Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So, I got a Palm pre 3 today along with a free accessory pack, as a long term Iphone user (which in my opinion is the most complete phone package on the market) I must say, I'm extremely impressed.

Hardware and build quality are fantastic. Web OS feels fantastic.

The touchstone charger is class. Im surprised one of the big players haven't tried this yet, it looks class and is surprisingly functional, I assumed I'd have to be quite specific in placing the phone down but no, just slap it down and walk off.

The appstore is no where near as bear as I thought it'd be either.

Decent camera and nippy web browsing with flash support.

I'll be giving its media abilities a dry run tomorrow at work before deciding whether it can totally replace the Iphone in my life.

So far though, so good (V.Good)

Any hints and tips any one can hit me up with?
    Welcome.
    how did you get the Pre 3?

Buy this app in the catalogue for $0.99 preware documentation and it will tell you how to install Preware and get homebrew apps and patches, very easy.

Also buy webos quick install app for $0.99, same deal. I use both those installers at least once a week or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Welcome.
    how did you get the Pre 3?
    Probably in the UK. Note the word 'nippy' when referring to web browsing.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    love the phone, just paranoid its gonna break and ill have to hang myself until it reaaaaaly hurts shortly after.
    As someone who newer owned a smartphone before, closest is my first phone a Nokia 6110(1st gen) or my last phone a LG Cookie, I feared that the Pre3 interface wouldn't be as logical as promised. Now after two days of ownership I LOVE WebOS and the fact that everything feels logical after following the built in guide.
    I'm very happy that people who have the Pre3 seem to like it a lot.

Still, it makes me sad that I'll never own one.

-Posted from my Palm Pre- on Sprint
    retroblu likes this.
    Welcome to the community - I would agree with the others here that WebOS Quickinstall and Preware are the best ways to get things really moving (other than being a part of this website!)

I still have a Pre- (Sprint), and I would LOVE to have a Pre3! I have had mine since launch day in 2006, and only had one replacement (broken screen). I find that it does everything I need plus some. I especially love that I can just start typing a name and immediately get a person's phone number, IM, or a GPS to their home in a flash!

Don't be afraid to use homebrew products - just make sure that you put it in Developer mode before you start, or you won't be able to download anything.

Welcome aboard!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I am indeed English,haha.

Cheers for the heads up, will have a look at apps you've all recommended.

I cant get enough of the touchstone charger. Those wireless duracell charging pads never appealed to em as you had to put jackets on the phone that often looked ridiculous or were just annoying but the TS is perfect.

Also the keyboard is fantastic - its up there with the BB curve series keyboards.
    pogeypre likes this.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    I'm very happy that people who have the Pre3 seem to like it a lot.

Still, it makes me sad that I'll never own one.

-Posted from my Palm Pre- on Sprint
    do yourself a favor and get an unlocked pre2 and to the conversion.
    Its light years beyond the original pre -. You have stuck it out this long.......
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    do yourself a favor and get an unlocked pre2 and to the conversion.
    Its light years beyond the original pre -. You have stuck it out this long.......
    Agreed. I just did the swap a week ago and I'm mad that I waited this long to do it! If you need any help id be more than happy to assist.
    Pre 3 is just as good as Original Pre should be! It could easily be an iPhone killer... It's the first time since iPhone is out that iPhone users are interested in switching to WebOS after playing with my Pre3!!! I had original Pre for almost 2 years and Treo 650 before that... Never before had an iPhone user been sooo interested in my phone! Everything works like in the tv spots of the Palm pre...
    threads like this make me wish HP would have held off on the hardware announcement until after the Pre3 was released on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    So day 2 of the Pre 3 experience.

The front facing camera? is it totally redundant or what?

Was doing some tests against my Iphone 4 earlier too, out of 5 different webpages loaded, the Pre3 loaded 3 of them the quickest. ( Incidentally 2 of those 3 were long forum pages containing lots of images and texts, where as the two pages the I4 loaded the quickest were the BBC.co.uk site and a forum homepage )

I'm suitably impressed.

It works with my dropbox account straight out of the box too, that's impressive enough, next step is to see how it handles video and audio files, I'm hoping/ yet will be surprised if it begins to measure up to Iphone here.

Still, the biggest drawing point for me is the beauty of this phone, it looks amazing, its a great weight and feels like its been built well enough.

I do wish they'd have enabled an on screen keyboard though, that'd be handy.
    I think the front facing camera is for skype or other video chat applications. I'm glad to hear such good things about the Pre3, thanks for sharing and keep it coming!
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
    I do wish they'd have enabled an on screen keyboard though, that'd be handy.
    i can't understand this, personally. you're not alone in wanting this, but i don't understand why people would want to obscure half the screen with a sub-par keyboard when you have such a great one just a slide away? OT i suppose...

great to hear you're loving the phone though. i agree, it's fantastic :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    threads like this make me wish HP would have held off on the hardware announcement until after the Pre3 was released on AT&T.
    agreed. would've switched my work phone over in a heart beat....and definitely should've waited until they found a new hardware maker or licensee ....grrrrr, they should've done the fire sale or close to one to show the new company the interest in the device and OS....
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The onscreen keyboard is useful as I do web browsing in landscape on my iphone and now pre 3 , which means if I want to enter text I HAVE to hold it portrait.
    It's worth noting that the Pre3 app catalog is smaller than the catalog available for the touchpad or other Pre phones as a lot of the apps haven't specifically listed support for the Pre3 yet.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Is it possible to unlock these phones? Im seriously considering whacking my microsim with an adapter in and using it as my main phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
    Is it possible to unlock these phones? Im seriously considering whacking my microsim with an adapter in and using it as my main phone.
    All Pre3 phones sold so far have been 'unlocked' by default. The only Pre3s that are know to be locked are the AT&T 16GB phones whihc have yet to be sold in retail.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast