Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frantid
  1.    #1  
    This is my first WebOS device (coming from devices using Android), and I love it. It's a great OS, only downside being that there are fewer apps in comparison to devices running Android... but that doesn't bother me so much as I didn't use/could live without 95% of the apps anyway! The thing I love most about the Pre3 is that it is a portrait slider with a decent physical keyboard, which makes texting/emailing a joy... I much prefer the physical keyboard, it's so much more satisfying, I never want to go back to using a virtual keyboard (shame portrait sliders aren't that common).

But although I do love the device, I'm concerned as to whether it's going to last. I'm just not sure how robust the slider mechanism is -- I guess I'm looking for reassurance.

I have noticed that when I tap the bottom-left (and up to the middle) of the device when the slider is closed there is some movement which isn't there when I tap on the right side.

I can also slightly move the top half of the device (screen half) slightly from left to right, but not right to left.

When the slider is open, applying some pressure onto the bottom left (of the screen half) there is some movement; trying to same thing on the right side doesn't reproduce the movement.

If I open the slider and twist slightly, there is a slight movement.

The device also creaks where the USB slot is, think the back cover has loosened (perhaps from removing the back cover... but I've only removed it twice!)

Is this something I should be worried about? I'm on contract for a year, so as long as it lasts that long I'm happy (although of course, I'd like it to last a lot longer because it is such a great device). Anyone else have concerns/comments about the build quality of their Pre3?
    Seems some people here have same problem with you. You can find Thread title Slider getting loose? That topic discussed same problem with you.

Seems Veer build quality is the best so far. Despite it is tiny, but it is very good phone.
    I just got my Pre3, but it seems more solid than my Pre2. My Pre2 is still like new after about a year.

If I may offer some advice, stop trying to test it. I don't know any moving mechanical device that doesn't loosen if it is constantly being tested at it's stress points. Except maybe a single cast hammer. When you clean the screen, hold it so both halves don't move. It's what I do and I never had a problem. My 2 year old Pre- has only the slightest wiggle.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    it has to be able to move so it can slide.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i wouldn't worry about it. a slider mechanism is never going to be as solid as a slate/candybar, no matter how well engineered it is.

it's WORLDS better than the Pre+, which i had for over a year and i was constantly dropping it and unintentionally mistreating it. it is still in great shape apart from some (okay, many) scratches and a broken usb door flap (that was poor design).

IMHO i can't imagine it being built any better than it is. it will last you longer than a year and if you look after it, it should last you many years.

i have no concerns whatsoever about its built quality.
  6.    #6  
    Makes me feel a bit better -- thanks.

I believe HP gives a 2 year warranty, but I have no idea what they'd actually do if something did go seriously wrong with the phone... since they aren't making any more Pre3's.

Anyway, just have to see what happens, hopefully the slider doesn't get more wobbly.
  7.    #7  
    Creaking around the USB port was annoying me so I took the back cover off and placed some foamy material where the creaking was. No more creaking now. I think that due to the back cover being difficult to remove it's unavoidable that the plastic is going to get out of shape and thus cause creaking.

I don't know how you guys remove the back cover but I stick my fingernail in and move it along the gap until I can get a big enough gap. I think this is what may have caused the case to lose its shape.

Anyway that's the creaking issue solved...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Creaking around the USB port was annoying me so I took the back cover off and placed some foamy material where the creaking was. No more creaking now. I think that due to the back cover being difficult to remove it's unavoidable that the plastic is going to get out of shape and thus cause creaking.

I don't know how you guys remove the back cover but I stick my fingernail in and move it along the gap until I can get a big enough gap. I think this is what may have caused the case to lose its shape.

Anyway that's the creaking issue solved...

i used the plastic cradle its packaged in, just slid it under the case and moved it around the sides and the case came off ok, i bite my nails so plan b came into fruition.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    I would say the quality is good, however, I hear a little bit of rattling by the camera. In fact, when I'm in the camera app, it makes a sound sometimes. Like a part is loose.
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    I would say the quality is good, however, I hear a little bit of rattling by the camera. In fact, when I'm in the camera app, it makes a sound sometimes. Like a part is loose.
    ive heard that sound, assumed it was the auto focus seeing as the sound, sounds liek old cameras zooming in/out.
    Yes the Autofocus is loud, don't worry about it, its working fine

Barry
  12.    #12  
    You guys sure it isn't the power and silent mode button/switch? Mine both rattle, thought that was normal.
    Same here. Not as solid as I hoped. When the slider is closed the top moves down a little when tapping the screen. That annoys me so I use the phone opened all the time which makes sense anyway.
    I would also recommend to ignore it. As long as its not getting incredibly worse.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    This is my first WebOS device (coming from devices using Android), and I love it. It's a great OS, only downside being that there are fewer apps in comparison to devices running Android... but that doesn't bother me so much as I didn't use/could live without 95% of the apps anyway! The thing I love most about the Pre3 is that it is a portrait slider with a decent physical keyboard, which makes texting/emailing a joy... I much prefer the physical keyboard, it's so much more satisfying, I never want to go back to using a virtual keyboard (shame portrait sliders aren't that common).

But although I do love the device, I'm concerned as to whether it's going to last. I'm just not sure how robust the slider mechanism is -- I guess I'm looking for reassurance.

I have noticed that when I tap the bottom-left (and up to the middle) of the device when the slider is closed there is some movement which isn't there when I tap on the right side.

I can also slightly move the top half of the device (screen half) slightly from left to right, but not right to left.

When the slider is open, applying some pressure onto the bottom left (of the screen half) there is some movement; trying to same thing on the right side doesn't reproduce the movement.

If I open the slider and twist slightly, there is a slight movement.

The device also creaks where the USB slot is, think the back cover has loosened (perhaps from removing the back cover... but I've only removed it twice!)

Is this something I should be worried about? I'm on contract for a year, so as long as it lasts that long I'm happy (although of course, I'd like it to last a lot longer because it is such a great device). Anyone else have concerns/comments about the build quality of their Pre3?
    MY FRIEND, i can solve you creaking issues:

see: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...eaky-case.html
    Still Better built than pre-

Damn it had a plastic screen, remember?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm quite satisfied with the build quality of my Pre 3. Usually I'm quite hard on handsets, this one seems solid and I have none of the problems described above... Yet. Keyboard is superb. Fingers crossed it lasts... I don't want to think about the prospect of getting a replacement if something happened...

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    MY FRIEND, i can solve you creaking issues:

see: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...eaky-case.html
    My creaking was specifically due to the plastic around the USB slot becoming loose -- fixed it by placing some foamy material there... no more creaks
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i wouldn't worry about it. a slider mechanism is never going to be as solid as a slate/candybar, no matter how well engineered it is.
    (..)
    IMHO i can't imagine it being built any better than it is. it will last you longer than a year and if you look after it, it should last you many years.
    ...seems there is some significant variation between productin batches/sliders precision... Mine was wobbly (left/right, and back/forth), but I have disassembled the phone and corrected the slider in "open" position using some tough love & persuasion - it is solid as a rock left/right now, but is still rocking back/forth about 1.5mm, as before. I have some idea how to correct it, but it is very difficult to modify something such densely packaged/tiny as modern smartphone internals

Regarding "slider is never going to be as solid as slate", hmmm, I am not a mechanical engineer, but I could think straight off the top of my hat two separate solutions, how to make it sturdy/non-moving in both open & closed positions, it is just a matter of design (to a larger degree), and manufacturing process (to a lesser degree, because it could be designed quite easily to make it *****-proof in manufacturing to quite a large tolerances)

Of course candybar/slab would be easier to manufacture (none of these challenges), but come on, slider mechanism is but one of the simplest possible mechanical devices, and it is just a matter of designing a proper "parking" catchers at the end of the move, that would catch & immobilise it (and the ones designed for Pre 3 are not well thought out, IMHO, could have been done better very easily). Think about two funnels getting one into another, as an example of a "parking" device I am talking about (and you need three of them to make the connection absolutely rigid in any plane) or some wedges, or some neodymium magnets (that is my next goal, to make my phone "click & catch" open, we will se if it is possible to fit a magnet under the hood the way it could catch & lock the slider at the end of the move)

So it could definitely be done better, and the metal slider itself, hmm, it is not very robust piece of metal IMHO, from what I've seen under the hood, it is rather delicate and all that plastic and even mainboard is more rigid than a slider itself, and only after screwing them all together it has any rigidity at all.

Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Yes the Autofocus is loud, don't worry about it, its working fine

Barry
    is it supposed to be loud to give the user feedback that it's trying to focus?