09/12/2011, 02:05 AM
FWIW, this is what Leo got from me...
Dear Mr Apotheker,
Re: You have Pre 3 4G’s, I want to buy one (or more)
Like many members of the webOS community eager for the Pre 3 4G, I was gutted to learn of HP’s recent decision to discontinue development of webOS devices. To learn a number of Pre 3 4G’s originally destined for AT&T are complete but sitting in storage is a further blow.
The purpose for my letter to you today is to request that you make available to the webOS community any of these Pre 3 4G devices which may exist.
Despite the unenlightened consumer’s view of this device, interest in the Pre 3 4G remains intense within the webOS community. App developers, homebrewers, forum members and those who just use and love their webOS device - many of these have stood by webOS through its ups and downs, and I think it’s fair to say webOS owes something to the ongoing tireless efforts of many of these people. Unsurprisingly, these are the ones crying out the loudest for the device they’ve been waiting for since Feb 9, 2011.
• HP has invested much time and money into the development of the Pre 3 and will only make a return on this investment if these devices are sold. This is presumably more attractive to a shareholder than seeing that money tied up in a warehouse.
• Developers will be more likely to develop apps if they have access to the flagship device. More apps will make webOS a more attractive platform for licensing to a third party and providing a return on HP’s $1.2b investment in Palm.
• The many new Touchpad owners who are just discovering webOS are keen to optimise their webOS experience by using it with a Pre 3. As this combination is media reviewed, the profile of webOS will again be raised and shown in its best light to potential suitors.
• As a fire sale, the Pre 3’s would at least be off your hands instead of tying up storage costs.
• If nothing else, this is an opportunity for HP to make a demonstration of good will to the webOS community, and to some extent ‘make it right’ with those who have long held and will continue to hold the webOS banner high.
I therefore implore you to make these devices available to the webOS community, such as the sizeable online community at precentral.net.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there’s anything I can do to assist progressing this forward.
You're welcome to use this as the basis of what you send but please don't just do a copy and paste. A bit of imagination will go a long way if any of these actually get read!
iamjonvon and I have the ball rolling #FreeTheHPPre34G #webOSOS #webOS