Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Someone just lifted my Pre3 out of my backpack pretty skillfully. After realizing it was gone (couldn't have been more than 10 minutes) I borrowed my wife's Pre and while I called it (listening for the ringtone), I was changing passwords on principal accounts and engaging remote erase from my Palm (ahem HP) Profile. The Profile page told me that the remote wipe signal was successfully sent.

For at least 15 more minutes, I was able to call the device. Since it didn't go directly to voice mail, I'm believe that thief did not think to deactivate it, did not know how to do it (using the long press on the power button), or had no idea how to get the battery cover off (which actual Pre3 owners can fully understand!!! For once, HP/Palm, I forgive this quirk in design.) Then again, in an iPhone world, batteries aren't replaceable, are they?

I refreshed the Profile page and there was no longer any devices in my profile, so I went to my carrier's page and deactivated the SIM card too.

My question is this: There is no message in the inbox of the mail account related to the Palm Profile, and on the Profile itself, there is no confirmation of the remote wipe. Does the fact that the device is no longer on the Profile page mean it was successful?

Additional question: Does send the remote wipe automatically erase the device from your Palm Profile?
    Last edited by Goyena; 09/17/2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    hmm...couldn't you have used the profile to track down the phone?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I was in a shopping mall.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    No, I mean call HP and get them to track the phone location or something?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    OMG, I'm so sorry for you. I Really hope you can get another one.
    Oh man Goyena, that is so sad! I do think that remote wipe works as named: it fully erases the device when you press the button.

Also: keep an eye on your local craigslist or eBay listings. The thief probably doesn't know this is a unique phone and will try to sell it just like a stolen iPhone. Be on alert.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Well, good news and other news.

The good news is that I retraced my steps and - miracle of miracles - found my Pre3 hiding under shelves. This mall is so noisy and full of people that my 20 calls didn't even elicit any attention at all.

In other news, just wanted to let you all know that the remote wipe works. Not only is everything gone (including the USB partition at /media/internals), but the Pre 3 was knocked into an endless boot cycle loop, that I just found my way out of.

This leads me to an interesting thing learned, and the subject of another thread: Pre 3 owners have found out by now that when you take off the back cover, you take of the buttons. This makes it difficult to hit the button combination (volume up) that put your Pre minuses up to 2s into so-called "USB mode". That's the place you want to be if your webOS doctor refuses to recognized you connected device. In other words, the "Next" button in the Doctor is greyed out.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Congrats. Stressful day!

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Well, good news and other news.

The good news is that I retraced my steps and - miracle of miracles - found my Pre3 hiding under shelves. This mall is so noisy and full of people that my 20 calls didn't even elicit any attention at all.

In other news, just wanted to let you all know that the remote wipe works. Not only is everything gone (including the USB partition at /media/internals), but the Pre 3 was knocked into an endless boot cycle loop, that I just found my way out of.

This leads me to an interesting thing learned, and the subject of another thread: Pre 3 owners have found out by now that when you take off the back cover, you take of the buttons. This makes it difficult to hit the button combination (volume up) that put your Pre minuses up to 2s into so-called "USB mode". That's the place you want to be if your webOS doctor refuses to recognized you connected device. In other words, the "Next" button in the Doctor is greyed out.
    That might need rewriting. I read it three times and it still doesn't make sense to me, but it's probably just me.

Anyway, I am glad you found your phone. I'll be taking extra care of mine from now on too.
    glad it was somehow still there, its a bad feeling loosing your mobile