by itself...it would go always restart the endless bootscreen.)

Hope this helps others!
Old 12/22/2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
Just thought this info might help others who can't get a doctor working on their Pre3.

~~but in my case, I used SYM + OPT + R to break the boot loop, get the shutdown icon, then hit POWER + Volume up~~!
REPORT: I had the endless boot after the 2.2.4 ota update so I used this very helpful information to do the doctor process ...HOWEVER, a hint I hope will be helpful is this...

1. OPT is the "square on the left used to get numbers etc on the keyboard" and it is NOT the uppercase key...
2. PRESS the OPT+R+SYM in that order and hold to get a reboot with notification area message
3. IMMEDIATELY press the power and up-volme and HOLD until you see the USB symbol
4. That's all ...proceed to doctor!!

Last edited by patapoof; 12/22/2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typo...silly me
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0