Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A - I think power will drain from the battery and be recharged from time to time. I think that is what really happens... the UI shows it different. Maybe it is different and power will be drain from the TS and the battery in maintaince load...
    Anyway that does not matter so much for the lion battery inside the phone. These will constantly slowly die no matter what you do to them. The best situation for them is to be at arround 70-80%, that's where their death is the most slowly and that is the capacity where you should store them, if they are not used. Another thing is that they don't like heat so much. But getting warm or even hot is quite normal for them.

B - I'm quite sure that the TS does not draw more than 1A from the power supply. The reason is, that the original Palm wall charger only can deliver 1A, so if the TS would draw more, it would overheat it's original wall charger. That's how it works, with the A... the device requiring power will draw it's power and if the device delivering power can't satisfy the demand, it will die...

C - That's no problem... I needed to do that from time to time... I think, that the phone will still draw it's main power from the TS and tell the USB Port to not deliver more than the 200mA default or even nothing at all... But I did not verify that. In any case it won't hurt the phone and you can still build a data connection with the phone on the TS. Btw. doing that over wifi is way cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    So, I got an extra AC adapter (HAMA) for my work office TS. It has 1.000mA (1A) output power, which I was not sure would work.

Well, it got my Pre from something like 48% Battery up to full battery in something like 1,5 Hour. I was impressed, way faster than my USB cable to my work PC (which needs something like 9 Hours to do 20%-100% on "charge only").

Also presentation modus worked very fine! Automaticaly! No idea why it would not work with the oter 2 TS at home with original Pre cable, altought in one of them, fur sure, it is loading the battery.

The Phone got unfortunately really, really hot! (more info on this issue here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ouchstone.html).

I have basicaly 3 questions:

A - What happen to the phone if we let it on the TS? I mean, will this (despite heating) on the middle or long term damage the battery? Does the phone take his power from the battery (and it from the TS) in this case, or directly from the battery and the Battery will be kept under "maintenance" load? How smart is the battery charger or management on the phone?

B - Perhaps this is more interesting and important, as it it more practical: How much the TS does really need to decently load a PRE 3? I wanted to have a 2A charger (even found a 4A charger!), but since I could give it backit if it would not work, I tryed a "middle" one (also more cheapper), as I knew a 500mA would probably not work. But what about a 750mA, or 800mA? I even found ones with less than 500mA, but I think that this won't work (otherwhise my USB would!).

C. What happen if we use both together? USB cable and TS? I will try this today in the afternoon and will probably put an answer here (I am tended to say it won't).
    You really worry me with this post.

You say POWER rated at 1A (that well known unit of power)??? What voltage is it? Is it actually supplying usb 5v? You really really don't want to be supplying too many volts.. Why not just use the HP charger?

The HP charger works fine with the touchstone, supplying 1A, 5V, and it certainly doesn't make mine really really hot as you put it, which is why I'm worrying that you're 'Hama' power supply is not a 5V DC one.

There is nothing wrong with supplying from an adaptor rated at 5v but too few amps, other than your pre might not charge (i.e. Power usage is greater than the adaptor can supply).

This is kindof happening when you plug your usb into your computer... A data usb socket on a computer is current limited to much less than 1A, and so your charge rate will be slower, but it won't break your computer or your underrated power supply like the previous poster suggested.
    B - Perhaps this is more interesting and important, as it it more practical: How much the TS does really need to decently load a PRE 3? I wanted to have a 2A charger (even found a 4A charger!), but since I could give it backit if it would not work, I tryed a "middle" one (also more cheapper), as I knew a 500mA would probably not work. But what about a 750mA, or 800mA? I even found ones with less than 500mA, but I think that this won't work (otherwhise my USB would!).
    really just no. If its underrated, it'll just supply peak power, the voltage will get pulled down a bit, and the thing you are supplying won't work properly. Nothing will break.

Obviously there are inefficiencies with the Touchstone process, so a larger power supply will be required to keep the Pre charging at the same rate, although the HP supply is evidently over powered enough for this not to be an issue
    Last edited by Andyf; 09/23/2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Plugging in a Pre into the computer won't break the computer, but only because the Pre does now it is a computer and does not try to drain more power than the computer allows it to. That's because of the power management built into USB: USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In general, if you try to drain more Ampere from a power source, than the power source can deliver, then the power source has the options to shut down in emergency like blowing a fuse, limit the current (which happens only with more expensive ones) or the power source (especially cheap USB wall chargers) will overheat. I already watched that happen more than once (not the burning, but the overheating).
    If you try to find a good pair of power consumer and power supply, the ampere that the supply can deliver should always be at least as high as the consumer will be consuming. That's just because of the way that current flow works... the voltage is controlled from the power supply, but the current (ampere) is controlled by the consumer, if you want to put it into simple words.

If there really are power supplys that have a USB connector and are delivering anything else than 5V on this connector, you should really ban them from your shopping list. I for myself never found such a power supply.
    Thank you all! I just wrote "Power rated" because that is the way most peopple understand. Of course, it is a USB micro charger, and I spent nearly one hour on the store to find a good one. It is indeed 5W (5VDC * 1A = 5W).
    The other info about power suplies and sources is also clear to me (we produce industrial power supplies), so I also knew that the current is drained and voltage is supplied, and that Power supplies can have a current limitation.

But I am interested on the coils. Both TS and Pre are coils. When we put them together, we have a sort of transformer: The current flowing on the TS coil will induct a current and therefore a voltage on the Pre's coil. This depends on the winding number, wire cross section, etc. But I interested to know really how much current can the Pre coil drain. I mean, if I had the one with 2A, would it drain 2A?

In EU most of the appliances Power supplies are switch mode, and if I am not wrong they must have an overcurrent or short circuit protection, to prevent fire and assure safety at usage (therefore they can be CE marked).

@Garfonso: If I remember well, both our Pre were delivered with exactly 70% remaining on Battery load.
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    I got 3 Touchstones, unfortunately "Pre -" ones, all of them work, but (I think I need an "of course" here) Exibition Modus will not start automaticaly. The phone simply just do not know that it is on a TS. Still, one for office, 2 at home, not that bad.
    for it me works (pre3 with any of my 3 pre-/pre2 touchstones). it takes some (3-10) seconds to start, but it works. all plugged to wall (220v).

kaido
    Last edited by kaidoloor; 09/23/2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamran9558 View Post
    can someone tell me whats the part number of pre3 touchstones
    i have not seen any pre3 touchstones. they are talking there is none available. probably have not been even manufacured, or then rotting somewhere.

kaido
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    I'm worrying that you're 'Hama' power supply is not a 5V DC one.
    I thought all chargers with a USB output have to comply with the USB standard of 5V DC. Or am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaidoloor View Post
    i have not seen any pre3 touchstones. they are talking there is none available. probably have not been even manufacured, or then rotting somewhere.

kaido
    If I'm correct, they are still selling touchstones with "palm" written all over inside HP boxes. They probably have a warehouse full of them somewhere!
    I find that it gives my Pre3 some nostalgic Palm touch :-)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12