Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Lo,

I am suprised that someone else hasnt asked this yet (or are my search terms wrong?) but what is the best way to transfer my data ie memos sms etc from a pre (original) to a pre 3?

I have searched the forum but have only found transfers to a pre2 and lower being described.

I havent transferred over to another web os device before so I dont have any experience with this since I only started in april this year with web os.

thanks for your help or pointing me to a thread

Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    I would recommend the following approach:

If you have Preware installed, get Save/Restore. If you don't have Preware installed, get Preware installed first.

Some of the data (for example, Memos) will get restored through the Palm profile when you log in to your existing profile with the new Pre3. But not everything. Most of the rest can be transferred with Save/Restore.

Note that logging into your existing Profile with the new Pre 3 will likely wipe your existing Pre.

On your old Pre:

1. In Preware, update your saved packages list.
    2. In Save/Restore, save all application data.
    3. Backup your USB partition to a PC.

On your new Pre3, first activate the phone. If you are in an official country with an official SIM, just insert the SIM and go through the first activation procedure. If you are not in an official country, and you want paid app catalog access, find the thread about Impostah and paid app catalog activation, read it carefully and follow the advice in that thread BEFORE INSERTING A SIM.

When you need to log in to a Palm profile, log in to your existing profile. Your old Pre will be wiped. You did make all those backups, didn't you?

So next, restore all that data to the new phone:

1. Restore the data on the USB partition with data from your PC.
    2. Install Preware. With Preware, install Save/Restore.
    3. Exit from Preware. Start Save/Restore.
    4. Restore the Preware application data.
    5. Start Preware, go the the saved package list screen and "install all". This will install your previous Homebrew apps (should you have had some).
    6. Now start each of the software you want to restore and exit again.
    7. Start Save/Restore and restore all application data.

An alternative approach, if you want to keep your original Pre connected to the existing profile: create a new Palm Profile for the Pre3. In that case, you will not get your data/apps restored automatically. For the apps, repurchase what you need and download the rest from the HP App Catalog. Then, follow the restoration process. You will get the data of apps restored via Save/Restore, but you will miss some data that is stored in the Palm profile. Likely, that would be Memos and SMS and any Contacts only in your Palm Profile and so on. I have never run into this difficulty myself since I keep all that data in Google's cloud, and so it syncs to all my Pres. Memos won't sync with Google, but I have no important information in them.

Hope this is of some help.

Max
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Ok so its looks like a similiar regime to backing up my old pre in case i have to web doctor it.

In what part of the sequence should i use pre backup utility?

Before save/restore or after it?

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply
    so, I'm not entirely clear on this issue:

if I'm transferring from an ATT pre+ to a UK Pre3, do I need to do impostah etc to get the US app catalogue?
    Hi
    if you're activating the pre 3 in USA, no need to use impostah (if the UK phone is brand new as the moment you put in your US sim card it would be US activated.

However suggest you do the following
    Step 1- Pre - Use save/restore - backup all your apps etc
    Step 2- then transfer the backup files into you PC
    Step 3- turn off you pre (power off, take out sim)
    Step 4 - put sim into pre 3( power up, activate to the Pre profile)
    Step 5 - it should take in all the old apps from Pre
    Step 6 - install preware, save /restore
    Step 7 - USB it and transfer the desktop backup files
    Step 8 - run save/restore and restore from backup files.
    Step 9 - ready to go.
    Followed your instructions which were a nice distillation of everything I'd done about a month ago when moving from a phantom-touching Pre+ to an eBay-procured Pre+ which will now go to my wife. Anyway, your concise directions worked like a charm. Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    What directorys of the pre1 do i copy back to the Pre3?

Or is it only going to be data ie pictures and music that i can transfer with a straight copy before save/restore?

thanks
    Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by m-h-k View Post
    I would recommend the following approach:

If you have Preware installed, get Save/Restore. If you don't have Preware installed, get Preware installed first.

Some of the data (for example, Memos) will get restored through the Palm profile when you log in to your existing profile with the new Pre3. But not everything. Most of the rest can be transferred with Save/Restore.

Note that logging into your existing Profile with the new Pre 3 will likely wipe your existing Pre.

On your old Pre:

1. In Preware, update your saved packages list.
    2. In Save/Restore, save all application data.
    3. Backup your USB partition to a PC.

On your new Pre3, first activate the phone. If you are in an official country with an official SIM, just insert the SIM and go through the first activation procedure. If you are not in an official country, and you want paid app catalog access, find the thread about Impostah and paid app catalog activation, read it carefully and follow the advice in that thread BEFORE INSERTING A SIM.

When you need to log in to a Palm profile, log in to your existing profile. Your old Pre will be wiped. You did make all those backups, didn't you?

So next, restore all that data to the new phone:

1. Restore the data on the USB partition with data from your PC.
    2. Install Preware. With Preware, install Save/Restore.
    3. Exit from Preware. Start Save/Restore.
    4. Restore the Preware application data.
    5. Start Preware, go the the saved package list screen and "install all". This will install your previous Homebrew apps (should you have had some).
    6. Now start each of the software you want to restore and exit again.
    7. Start Save/Restore and restore all application data.

An alternative approach, if you want to keep your original Pre connected to the existing profile: create a new Palm Profile for the Pre3. In that case, you will not get your data/apps restored automatically. For the apps, repurchase what you need and download the rest from the HP App Catalog. Then, follow the restoration process. You will get the data of apps restored via Save/Restore, but you will miss some data that is stored in the Palm profile. Likely, that would be Memos and SMS and any Contacts only in your Palm Profile and so on. I have never run into this difficulty myself since I keep all that data in Google's cloud, and so it syncs to all my Pres. Memos won't sync with Google, but I have no important information in them.

Hope this is of some help.

Max

Perfect solution! Got all my homebrew apps and patches reinstalled on my replacement pre without having to reinstall them one by one. This was especially helpful since some of the apps and patches no longer exist. THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time to post this.