Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

I've just ordered this item:

Amazon.com: Palm Pre 3 Touchstone Dock (Retail Packaging): Everything Else

But looking at it, and non 'Pre 3' touchstones, I'm not sure this is really actually for the Pre 3 specifically, is this anything special? Or the same item as this one:

Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre and Palm Pixi: Cell Phones & Accessories

Just that if it's the same thing, I can get it a lot cheaper if it's not Pre3 specific (older Touchstones are only $8!)...

RandomCake
  2.    #2  
    Just realised it says 'Verizon Wireless' on the box!

Seeing as the Pre3 was not released in the US, and certainly not by Verizon, that stinks...
    Anyone care to confirm or deny?

I'm gonna cancel my order and place a new one for a 'normal' touchstone now... Really wanted the Pre3 one (I hear the Pre3 wobbles a bit on the older Touchstones).

RandomCake
    they are all the same. Get the cheap ones.
    In case you're still wondering, I can confirm the wobbles when using a Pre3 with an older touchstone, but it does still charge.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    The old one works quite well, except the fact that I have to place the Pre3 at the right place so that it doesn't slide off. Otherwise it's a great charging option!
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    I lucked out and managed to find an old-gen touchstone that works perfectly with my Pre3 previous Touchstones didn't but this one works flawlessly with it. Jump plomp it on and i'm good to go.

Now if only i could get an extra battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomCake View Post
    Just realised it says 'Verizon Wireless' on the box!

Seeing as the Pre3 was not released in the US, and certainly not by Verizon, that stinks...
    Anyone care to confirm or deny?

I'm gonna cancel my order and place a new one for a 'normal' touchstone now... Really wanted the Pre3 one (I hear the Pre3 wobbles a bit on the older Touchstones).

RandomCake
    It does wobble a bit, but no big deal.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Good to hear. If the old ones work, that's the best $7 I've ever spent.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    There are no "Pre3" touchstones. Verizon still has the original for $5 with free shipping. Works perfectly with my Pre3. Remember, they don't come with a cable. You can use the one that came with your phone, but getting a second means you can use the other for traveling.

Set Your Location (enter your zip to see item)
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marysm View Post
    There are no "Pre3" touchstones.
    Set Your Location (enter your zip to see item)
    Has anyone here used the HP branded box ones to say they are any different. Pain about old ones not being as firmly seated...

I got 3 of the Verizon ones sent to my cousin in the US she's sending to Australia for me.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    is there a way to make the Pre3 lack the wobble? Have a touchstone installed in my car and dont want it falling off while I'm in motion. Stronger magnet help, I remember people use to do that for the original Pre
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    is there a way to make the Pre3 lack the wobble? Have a touchstone installed in my car and dont want it falling off while I'm in motion. Stronger magnet help, I remember people use to do that for the original Pre
    This should help but not sure it will be enough [EDIT: for car mounting], I'm interested in the same solution.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...-3-better.html
    Last edited by brum; 10/06/2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    tbh, I think it is just easier to plug the Pre 3 in than to keep listening to the ding dong when it slides off and/or keep checking to ensure it is still in place.
    My Pre 3 is also working just fine with an older "palm" touchstone. No problems or wobbles. I set it down and the phone goes right to the landscape screen and charges.
  15.    #15  
    Hi All,

Finally, my Touchstones have come from the USA! But there is a constant 'ding dong', with the Pre saying it's charging... and not charging, is this normal?
    Am I failing to position it correctly?
    Is there a setting I need to adjust in my Pre? Or do I need to be using a real Palm branded charger (currently using a Sony, but they are the Universal standard of charger now aren't they?)

Thanks,

RandomCake
    I think the charger that is speced for those is a 1Ah (1000mAh) charger. Either you're not giving it enough juice, or your not positioning it correctly
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomCake View Post
    Hi All,

Finally, my Touchstones have come from the USA! But there is a constant 'ding dong', with the Pre saying it's charging... and not charging, is this normal?
    Am I failing to position it correctly?
    Is there a setting I need to adjust in my Pre? Or do I need to be using a real Palm branded charger (currently using a Sony, but they are the Universal standard of charger now aren't they?)

Thanks,

RandomCake
    You have to find the sweet spot,on the touchstone, it can go nuts if not on the right spot, generally its fine, using a sony charger hmmm , I thought you said you just got the TS from the USA, if your talking the cable (which is not a charger), makes no difference
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    You have to find the sweet spot,on the touchstone, it can go nuts if not on the right spot, generally its fine, using a sony charger hmmm , I thought you said you just got the TS from the USA, if your talking the cable (which is not a charger), makes no difference
    Something along these lines:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

It will charge the phone without any involvement from the TS, so surely it is still a charger?
    I didn't think it should, but just in case the Palm chargers (the combination of the plug and cable) had something special in them, thought it worth mentioning.

How small is this sweet spot?

RandomCake
    Quote Originally Posted by modelnet View Post
    The "Ding Dong" is annoying. I have 3 TS and charging seems to work not so bad on two and is almost impossible for the third. The third one will be the one I start filing and modifying. You do need to find the sweet spot. I seem to have good luck placing the Pre3 on the TS in a horizontal position as opposed to the conventional vertical placement.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    Has anyone here used the HP branded box ones to say they are any different. Pain about old ones not being as firmly seated...

I got 3 of the Verizon ones sent to my cousin in the US she's sending to Australia for me.
    I have an HP boxed one, but I am not opening it, as I have plenty of TouchStones as it is... this one came with the Pre2 I ordered off eBay.

I have seen one guy way back when the Pre3 launched in EU that claimed to have purchased a bigger "Pre3" TS. If there were a Pre3 TS, the easy tell would be the puck actually having HP branding. Even the HP boxed one I have shows Palm branding on the TS on the image on the box.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast