Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Hey, so knowing that the Pre3 doesn't get any form of 4G in the U.S., what have your experiences been video chatting while on the go (i.e. walking, riding a bus, etc.)? Have you been able to hold actual conversations with video, or have you had problems and have had to explain that you were using your phone to vchat?

It'd be really helpful for me if you guys could post your experiences!

Also one last thing: Can you video chat over Google Talk using the Pre3? Or is Skype the only vchat option?

Thanks!
    I can confirm Skype video call works, but in my case, partially: My brother, on his wife's iPad 2, was able to see me, but I only saw myself - no image from him.
    Are you asking how well it works over 3G?

I've not tried that myself as it's likely to use up my data allowance in seconds. Also it's specifically not allowed by my operator.

For me it works well enough over WiFi. Yes I can walk around with it and hold a conversation, but in general I wouldn't as the image will be very unsteady.

Currently Skype is the only video chat option. I don't think you can link it to Google Talk.
    its exactly like anyother videocalling phone i.e netwrok dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    For me it works well enough over WiFi.
    Which Skype client was on the other end? I see nothing if I videocall an iPad 2.
  6. xpl
    Skype works OK if you ask me. The voice quality isnt the best in comparison to using it on the PC but the quality is much better than a regular phone call. I havent tried video calling yet.
    Iíve done a fair amount of video calling over 3G. Mostly by tethering my laptop to the phone, but also some directly on a (non-Pre3) phone.

Basically, if you have a strong signal you will get decent results, but expect to still get a fair amount of temporary freeze-ups and the like. If your signal strength starts to drop, youíre going to have significantly worse results. At which point youíre better off just switching to audio only.

Best results really, are to place the phone outside (where it will most likely get better reception) and wifi tether to a laptop/tablet inside to make the skype call.

In addition, before making a call, it doesnít hurt to run a couple of speedtest runs to find a spot where you get the best network throughput. Even moving around a building or room some can make a fair difference.

-Suntan
    Ok video, depends on the network I think
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Iíve done a fair amount of video calling over 3G. Mostly by tethering my laptop to the phone, but also some directly on a (non-Pre3) phone.

Basically, if you have a strong signal you will get decent results, but expect to still get a fair amount of temporary freeze-ups and the like. If your signal strength starts to drop, youíre going to have significantly worse results. At which point youíre better off just switching to audio only.

Best results really, are to place the phone outside (where it will most likely get better reception) and wifi tether to a laptop/tablet inside to make the skype call.

In addition, before making a call, it doesnít hurt to run a couple of speedtest runs to find a spot where you get the best network throughput. Even moving around a building or room some can make a fair difference.

-Suntan
    Thanks for your reply! But have you ever used the Pre3 to make a 3G video call? That was my initial question, although I didn't exactly make it clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaytheist View Post
    Thanks for your reply! But have you ever used the Pre3 to make a 3G video call? That was my initial question, although I didn't exactly make it clear.
    I don't think you can. I believe the only video calling supported is Skype. I would not know where in the Phone UI to trigger a 3G video call.

Max
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    I don't think you can. I believe the only video calling supported is Skype. I would not know where in the Phone UI to trigger a 3G video call.

Max
    My mistake, I should have been more clear. I was asking if they had made a video call, using Skype, over 3G (vs. wi-fi). Sorry for the confusion.
    skype voice clarity not great for me using 3g and high speed wifi...lot of disturbance.....but with normal phone call its clear.....anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdarygm View Post
    skype voice clarity not great for me using 3g and high speed wifi...lot of disturbance.....but with normal phone call its clear.....anyone else?
    I have noticed the same problem. i get a lot of clicking & it makes it really difficult to use it.
    Richard

Palm III>Palm m500>Palm Tungsten T2>Palm LifeDrive>Palm Pre>Palm Pre2>Pre 3 + Touchpad 32gb 3.0.2
    Quote Originally Posted by gaytheist View Post
    No. I’ve never even seen a Pre3 (Somebody didn’t think it made sense to bring it to the continent I live on…)

But assuming hp didn’t completely fudge up the implementation, skype quality should be similar from device to device. On my current phone (Droid 3) video calls via 3G are passable with a good signal (choppy video with freezes, but the audio is fine.)

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by richardallen42 View Post
    I have noticed the same problem. i get a lot of clicking & it makes it really difficult to use it.
    i don't know this was not tested when implementing into webs ....strange!!!!!
    hope we can get a patch soon to resolve this issue as i don't see there will be big HP update will come to this
    Just had my first Pre 3 video chat and was impressed.

Like the built in synergy, its great.

Quality was good, sometimes choppy via wifi. Same for the iPad2 at the other end ....

Picture was perfectly fine.

Previously failed on my Touchpad and couldn't get picture from a Windows client at the other end...
    Hi
    Here is my XP:
    I can confirm that the sound is usually (i have to test and see in what conditions) with a clicking every .25s or so on my side but the other side doesn't seem to experience any issues. I really hope they fix it before HP drops support all togheter.
    I have tried on Wifi and 3G as well and works (voice+video) in acceptable conditions.There seems to be a timing issue when signing in to skype on 3G as it might log in but it doesn't pull the active contacts. It would be great if mutliple IM accounts are set to select the one to log in on.I have skype and yahoo and pulls all the active contacts from both accounts ,maybe that is a reason. I usually sign in o wifi and then leave it on (i know battery!). Video seems to be better at the other end than mine but hey this is skype and video needs more than a unreliable wifi or 3g network so its understadable as video packets are routed untile they get dizzie and they ammount more then the voice ones. Call drops,freezes and such happen even on the home PC's so i dont expect any improvement in this area. Taking in cosideration a latency of 400-500 ms on 3g network only i was actually amaised that it actually works. Thumbs up on this one but quality needs a bit of work on the receiver end.

Hope that helps

BR Sylma
    I've done Skype over 3G, 4G and WiFi. For me, 4G and WiFi are almost identical. The quality is really good (I get pretty good coverage where I'm at). 3G is usually a LITTLE choppy, but the audio has always been perfect for me. I've never heard that clicking noise or anything of the like. The audio is hundreds of times better via Skype than it is as a normal phone call.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Is there any other use for the front camera other than Skype? I don't see any other way of accessing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast