Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bonomitch View Post
    I got these and am happy with them. They're quite thick, good for even deep scratches and actually have cutouts for the pre3 speaker.

6 x Screen Covers Guards Films for HP Palm Pre 3 | eBay

Bargain I thought.

Now all I need is a decent case / cover to protect from being dropped, which killed my pre-
    Just to weigh in, I bought those 6x ebay ones to tide me over until my Vikuiti DQC160 guards arrived. Thanks for the recommendations by the way!

I felt I needed a guard since
    - its a pre3! I'm paranoid
    - I find myself cleaning the screen every 5 minutes without it. You'd think I rest my hands in a mud bucket or something. I figured that was a recipe for scratches and slider loosening.

My thoughts on the ebay ones:
    -Its good value, but you do get what you pay for with the ebay ones. Just a quite thin clear(ish) sticker, kinda like those clear sticker tabs that HP use to seal all of their boxes. They included a small lint free cloth which was nice

-I found it very difficult to get a good finish, and I would plan to use up two or three of the six in messing up the installation- very easy to get bubbles and because the material is so flexible and high adhesive, nigh on impossible to get the bubbles out.

-I also found that there is a clear 'pattern' that you can see through the sticker, although I think thats probably due to the force I needed to apply when spreading the guard on with a credit card, creates a kind of 'stretch' pattern of lines across the screen. It doesn't interfere with usage, but you certainly notice it when the light hits is right

-the Screen touch responsiveness was just as good with the guard on.

-I had mine on for a week or so, and it was pretty scratched by the end (the cover is thick enough to happily absorb damage)- and the phone doesn't sit in a pocket with keys or anything. So of the 6, burn 2-3 in messing up the installation and use 1 every 2-6 weeks I'd think, depending on how you treat the phone, and how tolerant you are of scratches.

-there was a slight residue on removal (the screen just feels a little bit 'dry')

As for the vikuiti:

-Well I just installed mine so can't comment on durability.

-Installation was really good. The guard is thicker and more rigid, and so lays down very evenly. Again, its an 'adhesive' type guard. The adhesive isn't so crazy that: (a) it seems to stick down before you are ready, or (b), you are screwed if it does make contact before you are ready.

-I didn't have a single bubble to push out on installation- it just seemed to go down easily.

-The screen seems very clear, just as responsive as before, and you can hardly notice its there, but for the edges.

So excellent first impressions. Mine were 3 for the price of 2 from protectionfilms24.com, which is good, since I bought 2 pre3s for when the first breaks.

The only thing is the pack doesn't come with a lint free cloth.
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/22/2011 at 03:33 AM.
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for the comprehensive report Andyf!

I don't know what it is, but I just have issue spending over 5 for a single piece of plastic! It doesn't rest well with me which is why I keep falling for the dodgy ebay ones!

Those DQC160's sound good, but again, 7.81? Really?

There seems to be the "6 for 2.25" variety (equal to 38 pence each) or the "7+ for one" range yet nothing in between? I understand that 38 pence for a screen protector isn't going to get me much, but there must be something between 38 pence and 7 pounds out there?

There's low-end and high-end but nothing in the mid-range!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlove99 View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive report Andyf!

I don't know what it is, but I just have issue spending over 5 for a single piece of plastic! It doesn't rest well with me which is why I keep falling for the dodgy ebay ones!

Those DQC160's sound good, but again, 7.81? Really?

There seems to be the "6 for 2.25" variety (equal to 38 pence each) or the "7+ for one" range yet nothing in between? I understand that 38 pence for a screen protector isn't going to get me much, but there must be something between 38 pence and 7 pounds out there?

There's low-end and high-end but nothing in the mid-range!
    I think of it as a kind of combined 7 'fatfingered-lazy-malcoordinated' tax.

Can't really complain about the ebay ones, I'm just picky!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hey... wait a minute, isn't the screen gorilla glass? You'll need like to rub it against a rock to scratch it.
    Hey... wait a minute, isn't the screen gorilla glass? You'll need like to rub it against a rock to scratch it.
    There is a lot of claims about the gorilla glass, but I haven't seen that this is the case. Just rumors

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonomitch View Post
    I got these and am happy with them. They're quite thick, good for even deep scratches and actually have cutouts for the pre3 speaker.

6 x Screen Covers Guards Films for HP Palm Pre 3 | eBay

Bargain I thought.

Now all I need is a decent case / cover to protect from being dropped, which killed my pre-
    These arrived for me the other day but I only got round to trying one today and I have to say they are by far and away, the best of the cheap protectors! Thanks for the tip.

I can't recommend them enough for the price. The other cheap ones rely too heavily on adhesive, whereas these are of the "static/clingy" variety which makes application so much easier and taking out bubbles is pain-free.

Thanks again for the tip bonomitch!

Makes me wonder though Andyf, are you sure you got the ones bonomitch mentioned?

Application for me was pain free, I got a perfect finish first time and it certainly wasn't high adhesive. Worth mentioning I've bought the high adhesive type of ebay (6 in a pack) and they were horrible and very much in line with how you described!
    These arrived for me the other day but I only got round to trying one today and I have to say they are by far and away, the best of the cheap protectors! Thanks for the tip.

I can't recommend them enough for the price. The other cheap ones rely too heavily on adhesive, whereas these are of the "static/clingy" variety which makes application so much easier and taking out bubbles is pain-free.

Thanks again for the tip bonomitch!

Makes me wonder though Andyf, are you sure you got the ones bonomitch mentioned?

Application for me was pain free, I got a perfect finish first time and it certainly wasn't high adhesive. Worth mentioning I've bought the high adhesive type of ebay (6 in a pack) and they were horrible and very much in line with how you described!
    Must've been the latter ones, same price same seller, I assumed they were just the same guards. The static film ones sound great, wish i'd noticed the difference on the ebay listings. Oh well

The vikuiti is holding up well btw in case anyone is interested.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabombcra View Post
    There is a lot of claims about the gorilla glass, but I haven't seen that this is the case. Just rumors

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

haven't seen the tests?

It's impossible for a softer object (metal) to scratch a harder one (glass)

edit: okay tried my keys on my new Pre 3's screen. no scratchies as expected. I'm a chemical engineer (undergrad with a diploma in it). gotta trust my knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post

haven't seen the tests?

edit: okay tried my keys on my new Pre 3's screen. no scratchies as expected. I'm a chemical engineer (undergrad with a diploma in it). gotta trust my knowledge
    Yeek! Intimate chemical knowledge or no, I think the the point was that it wasn't clear whether or not the Pre3 screen was made of gorilla glass, not whether gorilla glass was resistant to scratching. Thats some serious ballsy (/crazy) way to find out.

Well that was my take. Dunno are all smartphone screens made of the stuff?

Glad to hear it didn't all end in tears!
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/26/2011 at 03:23 AM.
  10. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    haven't seen the tests?

Haha I love these guys who tout their diplomas like it makes the real world any different, or their statements any more true. Fact - I've seen many phones with scratched Gorrilla Glass screens. Of course the glass won't get scratched by softer objects (metal, plastic) - but what all these videos conveniently and deliberately leave out is grit (e.g. sand). It only takes one grain to do the damage and no diploma will protect against that!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    Haha I love these guys who tout their diplomas like it makes the real world any different, or their statements any more true. Fact - I've seen many phones with scratched Gorrilla Glass screens. Of course the glass won't get scratched by softer objects (metal, plastic) - but what all these videos conveniently and deliberately leave out is grit (e.g. sand). It only takes one grain to do the damage and no diploma will protect against that!

FYI, Unlike the diplomas in say the US, this ain't a piece of cake. You don't suck if you're getting one. Hell, it's enough to get me to skip years in University in Australia right now. (the diploma isn't Australian issued)

Sand will scratch it of course. I just said so (rub a rock). Maybe it's just me but yer know I don't go around jiggling a pre in my pocket with sand. Keys and coins yes but not sand.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Yeek! Intimate chemical knowledge or no, I think the the point was that it wasn't clear whether or not the Pre3 screen was made of gorilla glass, not whether gorilla glass was resistant to scratching. Thats some serious ballsy (/crazy) way to find out.

Well that was my take. Dunno are all smartphone screens made of the stuff?

Glad to hear it didn't all end in tears!
    Oh yeah... whoops I realised that there was no official word that it was gorilla glass on the Pre 3. I know the Pre 2 had it and presumed they carried it over.

Well, at least now you know it's some kind of glass anyway since the keys didn't scratch it.

Well, if it's glass, that would be the easiest way to test it. I even have a zirconium oxide blade if I need to scratch something harder. (that WILL scratch glass and probably most rock)
  13.    #33  

haven't seen the tests?

Just quote the science/facts as you did and people will "trust your knowledge" (as I did) - no real need to mention your accolades

I think the need for a good protector, for some people anyway, comes from the possibility of dropping it: there may well be grit/sand on the floor or you might drop it on concrete. As careful as I am, it can happen (and has in the past, just the once)!

The keys/metal argument doesn't really apply to me anyway as I never put my phone in the same pocket/bag as other objects.
    Last edited by mlove99; 09/26/2011 at 08:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Just quote the science/facts as you did and people will "trust your knowledge" (as I did) - no real need to mention your accolades

I think the need for a good protector, for some people anyway, comes from the possibility of dropping it: there may will be grit/sand on the floor or you might drop it on concrete. As careful as I am, it can happen (and has in the past, just the once)!

The keys/metal argument doesn't really apply to me anyway as I never put my phone in the same pocket/bag as other objects.
    AH I see why that was a problem. 'gotta trust my knowledge' refers to 'I gotta trust my knowledge'. (to attempt the scratch test)

Sorry, I often truncate my sentences.

Yeah the only problem I see is an uneven surface. I sometimes forget and put my Pre plus in the wrong pocket though. It's nearly dead now so I gotta transfer my contacts and stuff to the Pre 3.

I have to say that sometimes, a screen protector will be the one scratched and cause the phone to have a scratched look.

For example, I got my dad a HTC Desire Z with one of those glass screens (didn't test as I couldn't find info but it was harder than polycarbonate)he went along his merry way jiggling it in his pocket for 2 weeks before the vikuiti protector arrived. Screen was fine when I put it on. The next day, there was a big gash on the screen protector.
  15.    #35  
    AH I see why that was a problem. 'gotta trust my knowledge' refers to 'I gotta trust my knowledge'. (to attempt the scratch test)

No need to apologise Amazing isn't it, how the inclusion or omission of just one word can drastically change the meaning of a sentence... totally get what you meant now!

I have to say that sometimes, a screen protector will be the one scratched and cause the phone to have a scratched look.
    Yep, definitely the case... guess it's a trade off really. Still, I rather replace the screen protector every 6 months or so, than fork out however much it costs to get a screen replaced should it come crashing to the ground. It's interesting though, that you buy something to protect your screen from scratches, but by doing so, you increase the chances of your screen "looking" scratched!

Yeah the only problem I see is an uneven surface. I sometimes forget and put my Pre plus in the wrong pocket though. It's nearly dead now so I gotta transfer my contacts and stuff to the Pre 3.

For example, I got my dad a HTC Desire Z with one of those glass screens (didn't test as I couldn't find info but it was harder than polycarbonate)he went along his merry way jiggling it in his pocket for 2 weeks before the vikuiti protector arrived. Screen was fine when I put it on. The next day, there was a big gash on the screen protector.
    Yeah that's the payoff with the screen protector, really. It certainly WILL scratch (of course some more than others) over time. Thing is, I'd rather pay 5 every now and then and not have to worry about the phone, rather than risk scratching a screen and have to get it sent for repair. Particularly with a Pre3 for which there probably are no spares.

Plus there's the 'not having to deal with finger smudges' thing.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Gorilla Glass test, it can fail. But a screen protector probably wouldn't help here:
    Last edited by brum; 10/06/2011 at 01:01 AM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Perhaps more relevant:
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    In this post (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-w-adqc27.html) the OP says his ADQC27 screen protectors came with the camera cutout on the wrong side of the skin (left vs. right). Has anyone else had this problem?
    Gorilla glass or no, it can scratch. I managed to get a few light scratches on my pre2. I still have no screen protector on my pre3 but I'm trying to be more careful with it.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast