1.    #1  
    I did it, bought the UK QWERTY Pre 3 from eBay. At 150 pounds I thought it was a low enough of a risk to try out on the Rogers/Fido network in Canada.

Below is the list of Top 25 applications I use, was wondering if existing Pre 3 users could take a look and give me some guidance. My preference is to have apps that use what looks to be a wonderful large screen but in the absence of availability emulated mode is better than nothing!

1. Skype -- This I read is integrated with the Dialer, my understanding the Video Calling is working with the front camera as well?

2. Facebook -- is this pre-installed on the phone?

3. RSS Reader that works with Google Reader -- I have been reading that NewsRoom is the only RSS reader, is this the case and does it work with Google?

4. Twitter Client -- I have been reading Carbon is the best, I have been using Spaz on my Pre 2...people also talk about Tweed. Which one is best and full resolution?

5. Navigation (w/o Data connectivity) -- is there a mapping application where one can download the maps on the phone so it will work with Data shut off? I have been reading about Navit and one other similar app. Which is full resolution and best to use?

6. Tethering -- I have been using Mobile Hotspot app and it works great, does this work with the Pre 3 or is their a better app?

7. QR / Bar Code Reader -- something that also has a price comparison engine like Shop Savvy or Google Shopper. Does this exist?

8. PreCentral App -- Does it exist in full resolution?

9. Engaget App -- Does it exist in full resolution?

10. Shazam or other music identifier -- I've never had this on the Pre so was wondering if the API for the mic are open now and if this has changed and/or if the app exists?

11. Visual Voicemail -- You View by Synactix? Saw it in an article but cannot find it on the web anywhere...

12. Yelp / AroundME -- Does such an app exist for the Pre 3?

13. Google Translate or Google Goggles -- do either of these exist?

14. Sports News -- Sports Live! seems like the logical choice, what is the best for pre 3?

15. Best Weather App -- hopefully with animation!

16. Travel Search Engine like Kayak?

17. Wi-Fi Media sync?

18. Podcast manager app?

19. Evernote -- on the HP site it says this is on the pre 3?

20. Pandora / Tuneit

21. Instapaper

22. Spotify (saw an installation guide in this one)

23. IMDB or Flixster or some kind of movie database with showtime finder?

24. Tripit

25. Kayak or any other travel search

Thanks in Advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-E-A-S-T View Post
    I did it, bought the UK QWERTY Pre 3 from eBay. At 150 pounds I thought it was a low enough of a risk to try out on the Rogers/Fido network in Canada.

Below is the list of Top 25 applications I use, was wondering if existing Pre 3 users could take a look and give me some guidance. My preference is to have apps that use what looks to be a wonderful large screen but in the absence of availability emulated mode is better than nothing!
    1. Skype -- This I read is integrated with the Dialer, my understanding the Video Calling is working with the front camera as well?
    I have not tried video calls with skype on my pre3, but text chat on skype works well for me. I do have to keep my pre3 signed out of skype because of the lack of ability to have different methods for notification (for me - ringtones) between SMS and skype. I need a loud ringtone for SMS but for skype it just gets out of hand as people in the group chats keep talking and the ringtone can go off say 5 times in 10 seconds.

No, and I don't use facebook so can't test this.

3. RSS Reader that works with Google Reader -- I have been reading that NewsRoom is the only RSS reader, is this the case and does it work with Google?
    I don't use google services but I do not see "NewsRoom" on my Pre3. I see things like Slide RSS, RSSExhibition and News Feed.

4. Twitter Client -- I have been reading Carbon is the best, I have been using Spaz on my Pre 2...people also talk about Tweed. Which one is best and full resolution?
    I don't use twitter, but I see both carbon and spaz in the catalog on my pre3

5. Navigation (w/o Data connectivity) -- is there a mapping application where one can download the maps on the phone so it will work with Data shut off? I have been reading about Navit and one other similar app. Which is full resolution and best to use?
    Not aware of any of these, there is a full blown package for Pre2 (forgot the name) but I don't see it available on Pre3.

6. Tethering -- I have been using Mobile Hotspot app and it works great, does this work with the Pre 3 or is their a better app?
    I have a Sprint Mifi for that I use for this purpose so I don't use my phone. Picked up a AT&T unlocked 3G Mifi as well recently just in case as a backup.

7. QR / Bar Code Reader -- something that also has a price comparison engine like Shop Savvy or Google Shopper. Does this exist?
    I don't use anything like this, a quick search on the catalog doesn't show anything obvious in this field.

A quick search does not reveal any Precentral apps on my pre3.

Engadget loads at full resolution for me

10. Shazam or other music identifier -- I've never had this on the Pre so was wondering if the API for the mic are open now and if this has changed and/or if the app exists?
    I don't see anything named Shazam, I don't use any apps like this

11. Visual Voicemail -- You View by Synactix? Saw it in an article but cannot find it on the web anywhere...
    Don't know. don't use anything like this.

Yelp is available, never used it.

There is something called 'Translator' that says it uses Google translate. I think I have this app on my TP but have never used it.

14. Sports News -- Sports Live! seems like the logical choice, what is the best for pre 3?
    No comment - not a big sports fan. I like football but don't follow the news on it. Sports live is available though.

I like Accuweather, works just as well on the Pre3 as it did on my Pre- as far as I can tell

Don't know

17. Wi-Fi Media sync?
    Don't know don't use this.

18. Podcast manager app?
    Don't know don't use this.

I see Evernote, have not used it.

20. Pandora / Tuneit
    I see Pandora, not Tuneit, have not used either.

21. Instapaper
    I do not see this, never used it.

I do not see this, never used it.

There are apps Movie info which gives movie info, and Movie times which says it gives showtimes. Have not used them.

24. Tripit
    Do not see it, never used it.

Quick search doesn't show anything that looks like a generic travel search, no Kayak, never used it
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    skype video has prefect quality from my pre3 to ipad1.
    But stranger thing happened when pre3 calling to PC via skype, I could not open video from my side.
    On the subject of navigation, look up NDrive. There is a beta programme which, if you sign up, gives you any maps you want.

The latest beta works very well unless you are between 0 and 1 degrees west (i.e. from Greenwich meridian to -1 degrees). This is caused by a bug in the SDK which NDrive are aware of and I expect a work around in the next beta.
    1. Skype is integrated in browser and messaging application. Both work well.
    2. Facebook might be pre-installed (free download anyhow).
    3. NewsRoom is great, not the only RSS reader, but I don't think it supports Google Reader (never used it)
    4. Twitter Client = Unknown
    5. Navigation - I imagine that NDrive will work in Canada, but I've switched to Navit due to how hard the developer has been working to get it on the Pre3. It is not running great, although it does crash occassionally. It's free, and syncs with just type. However you should make a donation if you decide to use it.
    6. Tethering - I get an error when using Mobile Hotspot telling me that my provider does not allow it. I am therefore using freetether, which works great.
    7. QR / Bar Code Reader - Not that I know of, although there might be a server-side app.
    8. PreCentral App - Opens up a webbrowser window instead.
    9. Engaget App - Don't know. I use newsroom rss for Engadget.
    10. Shazam or other music identifier - No idea
    11. Visual Voicemail - No Idea
    12. Yelp / AroundME - Yelp exists and works
    13. Google Translate or Google Goggles - Don't think so.
    14. Sports News - No Idea
    15. Best Weather App - No Idea
    16. Travel Search Engine like Kayak? - No Idea
    17. Wi-Fi Media sync? - Available but not used.
    18. Podcast manager app - No Idea
    19. Evernote - No Idea
    20. Pandora / Tuneit - In the UK so can't get Pandora. I use Tunein by Radiotime
    21. Instapaper - No Idea
    22. Spotify (saw an installation guide in this one) - Should work with a bit of tweaking. Not Tried.
    23. IMDB or Flixster or some kind of movie database with showtime finder? Flixster (I get an error on startup, but it seems to work).
    24. Tripit - No idea
    25. Kayak or any other travel search - No idea
    1. Skype: Yes, fully integrated including video calls with the front camera.

2. Facebook: Not sure if pre-installed. You can download it for free from the App Cat anyway.

3. RSS Reader that works with Google Reader: Feeder

4. Twitter Client: TweetMe, Carbon, Spaz, weTwit, Twee, Bad Kitty, Lithium Messenger, and maybe even more. I don't use Twitter, so I don't know which one is the best.

6. Tethering: Mobile Hotspot works for me on the Pre 3. If not, there's freetether from Preware.

8. PreCentral App: I use Forums.

13. Google Translate: Translate! uses Google services. There are more translation apps, just search the App Cat.

17. Wi-Fi Media sync? Is available.

18. Podcast manager app? drPodder

19. Evernote: Yes the Evernote app is available and working (for me at least)

21. Instapaper: Spare Time

23. IMDB: You could use the Imdb website for looking up showtimes.

24. Tripit: TripThat
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    see below. i've skipped questions that i can't help you with.

yes it works, you need to set up your skype account in the preferences for the dialler app.

can't remember if it's pre-installed or in the app catalogue, but it's available.

i use Carbon and prefer it over the others.

the Pre3 comes with a wifi hotspot app which works perfectly for me. haven't tried any others, but used to use FreeTether on my Pre+- presumably that works too.

there is one in the app store but i don't think it integrates with shopper or anything, just resolves to a URL i think.

i think there's an unofficial one but i haven't used it.

there was one on the Pre and i presume it works on the Pre3 but haven't tried it (i prefer the mobile website).

a yelp app exists but it's crap compared to what you get on other platforms- lacks features. foursquare is there and is very good.

ReWeather is simple, pretty and does the job. don't think it has animation.

17. Wi-Fi Media sync?

18. Podcast manager app?
    i've only used drPodder. it's okay.

so it is... i never noticed! thanks.

20. Pandora / Tuneit

21. Instapaper

not in the app catalogue, but the old build from the Pre works. google for "spotify on the touchpad"- the instructions work for the Pre 3 also.

24. Tripit

Thanks in Advance.
    not a problem at all, sir.
  8.    #8  
    Thank You for all of the feedback. Any other thoughts on the following four apps:

1. Qr/Barcode Reader with Shopping Price Comparision -- this seems to be all the rage in appland in iOS and Android

2. Shazam or some other song identifier -- I am assuming the Mic is still not open to developers

3. You View by Syntactic -- has anyone used this or does it exist?

4. Kayak or any other travel price comparison app?

Thanks.