Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    These devices are out there but not for us, it would seem http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ot-sale-4.html. Not yet anyway. So I've done what people (including me) have been asking for and set up a Facebook page. If you want a Pre 3 4G and think it's not good enough for all that stock to be gathering dust:

1) like the page, share it with others and post your comments
    2) contact HP and tell them you want the Pre 3 released from jail
    3) tweet #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS with your mode of contact so there's a quantification of how much contact HP is getting.

It may not make a lick of difference but it's better than us all crying in the corner and wishing something would change. I'm quite open to input on the wording of the description, and for anyone who has Leo Apotheker's ear to poke him in that direction once there's a bit of support there!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-t...653630?sk=info

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gregp; 09/12/2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Updated URL, instructions
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post

They'll need at least 10,000 unique people to even think about changing their minds.
    OK so what's the problem? At the time of writing precentral has 96721 registered members (was 96717 when I started this post). Let's say 1/4 of them still have some interest in webOS. 15 minutes of each member's life and the cost of a stamp to send Apotheker a 'please reconsider' letter, and he'd have about 24,000 letters on his desk next week asking for these devices to be made available to us. It's not much and it could be enough to get the Pre 3 into our hands.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I've moved the Facebook group to the public page in the opening post now so anyone can get involved without admin approval. Like, share and comment away folks!
    Great idea!
    It's a great start. I would suggest using the page to disseminate info on how interested parties can CALL or WRITE to HP/Palm to express their interest. An FB page alone really is just like "crying in the corner and wishing something would change", it's just a different corner. ;-)
    DONE! as I needed a different corner to sulk in as mine was getting lonely. I really need a new phone but can't bare the thought of having to jump to any other inferior platforms.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    It's a great start. I would suggest using the page to disseminate info on how interested parties can CALL or WRITE to HP/Palm to express their interest. An FB page alone really is just like "crying in the corner and wishing something would change", it's just a different corner. ;-)
    Great idea! What info should we have there? I'm in Australia so am not really up with the best US contact points for this sort of thing.
    Instead of a petition, why not just start by simply requesting it? Nicely. You're jumping a few steps.
    Any chance we could get one of these petitions *not* linked to Facebook?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Instead of a petition, why not just start by simply requesting it? Nicely. You're jumping a few steps.
    I think that's all the petition's about, we're not being nasty, just showing how many people want it. The previous post about contact details is a great idea so we can do that too; maybe if they got a thousand phone calls and emails a day, then saw lots of people liking this page, they'd realise there's a big market for the Pre3 and think about it!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Any chance we could get one of these petitions *not* linked to Facebook?
    I don't really care where it's hosted. FB was just the easiest place to put it and lots of people have it. But if someone has a better idea that's fine, let's just make sure it's a unified stand rather than half a dozen different petition pages. So if you have a good reason for it being off FB and want to propose a change please do it sooner rather than later.
    I've always heard that whether it's saving a TV show or getting a software update, it's real life phone calls and physical letters that make the difference. The Powers That Be see petitions, facebook, etc... as lazy and uncommitted (anyone can click "like" on a Facebook page and never think about it again for the rest of their lives but if that same person takes 30 minutes of their time to contact the company it makes all the difference in the world).
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yep I'm right behind that jtfolden. I've just come off a chat with HP sales, none of them knew anything about it unsurprisingly, but they recommended contacting HP Corporate Headquarters.

They are available on (650) 857-1501. They are open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday - Friday.

Alternatively, write them at:

Attn: Leo Apotheker
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    3000 Hanover Street
    Palo Alto, CA 94304-1185 USA

Does someone who's familiar with the whole situation want to put a few points together that should go in a letter? I wouldn't recommend people sending identical letters but some guidance on what to include would be helpful.

I would still think the petition has value if there are lots of likes there, it's not hard to like it or share it but I'll add this info into the page description.
    Howabout a contest?

If Leo can say "HP Pre 3 4G" 10 times fast, they dont have to release it.
    You got this all wrong I think. You need to send to CEO of AT&T, they are the ones that don't want sell it.

someone post his mail address, Email, and phone number to call.

They'll need at least 10,000 unique people to even think about changing their minds.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Could you explain why? I could be wrong but I understood AT&T cancelled their order so the stock, while AT&T branded, still belongs to HP. AT&T were quite happy to sell them until HP decided to pull the pin on developing webOS devices.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post

OK so what's the problem? precentral currently has 96721 registered members (was 96717 five minutes ago). Let's say 1/4 of them still have some interest in webOS and figure a Pre 3 would be better in their hand than in Leo's warehouse. 15 minutes of each member's life and the cost of a stamp to send Apotheker a 'please reconsider' letter would see 24,000 letters on his desk next week asking for these devices to be made available to us. If that doesn't make an impression I don't know what will. It's not much to ask of each member and it could be enough to get the Pre 3 into our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    OK so what's the problem? precentral currently has 96721 registered members (was 96717 five minutes ago). Let's say 1/4 of them still have some interest in webOS. 15 minutes of each member's life and the cost of a stamp to send Apotheker a 'please reconsider' letter, and he'd have about 24,000 letters on his desk next week asking for these devices to be made available to us. It's not much and it could be enough to get the Pre 3 into our hands.
    Seriously, the more letters the better (and 24,000 letters would make Leo look like a fool) but I don't think you'd need even 10,000 people doing it. I think if even 5,000 US residents seriously took the time to call and/or put pen to paper and lick a stamp that we'd have some Pre 3's released pretty darn quick.

If we could get PreCentral to put a post on the main page requesting calls and physical letters and left it there for a week or so, I think HP's inboxes would be in BIG trouble.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Good call to action there jtfolden. While the physical bulk of all that mail will be imposing, you can be sure that even 5000 letters arrive, Apotheker's not going to read every one of them, let alone 24000.

I would think there's value in having a well written letter explaining why we as a community feel this way that he reads, in addition to seeing all the other mail. I guess that's what a signed petition is normally about. But how do we do that in this community other than an online petition which has been already noted to sometimes be less effective? I would suggest we keep liking the facebook page and put the well written letter there, and have each person link to that page in their letter.

Thoughts?
    I think that the "intent" and impact overall, from thousands of letters, may be the more valuable tool, honestly. We're lucky here in that the message we need to send is an exceedingly simple one.

"You have Pre 3's, I want to buy one."

It really is that simple. ...and HP doesn't need a life story here or a drawn out explanation. The people that get paid to deal with customer correspondence probably aren't going to read the whole letter anyway. They'll skim the first paragraph for intent, note that or forward it, and quickly move along to the next one.

Leo himself is certainly not going to read 5,000 letters. In fact, if a single one made it to his desk without an assistant opening it up first, it could be a small miracle. ...but someone inside HP has to, MUST, open up all those plain white envelopes just to verify the contents.

Truck loads of snail mail have a way of transforming the mood inside a company. Everyone from the mail room guys up through the secretaries and assistants must deal with these letters in some way. They take up space, they have to be opened, they have to be read (so stick that Pre 3 request in the first line or two!), they have to be managed and dealt with.

A huge fan campaign like this becomes water cooler gossip, it becomes the talk of the office and eventually the board room.

A successful fan campaign, if pulled off exceedingly well, is another point in favor of HP licensing or selling webOS as well. How many people, outside of iPhone fans, are clamoring over themselves and sending mail to get a phone released?

Hell, when's the last time HP has received that kind of response to ANYTHING they've ever released?

On top of the fire sale, this would be more buzz-worthy, media-ready news.

So, from my POV, Facebook pages, tweets, webpages, blog posts, etc, etc... all that should be used to organize and rally the webOS army... but I feel all contact between that "army" and HP should be of an overtly physical nature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast