Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By calebrun
  • 1 Post By pre101
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is a double post. I am moving from a Treo 680 to a Pre 3 in a couple of weeks time. Any suggestions/steps that I should be following in migrating my data?

Edit: Would be posting the solutions that I found/worked for me here:

Contacts:
    Method 1:
    1. HotSync to Palm Desktop/Outlook
    2. Use DTA to move the contacts to an email provider of your choice

Method 2 (For people having trouble hotsyncing):
    1. Goto your contact list in your phone and ensure that the all category is selected, so that you can export all of them at one shot
    2. Select Record -> Send Category from the menu. This will export all contacts as a single .vcf file.
    3. Use a medium of your choice(Bluetooth/Email) to get this file to your desktop. [I chose email]
    4. Import the vcf file directy into email account. For Gmail, it is Contacts -> More -> Import.. -> Choose File -> Import
    Last edited by sara.ramli; 09/17/2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Updated steps for migrating contacts
    Hi,

You have to export your PIM data (contacts and calendar) to some "cloud-based" database (Google mail, Yahoo mail, Exchange).

To do so, use DTA from Palm/HP : HP webOS : Download & Run the Data Transfer Assistant (DTA)

Search the web with keywords such as "palm pim export dta google".... That might do.

I was reluctant at first to put my personal data on the web, but at the end, I gained full synchronization between my Pre3, GMail (in my case) and Thunderbird/Sunbird used on my PC.

Hope this helps,

Charly

Edit : removed duplicated URL
    Palm TC, T3, T5, TX, Treo680, Centro and HP Pre3
    pre101 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by calebrun View Post
    Hi,

You have to export your PIM data (contacts and calendar) to some "cloud-based" database (Google mail, Yahoo mail, Exchange).

To do so, use DTA from Palm/HP : HP webOS : Download & Run the Data Transfer Assistant (DTA)

Search the web with keywords such as "palm pim export dta google".... That might do.

I was reluctant at first to put my personal data on the web, but at the end, I gained full synchronization between my Pre3, GMail (in my case) and Thunderbird/Sunbird used on my PC.

Hope this helps,

Charly

Edit : removed duplicated URL
    Thanks will try this and let you know. Apart from the PIM data, I have a few years of conversation data (over SMS) stored in my phone as well. Any good techniques/applications that you would suggest for migrating these?
    ps, DO NOT put your contacts or calendar info into your palm profile. Too limiting. Use hotmail or gmail instead.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ps, DO NOT put your contacts or calendar info into your palm profile. Too limiting. Use hotmail or gmail instead.
    Got it. Thanks.

Palm seem to be suggesting the same here (in one of the comments)
    The Official HP Palm Blog: A Palm profile primer
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Has anyone else had a problem with DTA and the Pre3 complaining about corrupt data?

I get to the end of the wizard and it asks to remove the cable from the Pre3.
    I do an eject from the windows remove device in system tray but the pre3 complains about corrupt data.

Everything seems to transfer to the Pre3 apart from calendar appointments.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Hi,

Are you importing DIRECTLY into the Pre3 ? How come ?

Following the HP/Palm instructions, I had the export data from my PalmOS phone (Centro), import it to GMail (Yahoo or Exchange are other choices), then synchronize GMail with the Pre3.

By the way, importing the ICS (Agenda) file to Google I faced an issue : I had an error message from GMail (and Yahoo as well when I tried) because of a time stamp not correctly set. It was written as :

DTSTART;TZID=:20081201

but in fact it should be writtent as following :

DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Paris:20081201

I corrected the ICS file with a text editor ("TZID=:" --> "TZID=Europe/Paris:" in my case) and voila !

Perhaps something related in your own case ?

Hope this helps,

Charly
    Last edited by calebrun; 09/16/2011 at 02:58 AM.
    Moving from the Treo 680 myself and found & donated to treodesktop to transfer all my phone data (call logs and SMS's) to another device.
    sara.ramli likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre101 View Post
    Moving from the Treo 680 myself and found & donated to treodesktop to transfer all my phone data (call logs and SMS's) to another device.
    Thanks and I'll go home and check this out with my Treo.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calebrun View Post
    Hi,

Are you importing DIRECTLY into the Pre3 ? How come ?

Following the HP/Palm instructions, I had the export data from my PalmOS phone (Centro), import it to GMail (Yahoo or Exchange are other choices), then synchronize GMail with the Pre3.

<snippage>

Perhaps something related in your own case ?

Hope this helps,

Charly

Yes i am using the dta to import directly into the pre3.

To do it from palm desktop to google what do i do?

I can only see export to dba file in palm desktop menu

thanks
    Martin
    Hi Martin,

Follow the direction given here : http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3151178 which includes a URL to the Palm/HP web site with appropriate instructions.

It worked for me.

Charly
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Looks like there is no option to transfer data to google from the dta that i downloaded.
    Will looks for another version of dta
  13.    #13  
    Wow, I am still trying to get my head around all this and slowly figuring out things.

Haven't hotsynced my Treo for nearly a year now. For some reason, the contacts and calendar information wont sync back to my desktop (neither to Outlook nor to Palm Desktop). Tried all suggestions in Precentral and other sites (deleting the versamail eas account, etc), but to no avail. So without this on my desktop, I guess DTA wont be of use to me.

Calendar was not a big deal, as I already had them in my GCal account. Contacts was the only deal breaker. Found another way of exporting and importing them to GMail directly.

Will update the main post with the steps/details. Edit: Updated main post.
    Last edited by sara.ramli; 09/17/2011 at 10:58 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre101 View Post
    Did you move your call log and SMS data to a Pre phone? or another device? I dont see any tool readily available to migrate this data exported from TreoDesktop to a Pre phone.