Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    Well I just got my (eBay) purchased Pre 3 today. It is a definite improvement over the Pre 2. However, I'm missing Classic (the patch doesn't work and Classic was the only way I could sync to MS Money, which is a pretty big deal for me!) If I could get that to work I'd be psyched.

The keyboard is way better. The screen is nice too. Text forwarding to Touchpad works. However, Touch to Share doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something?
    touch to share worked for me, but i didn't think it did at first either. it's not quite as simple as they showed it, kinda have to touch it, and slide it arond a bit to hit the sweet spot...kinda like the pre3 on the touchstone, but a little more sensitive. (for everyone else, the pre3 on the touchstone doesn't seem to stick as well as the other pre's, but it still works)
    (of course you have to have blutooth on too)
    I got TTS to work after the same experience. I'm underwhelmed by it. Cool in concept, but doesn't do much. The text msg forwarding to the TP is awesome though.

Question about the SIM toolkit app for other VZW Pre 3 owners: what happens when you open it? I have global service activated as I'm going to be in Europe at the end of the week. However, when I click that app it says it can't retrieve the SIM services menu because there either aren't any or there is an error with the card. My guess is there aren't any because I'm here in Verizon coverage, not overseas with a Vodafone signal. Still, I want to be sure it is going to work when I cross the pond. They did activate my SIM card number. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I got TTS to work after the same experience. I'm underwhelmed by it. Cool in concept, but doesn't do much. The text msg forwarding to the TP is awesome though.

Question about the SIM toolkit app for other VZW Pre 3 owners: what happens when you open it? I have global service activated as I'm going to be in Europe at the end of the week. However, when I click that app it says it can't retrieve the SIM services menu because there either aren't any or there is an error with the card. My guess is there aren't any because I'm here in Verizon coverage, not overseas with a Vodafone signal. Still, I want to be sure it is going to work when I cross the pond. They did activate my SIM card number. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.
    I am expecting a Verizon Pre 3 later this week so I am curious about your experience. When you say you activated it, do you mean VZW/Vodafone SIM has been unlocked so you can use any GSM provider overseas?

I am intending to use it with pagepluscellular in USA and use local GSM service providers when I travel overseas. I am wondering if one should be an active verizon customer to unlock the GSM portion of Pre 3 phone.
    I activated it with Verizon. So it should work....

In other news, I'm now finding the device to be a bit choppy performance wise, the battery life is proving to be inconsistent (sometimes great, sometimes way worse than my Pre 2, for no reason at all) and the autofocus on the camera seems terrible. Photos are worse than the Pre 2. What gives?

I hope the performance improves....otherwise I may go back to the Pre 2 after my trip to Europe.

I do love this keyboard and the better TP pairing. The inconsistent performance is troubling me though.
    Can anyone help on the SIM services question?

On my previous observation about the photos, I figured out that I may have been using the autofocus incorrectly.
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Activating for dummies: If I buy a Verizon Pre 3 on ebay, how would I go about activating it? Do I put the Pre 2 sim card in the new phone? I have a Pre 2 with data plan with Verizon. Thanks.
    VZW phones don't have SIM cards. You can call them up at *228 (I think that was it anyway) and activate it over the phone, or you can log in online to activate it. Failing those options, you can just go to a VZW store and do it there.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    All World Phones (which the PRE 3 is) for Verizon DO have a sim card (Vodaphone). As the Pre 2 is NOT a World Phone there is no SIM card. It is CDMA only. *228 is for activation (and roaming capability update) only after the IMEI has been registered and accepted. First step is to get the IMEI registered into their system and then follow an activation sequence which is spelled out online or at the store. SIM card is needed for any extra CDMA travel.
    So i have been viewing this forum for about 6 months now, and i never posted anything, but this, i have to post. im so excited..

I am so friggin excited. i just bought my pre3(verizon) on ebay.. yes, yes i spent 595$, yes yes, its expensive, but i cant wait anymore. If i get screwed, and cant activate it, well, i will re-sell it on ebay. But i havent heard anything telling me that i wont be able to.

Anyone have anything to let me know before i get my hands on it?

I have been in love with the pre+ for almost a year now, and wouldn't imagine using ANY other mobile OS....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hf199 View Post
    Activating for dummies: If I buy a Verizon Pre 3 on ebay, how would I go about activating it? Do I put the Pre 2 sim card in the new phone? I have a Pre 2 with data plan with Verizon. Thanks.
    Sorry buddy, i just bought the 598$ one on ebay.....

Good luck with the 650$ one.
    Unlocked Verizon Pre3 for use on Sprint?

I hate to rehash the Sprint topic. But I found a seller on eBay who is selling an Unlocked Verizon Pre3. So I had to email him and ask if this will work on Sprint, to which he claims to be true.
    HP Pre 3 SMARTPHONE VERIZON 3G BLACK 16GB BRAND NEW WITH BUNDLED EXTRAS!!! | eBay

This sounds suspicious, but assuming that this is true, and recent news about Sprint (and Verizon) allowing Unlocked iPhone4S onto their network (Verizon, Sprint to Allow iPhone 4S Unlock - AT&T -- Not So Much | DSLReports.com, ISP Information ), does this not mean Sprint would also allow an unlocked Verizon Pre3 onto their network?

A Hopeless Optimist (who's on Sprint network of course)
    - Greg

My Palm Pre Evo Tree
    Pilot 5000 -> 1MB Upg -> Zire -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 4-yr abstinance -> Palm Pre!
    Unlocking refers specifically to the SIM card slot. The ESN of a CDMA phone is still specific to verizon or sprint even with the world phone sim unlocked
    I dont even care if its a world phone. All im worried about is activating my phone on VZW when i get it either this fri/sat or Monday.......I read somewhere that HP isnt selling VZW phones to employees anymore, so i had to get one while they were online... Apparently there was a 595$ one (i got) and a 650$ one, someone else bought, but the person who had the 650$ one just re-listed the same phone again. so im sure that person has a few of them.. If i was a employee i would have bought 10 of em.
    Nokia 3210 > TRACPHONE? > SAMSUNG E330 > HTC DASH > LG VX8350 > PALM PRE+ > HP PRE3 VZW

Yes, the HP PRE 3 is amazing, Yes its fast, Yes it was a dumb move for HP to cancel it, YES its worth the price, If you have been reading this so far, you should have one sitting on your computer desk next to you, smiling. Enjoying the best purchase ever.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Walked into Verizon gave the IMEI and they said no prob. Found it in their system immediately. Bada-bing.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    the verizon pre3 does have a sim card. I finally got my phone activated today, after a bit of a struggle.

you should doctor the phone and update the os to the latest release. this was what was needed to get my phone activated. the verizon guy tried for an hour yesterday and then I asked the wiser, more knowledgeable folks here and was instantly told that there was an issue with the initial set up that seems to be corrected with the new os release.

true dat. 5 minutes of phone time with verizon and the pre3 is now fully functioning (except I can't install anything from preware but I can live with dev mode and pc hook up for that)

if you have any issues, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll try and walk you thru the set-up as it was somewhat tricky for me (I'm a techtard).
    Come on, where are these things trickling out of? Dump some more into the market so the price drops like the GSM ones!!!
    maybe they will dump those phones in the last two days before sunnyvale store being closed ?
    Global Posts
    718 Global Posts
    Can someone with the phone put the activation step by step process for those who might be future buyers of the phone? This would be of great help. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hf199 View Post
    Can someone with the phone put the activation step by step process for those who might be future buyers of the phone? This would be of great help. Thanks.
    step one - get the phone
    step two - doctor upgrade to the most recent os. This might not be necessary for all phones but it was for mine.
    step three - call verizon and activate. you can probably do this in the store as well but I tried the store prior to upgrading the os and was too busy to wait around for someone to manhandle my baby, trying to figure out what it is and where it came from.
    Anyone else with a VZW Pre 3 experiencing slowdowns after a while? I find myself having to reset twice a day to keep it running normally.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast