Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I've been reading this on my Pre 2 at work and wanted to wait until I got home to chime in. I think this is a great idea, but I think it was also be great if we could have some way to talley the communication attempts here so that other websites can get a grasp of how much we are contacting HP. If other websites pick up on the campaign (engadget, thisismynext, etc...) and write an article on it we may pick up more supporters and also bring some industry attention to how many want a Pre 3. It would put external pressure on HP as well.
    The other option there is for contacting Leo is via email from HP's site. I know it doesn't go to him and what not (similar to dan@sprint.com) but it is still another option for contacting. This is the direct link. HP Executive Team: CEO email
    I still think writting letters is the best bet and it would be awesome if Precentral would put this on the main page.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonvon View Post
    Hey everyone, I've been reading this on my Pre 2 at work and wanted to wait until I got home to chime in. I think this is a great idea, but I think it was also be great if we could have some way to talley the communication attempts here so that other websites can get a grasp of how much we are contacting HP.
    You know, actually, even just to gauge our own efforts, it would, indeed, be great to have a "registry" somewhere where people report once* for the letter or their call-in attempts.

*note: I say once because the last thing you would want to see reported on a blog somewhere is that the same 50 people are calling over and over again. Certainly, anyone should be free to write/call HP as much as they want but it would be better if any registry lists the individuals rather than a tally of events.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    You know, actually, even just to gauge our own efforts, it would, indeed, be great to have a "registry" somewhere where people report once* for the letter or their call-in attempts.

*note: I say once because the last thing you would want to see reported on a blog somewhere is that the same 50 people are calling over and over again. Certainly, anyone should be free to write/call HP as much as they want but it would be better if any registry lists the individuals rather than a tally of events.
    maybe if there would be a way to log ip's or email addresses in a secure way that would be best.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    just had another idea... We could create a second facebook page you could like after you've contacted hp and then write on the wall via which method. That would help limit each person to one click, although not perfectly.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    What about retweeting #Free-The-HP-Pre3-4G once we've sent something and include the mode of delivery? That way we could see if there's a double post. An aggregate may be able to be worked out... imagine if we could get it to trend... Or is there an aversion to Twitter?

Greg
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    if we go via Twitter I recommend maintaining the #webOSOS tag also in the post.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    OK so we Like the FB as an online petition, then contact HP via one or more forms to really make our voice heard, then retweet our form(s) of contact at
    #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS.

Yeah?
    Last edited by gregp; 09/12/2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    OK so we Like the FB as an online petition, then contact HP via one or more forms to really make our voice heard, then retweet our form(s) of contact at
    #Free-The-HP-Pre3-4G #webOSOS #webOS.

Yeah?
    ok, hyphens aren't hashtag friendly. Its going to have to be #FreeTheHPPre34g.
    Last edited by iamjonvon; 09/12/2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Done! The hashcode is #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS as the dashes broke it into separate words and underscores would take too long! Now it's up to everyone here to get behind this.
    Last edited by gregp; 09/12/2011 at 02:05 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    FWIW, this is what Leo got from me...

----
    Dear Mr Apotheker,

Re: You have Pre 3 4G’s, I want to buy one (or more)

Like many members of the webOS community eager for the Pre 3 4G, I was gutted to learn of HP’s recent decision to discontinue development of webOS devices. To learn a number of Pre 3 4G’s originally destined for AT&T are complete but sitting in storage is a further blow.

The purpose for my letter to you today is to request that you make available to the webOS community any of these Pre 3 4G devices which may exist.

Despite the unenlightened consumer’s view of this device, interest in the Pre 3 4G remains intense within the webOS community. App developers, homebrewers, forum members and those who just use and love their webOS device - many of these have stood by webOS through its ups and downs, and I think it’s fair to say webOS owes something to the ongoing tireless efforts of many of these people. Unsurprisingly, these are the ones crying out the loudest for the device they’ve been waiting for since Feb 9, 2011.

Consider this:
    • HP has invested much time and money into the development of the Pre 3 and will only make a return on this investment if these devices are sold. This is presumably more attractive to a shareholder than seeing that money tied up in a warehouse.
    • Developers will be more likely to develop apps if they have access to the flagship device. More apps will make webOS a more attractive platform for licensing to a third party and providing a return on HP’s $1.2b investment in Palm.
    • The many new Touchpad owners who are just discovering webOS are keen to optimise their webOS experience by using it with a Pre 3. As this combination is media reviewed, the profile of webOS will again be raised and shown in its best light to potential suitors.
    • As a fire sale, the Pre 3’s would at least be off your hands instead of tying up storage costs.
    • If nothing else, this is an opportunity for HP to make a demonstration of good will to the webOS community, and to some extent ‘make it right’ with those who have long held and will continue to hold the webOS banner high.

I therefore implore you to make these devices available to the webOS community, such as the sizeable online community at precentral.net.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there’s anything I can do to assist progressing this forward.

Regards,
    ------

You're welcome to use this as the basis of what you send but please don't just do a copy and paste. A bit of imagination will go a long way if any of these actually get read!

iamjonvon and I have the ball rolling #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS

Greg
    cubeover likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Wow got 56 likes on the new Facebook page within the first 12 hours, not bad! But I'd be surprised if there are only 56 people out there who want a US Pre 3

Keep it up - a few minutes by everyone could make a difference for all of us so head on over, read what we're trying to do and be a part of it!

Greg
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I emailed the hp BoD days ago..still no response.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianaml View Post
    I emailed the hp BoD days ago..still no response.
    Don't expect one. They're all Apotheker's goons.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Would it be worth targeting de Witt and Rub(y)enstein?
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Rubenstein works in a different business unit those days.
    I really hope we get more people behind this. I've been [once again] showing webOS off to my friends and telling them theres an awesome new device, blah blah blah to get them to sign the petition.(like the FB page)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    FWIW, this is what Leo got from me...

----
    Dear Mr Apotheker,

Re: You have Pre 3 4G’s, I want to buy one (or more)

Like many members of the webOS community eager for the Pre 3 4G, I was gutted to learn of HP’s recent decision to discontinue development of webOS devices. To learn a number of Pre 3 4G’s originally destined for AT&T are complete but sitting in storage is a further blow.

The purpose for my letter to you today is to request that you make available to the webOS community any of these Pre 3 4G devices which may exist.

Despite the unenlightened consumer’s view of this device, interest in the Pre 3 4G remains intense within the webOS community. App developers, homebrewers, forum members and those who just use and love their webOS device - many of these have stood by webOS through its ups and downs, and I think it’s fair to say webOS owes something to the ongoing tireless efforts of many of these people. Unsurprisingly, these are the ones crying out the loudest for the device they’ve been waiting for since Feb 9, 2011.

Consider this:
    • HP has invested much time and money into the development of the Pre 3 and will only make a return on this investment if these devices are sold. This is presumably more attractive to a shareholder than seeing that money tied up in a warehouse.
    • Developers will be more likely to develop apps if they have access to the flagship device. More apps will make webOS a more attractive platform for licensing to a third party and providing a return on HP’s $1.2b investment in Palm.
    • The many new Touchpad owners who are just discovering webOS are keen to optimise their webOS experience by using it with a Pre 3. As this combination is media reviewed, the profile of webOS will again be raised and shown in its best light to potential suitors.
    • As a fire sale, the Pre 3’s would at least be off your hands instead of tying up storage costs.
    • If nothing else, this is an opportunity for HP to make a demonstration of good will to the webOS community, and to some extent ‘make it right’ with those who have long held and will continue to hold the webOS banner high.

I therefore implore you to make these devices available to the webOS community, such as the sizeable online community at precentral.net.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there’s anything I can do to assist progressing this forward.

Regards,
    ------

You're welcome to use this as the basis of what you send but please don't just do a copy and paste. A bit of imagination will go a long way if any of these actually get read!

iamjonvon and I have the ball rolling #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS

Greg
    Keep the push going my friends and associates, however you need to keep in mind that there are legal issues at play and in the end HP's ability to overcome those issues will determine how, when, and if these devices ever see the light of day!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Ditto. Up to 90 likes now which is great work but as has been said we need everyone to get behind this! Liking the page is a great start but contacting HP and then tweeting about it are pretty important too.

Perhaps a mod could sticky this thread?
    Last edited by gregp; 09/14/2011 at 02:10 AM.
    this is why I think that branding devices is evil. Nokia think so too, as does Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    however you need to keep in mind that there are legal issues at play and in the end HP's ability to overcome those issues will determine how, when, and if these devices ever see the light of day!
    Hmmm. I wonder if that's the reason that HP employees are the ones selling Pre 3s on eBay? If HP sells to employees as end users, not as dealers, then the employee picks up all the liability when selling on eBay. Your Pre3 doesn't provision? Not my problem. Contact your seller.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12