Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    I wonder why so many AT&T Pre3's are hitting eBay, and only a tiny handful of Verizon models (really, so far as I've read it's been like 3)? Are the floodgates about to open on the Verizon units? The sudden presence of the Verizon 2.2.3 webos doctor really gives me pause.

Like kar1179 I'm wondering whether I should open the unlocked AT&T Pre3 I'm receiving tomorrow, or just put it back up on EBay unopened. Very torn. I still have my Verizon contract to deal with somehow... I was willing to leave to get a Pre3, but would rather stay (I've been a Verizon Wireless customer since before Verizon Wireless existed, and have no wish to leave aside from my obsession with getting a Pre3)
    I was at the HP webOS store today. I'm not an HP employee, so no Pre3 for me from that venue.

When asked about Verizon Pre3s, the cashier said they have them (same price as AT&T: $75), but he said Verizon might no activate them. By the way, the store has an Excel spreadsheet running on a computer there containing ALL AT&T Pre3 unlock codes.

Dan Donovan

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Dan Donovan
    you mean there's an actual physical webOS store you can go to?

edit: and they let you in with that garlic breath?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    MEID and ESN is actually the same thing, except one is in decimal and other is in hex.
    That's not exactly true. The ESN is the original ID number used since the days of analog cell phones. It is 32 bits long. The MEID is its replacement and is used in most new digital phones. It is 56 bits long.
    jennykoeune likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by lagoldste View Post
    What I want to know is...

Can you FrankenPre it? Can you swap the VZW CDMA radio with one from a Sprint Pre-, or is the radio a different form factor now? (I know you can't with the GSM Pre 3)
    This Question has been answered a few times by webOS Internals. No you can not frankpre a Pre 3
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    you mean there's an actual physical webOS store you can go to?

edit: and they let you in with that garlic breath?
    (no garlic breath here )

Yes, the physical store in Sunnyvale. They have Pre3s for sale only to HP employees. You have to show a badge.
    Dan Donovan
    So we've got at least one person who has confirmed that they were able to activate the Pre 3 on Verizon. Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Is there a number to the retail store? I am an HP Employee but I don't live in California. I would love to try and get my hands on a Verizon Pre3.
    I wonder why so many AT&T Pre3's are hitting eBay, and only a tiny handful of Verizon models (really, so far as I've read it's been like 3)? Are the floodgates about to open on the Verizon units? The sudden presence of the Verizon 2.2.3 webos doctor really gives me pause.
    I think this is because there are some people who are taking advantage of the webOS community. If it weren't for this community, webOS wouldn't even be here today, yet some people are slowly trickling out the Verizon Pre 3 so that the bids go excessively high. What frustrates me is that someone is willing to pay over $800 for a phone that isn't even a high end phone. Look, I'd love to get my hands on a Pre 3, but I'm certainly not going to pay more for a phone that does less than the touchpad and no one was buying the touchpad for $500, so why buy the phone for more? Makes no sense. (spare me the obvious supply/demand economics response)

In any event, I believe that there may be just as many Verizon Pre 3's as there are ATT Pre 3s, but someone caught on and figured they could make a bundle if they just release a few at a time. The ATT phones are going for about $400, which is about right for a new unlocked phone. I'd be willing to pay that or maybe less for the Pre 3 but certainly not more.
    tayswg20 likes this.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    I think this is because there are some people who are taking advantage of the webOS community. If it weren't for this community, webOS wouldn't even be here today, yet some people are slowly trickling out the Verizon Pre 3 so that the bids go excessively high. What frustrates me is that someone is willing to pay over $800 for a phone that isn't even a high end phone. Look, I'd love to get my hands on a Pre 3, but I'm certainly not going to pay more for a phone that does less than the touchpad and no one was buying the touchpad for $500, so why buy the phone for more? Makes no sense. (spare me the obvious supply/demand economics response)

In any event, I believe that there may be just as many Verizon Pre 3's as there are ATT Pre 3s, but someone caught on and figured they could make a bundle if they just release a few at a time. The ATT phones are going for about $400, which is about right for a new unlocked phone. I'd be willing to pay that or maybe less for the Pre 3 but certainly not more.
    phone more useful when working than tablet, for me as a physician.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I was at the HP webOS store today. I'm not an HP employee, so no Pre3 for me from that venue.

When asked about Verizon Pre3s, the cashier said they have them (same price as AT&T: $75), but he said Verizon might no activate them. By the way, the store has an Excel spreadsheet running on a computer there containing ALL AT&T Pre3 unlock codes.

Dan Donovan

mine activated no prob. just change the MEID online thru myverizon account and cranked it up.

after day two everything is running great. none of the hardware problems i've had before with the pre plus or the pre2.
    the battery does seem to be about go down as quick as always, maybe even a bit quicker (of course i've been using it a lot more than normal so it may not actually be any worse, but it definitely seems AS bad)
    also, keep in mind, my first smart phone was a Palm Centro and went straight from there to webOS, so i've never really used an iPhone, blackberry or Android to really compare teh performance to, but so far i absolutely LOVE it!!!
    i started messing around with the world phone settings just to do it. There is an application called "SIM Toolkit" but it says, "there are either no SIM services or there was a problem talking to your SIM". so i went to the preferences under the phone app. under "Security" there is something that says "Lock SIM Card" followed by a "!" in a yellow triangle. tapping it does nothing. under "world phone" there are three options. "CDMA Mode", "GSM/UMTS Mode", and "Global Mode". selecting anything except "CDMA Mode" gets the message, "SIM not detected" and an "OK" button to acknowledge.
    it does not appear to have an opening on the case to replace the battery and i cannot find a slot anywhere where a SIM would be either. (also, i've always had Verizon, so never used a phone that required a SIM...not really sure where they go, but i understand they are usually somewhere in the battery compartment? which again, this doesn't seem to have)
    mine activated no prob. just change the MEID online thru myverizon account and cranked it up.

after day two everything is running great. none of the hardware problems i've had before with the pre plus or the pre2.
    the battery does seem to be about go down as quick as always, maybe even a bit quicker (of course i've been using it a lot more than normal so it may not actually be any worse, but it definitely seems AS bad)
    also, keep in mind, my first smart phone was a Palm Centro and went straight from there to webOS, so i've never really used an iPhone, blackberry or Android to really compare teh performance to, but so far i absolutely LOVE it!!!
    i started messing around with the world phone settings just to do it. There is an application called "SIM Toolkit" but it says, "there are either no SIM services or there was a problem talking to your SIM". so i went to the preferences under the phone app. under "Security" there is something that says "Lock SIM Card" followed by a "!" in a yellow triangle. tapping it does nothing. under "world phone" there are three options. "CDMA Mode", "GSM/UMTS Mode", and "Global Mode". selecting anything except "CDMA Mode" gets the message, "SIM not detected" and an "OK" button to acknowledge.
    it does not appear to have an opening on the case to replace the battery and i cannot find a slot anywhere where a SIM would be either. (also, i've always had Verizon, so never used a phone that required a SIM...not really sure where they go, but i understand they are usually somewhere in the battery compartment? which again, this doesn't seem to have)
    The back cover is removed (with not a little difficulty) by sticking a fingernail into the mic slot on the bottom of the keyboard and running it side to side to disengage the tabs holding the door on. The quick start guide has instructions for this procedure, but be careful ... It's really hard to do, and some people have reported breaking their volume keys in the process.

If the VZW version is anything like the GSM one, the SIM slot will be located above the battery, next to the camera lens.

webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    AH HA!!! ok, got it!! THANKS! and you are right about where the SIM slot is. as suspected, there is no SIM installed.
    hey CAV, did you upgrade directly from the Pre+ or Pre2?

If it was Pre+, then presumably you had Free Mobile HotSpot like everyone else... if so, when you switched in the Pre3 then did 'they' take away the free hotspot?

If you switched from the Pre2, then you didn't have free hotspot anyway so my question is irrelevant.
    the source i bought my pre 3's from said that the HP Palm store will soon sell the Verizon Pre 3's after they sell out of the AT&T ones.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    hey CAV, did you upgrade directly from the Pre+ or Pre2?

If it was Pre+, then presumably you had Free Mobile HotSpot like everyone else... if so, when you switched in the Pre3 then did 'they' take away the free hotspot?

If you switched from the Pre2, then you didn't have free hotspot anyway so my question is irrelevant.
    i had the pre+ originally but had too many issues with the refurb they gave me so eventually they gave me a refurb pre2. not sure if it was at that point or later when the free mobile hotspot stopped working, but kinda got on my nerves because it was originally 5GB a month for free, then suddelny, nada.....HOWEVER, "free tether" off webOS QI or preware works great on both the pre2 and the pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    the source i bought my pre 3's from said that the HP Palm store will soon sell the Verizon Pre 3's after they sell out of the AT&T ones.
    Meaning they're not already for sale? Where are the ones on eBay coming from?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    My friend indicated that Verizon has no plans of letting this work on their network.
    Reps at a Verizon store in Phoenix said that they could and would activate a Verizon branded Pre 3.
    Great....now I just need one!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I have a feeling eBay will be inundated with Verizon Pre 3s in the coming weeks. Just like we're seeing with the at&t Pre 3s.
    Here's hoping they're not too insane...
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast