Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    you really need to check and delete any emails in your email trash folders this is part of the problem . the other is that a lot of people keep convo's going in the messaging app for ever ! and they will have 30 convo's going or even just 10 or so , but each one has been going on for a month or 2 lol , clean up your trash folder and delete all your messages once in a while and it should help you out. the more memory thats being used the less you have for storing data while doing other things .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by _cal_ View Post
    Again, this happens even when on Wifi with cellular data off, never happens when on Touchstone or with the screen on. If this is the case of delayed wake up, then it's delayed by more than say 10s.
    Fascinating. I haven't had a single lockup in the last couple weeks since I turned off my EDGE connection and have relied almost exclusively on wifi. (I'll turn edge on when I do need it when I'm out and about, but this is rare, and I turn it off when I'm finished.)

There have been a few instances where the device was really slow to wake from sleep-- had to fiddle a bit to get the screen back on, may take several seconds-- but it's not the same as when it won't come back on at all.

Also, I'm finding now that it doesn't lock up on me, I need to manually reboot from time to time just to keep it running smoothly.
    So, I switched to Tmobile data plan, where it provides 2GB at 4G and then rest 2G. Did this last saturday and screen been locking up ever since. Went back to ATT and problem is gone.
    T-mobile tech thinks their system not recognizing device and causing the locking up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by oheneaku View Post
    So, I switched to Tmobile data plan, where it provides 2GB at 4G and then rest 2G. Did this last saturday and screen been locking up ever since. Went back to ATT and problem is gone.
    T-mobile tech thinks their system not recognizing device and causing the locking up.

are you using the unlocked UK pre3 or the att model? if switching from att to tmobile causes it to lockup then it will be equally useless when traveling abroad.
    I had a UK Pre3 on AT&T. Phone worked great. No lockups but didn't get 4g and only had 8gb. So... I gave it to the girl friend and bought an AT&T Pre3. My gf is on T-mobile. As soon as she started using it, it started locking up all the time. Also, the UK Pre3 was flashed with the ATT 2.3.3 doctor. My new ATT Pre3 has been fine also as I am still on ATT.

Seems to be an issue with T-mobile...

Anybody know how to check the logs to see what is going on?
    Last edited by zfrogz; 12/07/2011 at 03:51 AM.
    /bump
    My Pre 3 (Fr unlocked HP supplied model,vodaphone NL,3g/2g) sometimes locks up too. I have had the slowly dimming screen lockup once, and black screen lockups when calling about.4 times in about are months. Always waited for a boot. I am now collecting crash dumps, perhaps there is some useful info there.
    Mine isn't on Wifi nor on GSM data connection however it hangs up quite often. is this some kind of bug. Any suggestions on how to resolve it. The thing is, I have to give this to my father who isn't very interested in doing all this research.

Any help is good heelp and I thank you in advance.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Anyone install 2.2.4 yet? I'm curious to see if this will make a difference, as it's the first update I've seen for the EU Pre 3. Installing it in a few, I'll report back.

(It's been several weeks since I had a lockup, as long as Edge is turned off. Also, my brother says that he's avoided lockups by running free tether when he's not near a normal wifi network).
    I have 2.2.4 on a ATT Pre 3 with a T-Mobile SIM card. The lockups have been fairly random except in the last couple days. Now my phone is locking up many times a day. This morning it locked up 5 times.

It has been dying on WiFi, and well as on Edge. I've been keeping the back off so I can quickly pull the battery.

I've tried using Govnah to keep the min CPU frequencty at 368 but that does not seem to help.

Dave Anderson
  11.    #51  
    Hello people,

I had NO idea this post had gone to 3 pages already. Wow. Anyhoo, here's the latest...

1. I did upgrade to 2.2.4 (I have a UK Pre 3)
    2. I did install a variety of patches and the one that I find very useful is the one that allows me to turn on/off all my connections. I make sure my GPS is always off. Also, I am able to turn my Data Connection on/off quickly though the menu options and keep my GSM radio on --which is perfect.
    3. Lock ups are random now. I'd say 2-3 times a week. I still freak out at times when I set my alarm at night since I use my phone to wake up in the am and always fear a lock up will prevent it from waking me up.
    4. Based on your feedback, I do think disabling the data connection if you are not using it is the way to go. I only use it to sync my work's email M-F 7am-7pm and I basically turn it off on the weekends. Unless I am out and about and *need* to check something online, my data connection will be off.
    5. I use my WiFi heavily both at home and work and I've never experienced a lock up using it.

So, in summary, I am very pleased with how the phone behaves now. Yeah, 2-3 lock ups a week is not fun, but at first I had 3-5 A DAY. So, I am a happy camper.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgsolano View Post
    Hello people,

I had NO idea this post had gone to 3 pages already. Wow. Anyhoo, here's the latest...

1. I did upgrade to 2.2.4 (I have a UK Pre 3)
    2. I did install a variety of patches and the one that I find very useful is the one that allows me to turn on/off all my connections. I make sure my GPS is always off. Also, I am able to turn my Data Connection on/off quickly though the menu options and keep my GSM radio on --which is perfect.
    3. Lock ups are random now. I'd say 2-3 times a week. I still freak out at times when I set my alarm at night since I use my phone to wake up in the am and always fear a lock up will prevent it from waking me up.
    4. Based on your feedback, I do think disabling the data connection if you are not using it is the way to go. I only use it to sync my work's email M-F 7am-7pm and I basically turn it off on the weekends. Unless I am out and about and *need* to check something online, my data connection will be off.
    5. I use my WiFi heavily both at home and work and I've never experienced a lock up using it.

So, in summary, I am very pleased with how the phone behaves now. Yeah, 2-3 lock ups a week is not fun, but at first I had 3-5 A DAY. So, I am a happy camper.
    has anyone made any more progress on this? I have the exact same problem (2-4 lockups a day) with my att pre 3 on T-Mobile and am hoping there's some more concrete solutions or more ideas I can try. Just returned a galaxy s after 2 weeks of trying it. Just can't believe how much easier webOS is, but I can't be missing calls by my phone randomly turning off. Thanks for ANY UPDATES!
    Try to turn off the Network time, to see what happens
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany.

Did not had any lock-problems for about 2 months, now they are appearing in standy-mode about once a day. Quite bad because it was my one and only alarm clock so far.

- Problem appears even if I switch off Data Toggle + WiFi
    - It never happend if my device was on the Touchstone or if the screen was on - but it appeared if I was charging via cable!
    - I'm almost a 24/7 Synergy Messaging-user
    - Using the Doctor did not fixed the problem

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

Any updates? Here's mine...

I had a really good run but a few weeks ago my UK Pre3 on T&T's bmobile network, even when on WiFi, started locking up except when on its touchstone, just as described by cgsolano and others. After reading the most recent experiences I decided to replicate some of your tests:

With Data Connection ON, WiFi ON, and not charging, I can expect a lockup within the hour or less. What a shame. Turning OFF WiFi and "Data Connection" (via patch) does seem to reduce the frequency of lock-ups. However, having a smartphone without continuous data is just ridiculous and of no use to me.

I then took my UK Pre3 back to Florida for a week on AT&T: Not a single lock-up! Over days I tested the data network on "Auto" or forced it on "3G" and still had no lock-ups.

From the posts here, it appears that our Pre3's, whether UK, Euro or AT&T branded, are only locking up on networks other than AT&T. Therefore:

Is anyone with a Pre3 on AT&T suffering lock-ups? (I'm not considering the report about the Pre+).

Is anyone with a Pre3 on another network (worldwide) besides AT&T NOT experiencing lock-ups?

I also think it would be useful if everyone, when posting, also indicate the type of device (AT&T, UK etc.) and the network being used.

Thanks,
    Keith

PS
    I don't want to return to my Android... I love webOS and my Pre3's keyboard...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    Hey guys,

Any updates? Here's mine...

I had a really good run but a few weeks ago my UK Pre3 on T&T's bmobile network, even when on WiFi, started locking up except when on its touchstone, just as described by cgsolano and others. After reading the most recent experiences I decided to replicate some of your tests:

With Data Connection ON, WiFi ON, and not charging, I can expect a lockup within the hour or less. What a shame. Turning OFF WiFi and "Data Connection" (via patch) does seem to reduce the frequency of lock-ups. However, having a smartphone without continuous data is just ridiculous and of no use to me.

I then took my UK Pre3 back to Florida for a week on AT&T: Not a single lock-up! Over days I tested the data network on "Auto" or forced it on "3G" and still had no lock-ups.

From the posts here, it appears that our Pre3's, whether UK, Euro or AT&T branded, are only locking up on networks other than AT&T. Therefore:

Is anyone with a Pre3 on AT&T suffering lock-ups? (I'm not considering the report about the Pre+).

Is anyone with a Pre3 on another network (worldwide) besides AT&T NOT experiencing lock-ups?

I also think it would be useful if everyone, when posting, also indicate the type of device (AT&T, UK etc.) and the network being used.

Thanks,
    Keith

PS
    I don't want to return to my Android... I love webOS and my Pre3's keyboard...

System
    Date & Time
    Network Time : OFF

Optional : Network Time Zone : OFF

Try this... ( I think you can safely leave the network time zone ON )
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    System
    Date & Time

Thanks mazzinia! Will do.

I forgot to mention another observation:

My Pre3 no longer goes into charging mode (via USB) when I try charging it with either of my 0.5A HTC or PS3 chargers (which I previously used for months without problems). The chargers still work perfectly for the other devices.

My Pre3 charges properly with its 1.0A charger or my Touchpad's 2.0A charger.

Therefore, is my Pre3 becoming more power hungry or less power efficient? With no lock-ups when being charged, the power usage/efficiency of the Pre3 or its battery's ability to accept a charge seems to be another factor...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    No, maybe is something more basic...

it could be that using a less powerful charger ( 0.5 vs 1A ) has slowly caused strain in some component... likely of the charger itself.

It's never a good thing to use something that has a given nominal output X, to draw out X+Y
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    No, maybe is something more basic...

it could be that using a less powerful charger ( 0.5 vs 1A ) has slowly caused strain in some component... likely of the charger itself.

It's never a good thing to use something that has a given nominal output X, to draw out X+Y
    I absolutely agree with your advice. At first I did not observe, or bother to check, the amperage on the other chargers as I would have expected them to be of similar power given their intended devices. I was wrong and only checked when this issue arose.

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    System
    Date & Time

Unfortunately, no permutation of these options resulted in any improvement.

I even swapped batteries with my spare AT&T Pre3 (only activated once to confirm functionality and network unlock it) but this also made no difference.

Therefore, I am now at the situation where my Pre3 will certainly fall into the "sleep of death" unless it is being powered by its charger. If this situation continues, I will have no choice but to return to my Android... :-(
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast