Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    i know this is something webOS won't do out of the box, but can anybody write a patch to change your phone's WIFI MAC address?

i'm not up to anything dodgy or illegal, just want to get onto my mac-address-filtered wifi network at work
    I'd assume the Mac address is hard coded. It has to be unique.
    If you have a legitimate requirement why wouldn't your IT team add it to their filter?
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    i know this is something webOS won't do out of the box, but can anybody write a patch to change your phone's WIFI MAC address?

i'm not up to anything dodgy or illegal, just want to get onto my mac-address-filtered wifi network at work
    It looks like it could be done. check this place, and maybe you could find someone able to assist you Technitium | Blog
    it looks like it's just changing a registry value in Windows. Probably could be done in webOS too.
    Last edited by chalx; 09/16/2011 at 06:06 PM.
    This is normally done with a tool like ifconfig - though checking on my pre3 it seems to have a crippled version of ifconfig without the option to change the MAC. So assuming there isn't another tool that can do this (and assuming the driver supports it) you'd need to compile a regular version of ifconfig for the pre3.

nate@nate-desktop:~$ ifconfig --help 2>&1 | grep -i hw
    [hw <HW> <address>] [metric <NN>] [mtu <NN>]
    <HW>=Hardware Type.

docs say
    hw class address
    Set the hardware address of this interface, if the device driver supports this operation. The keyword must be followed by the name of the hardware class and the printable ASCII
    equivalent of the hardware address. Hardware classes currently supported include ether (Ethernet), ax25 (AMPR AX.25), ARCnet and netrom (AMPR NET/ROM).