Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've been having the same problem with my European Pre3 on T-Mobile US (on Edge, naturally).

I've tried raising the minimum clock speed, disabling compcache, back to stock, doctoring, wifi no sleep, wifi off, cellular data off, disabling auto brightness adjustment (patch), disabling all user accessible updates (mail, facebook, carbon, etc) and this thing still dies on me. Sometimes 5 times a day, sometimes a couple of times only.

It only ever happens when the phone is in standby (screen off). Never while on or on touchstone. ***?!

I guess I'll have to go check out some logs...

Too bad this is happening. This is THE phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Latest update.

Besides disabling all automatic updates (like mail), I have now logged off chat accounts too.

I think I have not experienced any lock up like this, but I'll have to check during tomorrow, because today I logged on to chat for a while and it locked during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by _cal_ View Post
    Latest update.

Besides disabling all automatic updates (like mail), I have now logged off chat accounts too.

I think I have not experienced any lock up like this, but I'll have to check during tomorrow, because today I logged on to chat for a while and it locked during that time.

same problem here - UK Pre3 model on Tmobile.

Very first day I had the phone...only WebOS Synergy account and my email account setup and the phone locked up with a black screen. Today it locked up five times and I had to remove the battery each time to restart it. Happens after a period of inactivity (around an hour).

Picked up this phone after snagging a firesale Touchpad a couple months ago and being impressed with WebOS. This phone however sucks...touch is slow to respond...doesn't register all taps and all the random lockups. It even rebooted by itself today while it was pairing with my bluetooth headset.
    If the phone is busy - say talking to your email over a slow connection then other functions such as tapping will slow down. Perhaps it has to do with your 2g rather than the phone. Basically connection to data is a real culprit for many problems. Worth testing

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    If the phone is busy - say talking to your email over a slow connection then other functions such as tapping will slow down. Perhaps it has to do with your 2g rather than the phone. Basically connection to data is a real culprit for many problems. Worth testing

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I agree: I have tested this to my satisfaction (see a few posts up) and have concluded that the device hangs during data intensive activities while on a slow or unreliable data connection. This also seems logical and plausible to me.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    I agree: I have tested this to my satisfaction (see a few posts up) and have concluded that the device hangs during data intensive activities while on a slow or unreliable data connection. This also seems logical and plausible to me.
    eKeith - nope, it hangs at home on wifi as well. if its on the charger, its fine. if i take it off the charger and leave it on the desk then it'll lock up with a blank screen and be totally unresponsive - no data transferring or anything.

are you still experiencing lockup problems with your phone?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webos_newb View Post
    eKeith - nope, it hangs at home on wifi as well. if its on the charger, its fine. if i take it off the charger and leave it on the desk then it'll lock up with a blank screen and be totally unresponsive - no data transferring or anything.

are you still experiencing lockup problems with your phone?
    I'm not sure about your situation but I am confident that my Pre3 lockups have only occurred when it has not been on WiFi but only on 2G. Also, it is typically not on its touchstone until I go to sleep. Being connected or not to a charger seems to make no difference in its lockups.

Why would you say there is no data transfer? I suspect that the Pre3 would typically attempt to go online, in the background, to perform device backups to your webOS account as well as sync with your other accounts. Therefore, the device itself maybe attempting to go online but failing to make a reliable connection. Are you sure your Wifi is not dropping out?
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I'm not sure about your situation but I am confident that my Pre3 lockups have only occurred when it has not been on WiFi but only on 2G. Also, it is typically not on its touchstone until I go to sleep. Being connected or not to a charger seems to make no difference in its lockups.

Why would you say there is no data transfer? I suspect that the Pre3 would typically attempt to go online, in the background, to perform device backups to your webOS account as well as sync with your other accounts. Therefore, the device itself maybe attempting to go online but failing to make a reliable connection. Are you sure your Wifi is not dropping out?
    because the first time it locked up, I only had the webos synergy and my email account setup. no chat, no fb, no skype, or any other accounts. the webos synergy acct had already done syncing all my apps with my touchpad and all my email was already downloaded. the phone software was already updated and i was at home surfing the web on my laptop. placed the phone next to me on my desk (not on the charger) and when i picked it up it was like a dead useless brick.

whatever the case, the phone shouldn't be locking up so many times for no reason where i have to remove the battery to restart it.
    Quote Originally Posted by webos_newb View Post
    because the first time it locked up, I only had the webos synergy and my email account setup. no chat, no fb, no skype, or any other accounts. the webos synergy acct had already done syncing all my apps with my touchpad and all my email was already downloaded. the phone software was already updated and i was at home surfing the web on my laptop. placed the phone next to me on my desk (not on the charger) and when i picked it up it was like a dead useless brick.

whatever the case, the phone shouldn't be locking up so many times for no reason where i have to remove the battery to restart it.
    I know it will not resolve your problem but instead of removing the battery, hold power button and in the same time toggle ringer switch multiple times. Your pre should restart.
    in my case installing the ubrkernell helped tremendously. It has not eliminated the random lockups totally but reduced it to 2-3 a week. On top of that I keep bluetooth on. Incresing min mhzs didn't help.
    I concur with the gentleman that says that 2G data is not the problem. It shouldn't be in any case and it isn't in mine.

Today was the first day EVER that I had no lockups. All automatic updates disabled (except for software updates, which I have no control of), logged off chat and disabled roaming. No lock-ups, when normally I have several per day.

Just enabled mail updates now, and will see if it goes through tomorrow without lockups.

Will report back.

Ok people, so far so good. No lock ups for 2 days.

E-mail updating every 15min, all other user accessible auto updates off, and logged off chat. Roaming is also disabled.

Additionally I have wifi on, cellular data on (TMobile US), and data connection seamlessly transitions between one and the other.

Will try logging on to chat next and run with it for a day.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Ok people, so far so good. No lock ups for 2 days.

E-mail updating every 15min, all other user accessible auto updates off, and logged off chat. Roaming is also disabled.

Additionally I have wifi on, cellular data on (TMobile US), and data connection seamlessly transitions between one and the other.

Will try logging on to chat next and run with it for a day.

So how's it going?

I've started to experience lockups occasionally even when I'm on wifi (unless for some reason my wifi has gone down unbeknownst to me).

After locking up multiple times while on wifi the other day, I decided to disable all automatic e-mail downloads and set all my e-mail accounts to "manual". I haven't launched the e-mail app since then and haven't had a lockup so far. I think I'll continue this pattern for the rest of the weekend. (I don't ever have chat logged on... otherwise the only thing I can think to do is install some patches to reduce logging). Oh, so far I still have the GPS turned on. I really hope it doesn't come to me having to turn off the GPS.
    for me setting the minimum cpu frequency to 200 MHz in Govnah stops the pre 3 from freezing in sleep mode. I had some reboots when trying to place a call, so far switching only to 2g network seems to help
    Never had any lockups.
    Never used FB (never even created an account).
    I have several EMail accounts - but all are IMAP or Google - no Exchange.

I've been on wifi, 3G and 2G.

EMail is on 30 minute interval.
    Nothing is constantly connected (kills battery life on any phone - 3G data radio is the biggest drain).

Modern Smartphones (doesn't matter if IOS, Android or webos) only get 1-2 days of use before you need to recharge. Get a Touchstone and just put your Pre3 on that every night and everything's fine.
    My GF has a Pre3 - but is a very light data user - she gets up to 5 days using it mostly as a regular phone.

With moderate use I get up to 2 days - which is typical for a smartphone. I'm on wifi as much as possible.

There are some very helpful patches available through Preware - among them "Data in Device Menu". Allows disabling non-wifi data connections very quickly.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I concur with the gentleman that says that 2G data is not the problem. It shouldn't be in any case and it isn't in mine.

Today was the first day EVER that I had no lockups. All automatic updates disabled (except for software updates, which I have no control of), logged off chat and disabled roaming. No lock-ups, when normally I have several per day.

Just enabled mail updates now, and will see if it goes through tomorrow without lockups.

Will report back.

Your description is actually consistent with the device not being able to get enough data bandwidth over 2G to perform background data synchronization. By disabling the automatic updates you reduced the data requirement and the 2G connection may have been sufficient. What is your latest experience?

For me, I still have not had any lockups once I have been on WiFi. But I did suffer a few when only on 2G.

With the additional symptom experienced by one user that his lockups do not occur once his Pre is being charged, I am thinking that it is possible that when the Pre's battery is at a low level, it may automatically disconnect from WiFi to save on power (just a guess). I usually have my Pre's battery level above 70% (as I have a car charger). I will let the battery level drop low and test it while on WiFi and report...
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    There are some very helpful patches available through Preware - among them "Data in Device Menu". Allows disabling non-wifi data connections very quickly.
    Thanks for the heads up on this patch. While it may be a minor annoyance to keep EDGE turned off at all times except when I want to use it (I'm assuming that if I'm not on wifi and the data connection is turned off, the phone will know not to try to do any updating in the background), it's a better option than having to wait 2 minutes for my phone to reboot after I discover it locked up (only to have it lock up shortly after putting it back in my pocket).

It's interesting that you say you don't use FB or have anything set up with FB. That's one of those apps that after using on EDGE I find my phone slipping into the "sleep of death".

I'll note that it's also not uncommon to find that after a lockup, the next time I'm "safely" on wifi, I'll find the "application update available" notification shows up.

(My Pre 3 has locked up at the worst times this week. Just about ready to throw in the towel.)
    Last edited by rumz; 11/13/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    With the additional symptom experienced by one user that his lockups do not occur once his Pre is being charged, I am thinking that it is possible that when the Pre's battery is at a low level, it may automatically disconnect from WiFi to save on power (just a guess). I usually have my Pre's battery level above 70% (as I have a car charger). I will let the battery level drop low and test it while on WiFi and report...
    I think my brother has had his go to sleep while charging-- but only while charging over regular USB cable. Putting in on the Touchstone, thus keeping the screen on to some degree, prevents it from getting to that sleep state where it can freeze up.
    i bought palm pre3 4g from amazon. i'n in mongolia. also we have a gsm service. but i turned on my cell but after sim card code webOs want account. i tried to make new account but after proceeding failed and not said i need to turn on wifi or went to wifi provider. what should i do??????????????????????? send me mail smart guys, i'm loser. to monkh_dum@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on this patch. While it may be a minor annoyance to keep EDGE turned off at all times except when I want to use it (I'm assuming that if I'm not on wifi and the data connection is turned off, the phone will know not to try to do any updating in the background), it's a better option than having to wait 2 minutes for my phone to reboot after I discover it locked up (only to have it lock up shortly after putting it back in my pocket).
    Well, it's been about a week since I tried this. It's been a success. Interestingly, I've only turned EDGE on a couple times, and it's not a big deal to turn it off when I'm done. Phone has not done the sleep of death once.

There were a couple times when it almost looked like it had-- but it just took a few extra seconds to wake up is all.

I'm content at this point-- less urge to look for an alternative phone. What's important to me is that I can still receive calls, texts, etc. anytime, rather than having my phone unknowingly frozen in my pocket. If I were paying more for a data plan this solution wouldn't be acceptable, but for now, it'll do.
    Ok good people. It's been a couple of weeks and although things have improved, I haven't found a definite conclusion.

I bought another European Pre 3 (for my wife) and an AT&T Pre 3 (for me) and all 3 phones suffer from the same problem. All 3 are on T-Mobile US, so edge only.

Our (AT&T) Pre+ and (AT&T) Pre 2, always ran on T-Mobile US, and never locked up during sleep. However, a co-worker has a Pre+ on AT&T and he says his does it more than once a week.

Right now, both of us (AT&T & UK Pre3 on T-Mo) have logged off chat accounts, and have e-mail updates every 30 minutes. All other user accessible updates are off (facebook, twitter, etc). I don't think we have experienced any lock-ups like this, or at least have not for several days.

I did not make scientifically precise experiments to determine the cause or to prove that chat and e-mail are the culprits, but I'm convinced they are. As soon as we logged back on to chat both our phones started hanging during sleep.

Again, this happens even when on Wifi with cellular data off, never happens when on Touchstone or with the screen on. If this is the case of delayed wake up, then it's delayed by more than say 10s.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast