Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Something very strange just happened to me.
    A bit of background info, my Pre3's slider was loose when closed before this happened. you could press in the left 2/3rd of the screen and it would move roughly 1/2mm, kind of like a Blackberry Storm, only non-intentional. When open, it was completely solid.
    I was taking the back cover off my Pre3 to take a look at the screws to see if they were loose and thus causing the slight gap between the two halves of the phone. The battery cover suddenly came off and I dropped the phone about 1 1/2ft onto hard tiles. Panicking I quickly picked it up to check for damage, only to find it 100% unscathed. Relieved I decided to check the wiggle. Lo and behold, it was as solid as a rock. I replaced the battery cover and am now writing this post from my newly-tight Pre3.

It might have been the fact that the battery cover was put on wrong and so it started wiggling (might be something worth checking for others with loose sliders) or it could have been that the slider was loose and the sharp impact put something back into place. I'm not sure, but I figured I should share the story anyway I was getting worried about my screen wiggle, now I'm totally happy with it

Disclaimer: I do not advocate throwing shiny, expensive gadgets at hard surfaces. Do not try this at home.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    sara.ramli and retroblu like this.
    maybe we need someone expert in hardware dissect to give more info why pre3 slider can loose?
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like a good idea to me, though since they're so rare I wonder if anyone'd want to sacrifice their Pre3 for a teardown :P
    Same here in my pre-, after droped 1st time, I was worried but soon I discovered that the slider just works better then before.
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll just chuck my Pre3 down the stairs and report back my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll just chuck my Pre3 down the stairs and report back my findings.

Please make sure the stairs are concrete....for science
    that's very interesting. My pre3's slider is loose as well. It wiggles slightly when pressing at the speaker or gesture area (so it's a rocking motion along the vertical axis, not left and right). I'm not planning to throw my phone to the ground but hearing this is somewhat encouraging. Worth posting a request at ifixit for a tear-down. As you said though, these beauties are rare.

by the way (off topic). I keep having problems login into precentral forums with my webos devices, which I find ironic. Does anyone noticed this as well? Had to clear the cookies for it to work.
    webOS internals has done a disassembly of the pre3
    HP Pre3 disassembly
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    Same here in my pre-, after droped 1st time, I was worried but soon I discovered that the slider just works better then before.
    Same thing on my Pre-! It was loose, dropped it, tightened it up - for good! LOL

... and just yesterday I dropped my Pre 2 - wasn't loose, and didn't loosen...

Note to self: I gotta stop dropping these things!
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    Quote Originally Posted by ioannis View Post
    webOS internals has done a disassembly of the pre3
    HP Pre3 disassembly
    Its hard to make out, but it looks like the slider is those metal brackets holding around the metal slide... And there doesn't seem any obvious way of tightening either, unless there are screws between the screen and the slide, and I can't begin to imagine how you'd get to them.

My view from the pics is 'don't wiggle it!'. The weakness will come from bending those brackets or even unseating them.

Can't for the life of me think what crazy physics went into tightening up the mechanism when you dropped it. Perhaps those metal brackets got bent around the slider just a little tighter

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Its hard to make out, but it looks like the slider is those metal brackets holding around the metal slide... And there doesn't seem any obvious way of tightening either, unless there are screws between the screen and the slide, and I can't begin to imagine how you'd get to them.

My view from the pics is 'don't wiggle it!'. The weakness will come from bending those brackets or even unseating them.

Can't for the life of me think what crazy physics went into tightening up the mechanism when you dropped it. Perhaps those metal brackets got bent around the slider just a little tighter

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I agree. As for screws for tightening the brackets, it probably is those shown in this picture. If not just tightening the screws, it might be worth re-aligning those brackets. I think it's just a case of process variations.
    Last edited by ioannis; 09/27/2011 at 01:18 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Something else I noticed recently about my Pre 3's slider- If you slide the screen up by pushing on the bottom (the plastic below the gesture area) and sort of pressing it down into the body of the phone then it seems tighter when opened, until of course it gets dislodged by a tap on the upper half of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Something else I noticed recently about my Pre 3's slider- If you slide the screen up by pushing on the bottom (the plastic below the gesture area) and sort of pressing it down into the body of the phone then it seems tighter when opened, until of course it gets dislodged by a tap on the upper half of the screen.
    I can verify this on my Pre3 as well. I think it's just a matter of how the slider 'parks' at the end, which depends on how the thing is tilted as it slides (since there is a wiggle to it).

By the way, does that mean your Pre3 is loose again?
  14.    #14  
    The screen is still perfectly tight while the slider is closed, and it's been up-down loose since day one save for the pushing upwards method. Seems the way to go, but I'm ever so slightly worried about what the long term effects would be.
    By the way, I'd like to add that not all Pre3's have a loose slider. When I opened mine and noticed the wiggle, I rushed to my nearest CPW store to ask for a replacement, only to find that they were sold out (nationwide). They did happen to have one in store though, but it was booked for someone else. The guys were kind enough to check if that had the same wiggle. Not only it didn't wiggle, it was way too tight, making it difficult to open with one hand. It was even making a grinding sound (like sharpening a knife).

As I said, it's just process variations. Although, I have to admit that the variations are larger than I'd like them to be.
    I have another problem from a similar situation that I can use some help for if anyone has any ideas. I dropped my Pre 3 and now the phone does not sense when the slider opens anymore. Anyone have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've got about a millimetre of rocking only when opened. Seems like more than it was initially.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    ive seen a broken old amiga500 placed onto a PC's unstable/rubbish keyboard pullout shelf/drawer, coudlnt hold the weight and fell right onto the floor, BAM, er then it worked fine, something loose possibly got a good whack and seated back in place lol.

q funny, sounds like a similar thing
    so do you drop it face down while the slider is open or face down while the slider is closed?
  20.    #20  
    Neither. If you drop your Pre3 face-down onto a hard surface the screen with either scratch or break.
    Also, I absolutely do not condone throwing expensive gadgets at hard surfaces, so if you break your Pre3, it's all on you.

However if you still wish to know... :P The slider was open and the phone was vertical, the part that hit the floor was the bottom lip of the slider, where the little mic groove is.
    If you're really planning on trying it yourself, I suggest dropping it from a low height at first and then working your way up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast