Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superhyper
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I'm new to the whole WebOS thing and I've get a new Pre3. I wouldn't have got it if not for the firesale price, because although it had some features I liked I was aware that there were few apps for it. Now I've got it I have fallen in love with it.

The integration to Skype & Google (and others too), combined with the fact that it's unlocked, really make it a wonderful and unique product especially when I travel. The multitasking is awesome and I am shocked by how nice the portrait keyboard format is. It's fast and easy to use.

On the downside the battery is feeble (and I can't even get a spare + charger), the Apps Catalog is painfully limited, there is no virtual keyboard for landscape use and the web browser lacks basic features (saved passwords, auto-complete, etc.).

I haven't seen the released Touchpad but it doesn't appeal to me - the 7 inch mobile internet version would have been fantastic though. It's a shame that HP have killed WebOS (let's be honest) but they'd made such an **** of explaining/promoting/positioning/producing the WebOS range that it seems to have been inevitable.

Fortunately by the time my Pre3 dies on me I expect Windows phone to have caught up and Windows 8 tablets to be the new big thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallan View Post
    Fortunately by the time my Pre3 dies on me I expect Windows phone to have caught up and Windows 8 tablets to be the new big thing.
    I wouldn't be too sure, for the last couple of years Microsoft has made a hobby out of taking promising product lines and mismanaging them into oblivion (Maybe they should hire Leo?). The xbox division has been a refreshing change from that, but between Zune, the Courier (sadly never released), Kin, and a number of Enterprise products they've gotten good at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I just hope HP gets out of the fantasy that they can still guide webOS. They need to sell it (and the associated IP) to someone competent in software and platform management.
    pgarcia likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Maybe. But I think they understand that the phone/tablet market is critical to their future.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallan View Post
    Maybe. But I think they understand that the phone/tablet market is critical to their future.
    And that is why HP dumped WebOS, because it is critical to their future.
    In my opinion, as this device is foremost a phone, the most painfully lacking is an integrated SIP client for Voip communication.
    The type of thing that Nokia's have built in for ages.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I agree with Rallan about the HP Pre3. I find the multitasking and IM integration absolutely brilliant. I have already used Skype and it works very well.

Additionally the Exchange support on it is better than the iPhone or any other phone I have used recently. It will certainly make a great work-phone, as i intend to keep the two separate.

Battery life is an issue but in my case I am never away from a USB port so I should be OK. I just hope I will be able to get spares for it.

My only two gripes and please help if you can - a portrait/landscape orientation switch will be godsend as i find the accelerometer very very sensitive and it constantly jumps back to landscape.

Also, the keyboard lights do no seem to work. They do after a reboot or removal of the battery but shortly afterwards they tend to stop lighting up. Any ideas?

Overall, I am super pleased with the Pre3. Compared to iPhone, voice and signal quality is superb and I can now finally start using my data allowance properly!

M&M
    I'm expecting the Pre3 to address the shortcomings in my current phone. At the moment I have a 2 year old Sony Ericsson Satio, that I bought new. Hopefully the Pre3 will be better in:

Speed (as in CPU and the OS in general (The satio has a CPU underclocked to 400MHz to save battery and rocks Symbian S60v5)).
    Text input
    Size & Weight (Satio is a bit of a brick)
    Number of apps
    Document Editing
    Maps
    Calendar & scheduling

I do still like (but not love) my Satio. When it was new it had many features that were great, and even the iPhone didn't have at the same time (cut and paste, better camera, notifications, alert LED, front facing camera). The Camera on it is awesome however, and in my opinion one of the best phone cameras ever made, which I'll miss when I switch to the Pre3.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    and let's not forget Windows Home Server, which like webOS, is an insanely good product killed by HP and microsoft.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalamos View Post
    Also, the keyboard lights do no seem to work. They do after a reboot or removal of the battery but shortly afterwards they tend to stop lighting up. Any ideas?
    might be because you have the brightness turned all the way down? try setting it to a really low value rather than the lowest value.

for some reason they tied the keyboard brightness to the screen brightness. there is a homebrew patch that inverts it, which i think makes more sense.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    and let's not forget Windows Home Server, which like webOS, is an insanely good product killed by HP and microsoft.
    There is a new version of WHS. But I love the previous version. It's very awesome
    Devices
    -Sprint Pre & FrankenPre 2
    -AT&T Pre3 4G
    Accessories
    -5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    WHS 2011 is alive and well, I am running it and way better than V1.
    I've found the ambient light sensor on my Pre3 to be very sensitive. That's my only gripe. Other than that I love it. It's lightning fast and the new hardware is a welcome upgrade from my Pre Plus. This phone can stand up against any other phone currently on the market. No doubt about it.
    I think the pre3 needs more ram and more storage. I know there was going to be a 16GB ATT version coming, but to release any phone with only 8GB and no expandable storage is pretty bad. 16GB I'd consider bare minimum.I'd sort of expect a phone like the Pre3 to start at 32GB if there is no expandable storage.

Also with the amount of ram webos uses by default on my pre3 (seems to consume around 370MB on boot up for me) I would want more ram on it too, 768MB minimum. TP likewise should have 1.5GB at least if not 2GB of ram given it's memory footprint.

I believe my pre3 had only something like 5.6GB of usable storage before anything got installed to it, then I put 2GB of apps and games on it, and another 2GB of music (struggled to pare down my meager 11GB of MP3s to 2GB) to leave some left over for other things.

Don't get me wrong I do love my two Pre3s (one QWERTY and one AZERTY) and hopefully they will last me for the next 2-4 years, but I am still somewhat at a loss why HP or Palm didn't beef up the ram or storage more. The Pre3 seems like it was going to be marketed as a "power phone" of sorts, not a low end budget device.
    I dislike the on/off button. It's hard to reach and push especially when lying. I have to pick it up to find the button. It was much easier with the Pre-.
    Click here to see my Palm Pre photos

Fave Apps: Agenda, Facebook, Molo Photo Filters Pro, Spaz, AuctionMate Pro, Flickr Mundo, Brightness Unlinked, AccuWeather, NomNomNom, KalemSoft Media Player, Paketverfolgung, Puzzle Master

Palm Pre -> HP Pre 3 + TouchPad <3
    Personally i'm not sure what to do. I originally got pre3 because I had some issues with the pre2, but the issues are persisting so now it looks like i'll be changing carrier. So now i'm wondering whether or not to keep the pre3. I'm still within my 7 day cooling off period.

I love the form factor. The big screen is nice, although curiously i'm finding the bigger keyboard tiring on my fingers! There are a few patches missing for 2.2 (specifically 15px font for messaging and full screen browser) and I don't suppose that situation will change unless a way is found to put 2.2 on other devices.

My biggest gripe though is memory and storage. I hear from rod whitby that the pre3 actually has less ram available to webos than the pre2. And then of course there's that 8gb storage which takes us back to pre- days. I realise that they would have beefed up the storage had the whole thing not been canned, but starting at 8gb is just silly.

just when I think yes i'll send it back, I open and close the keyboard and that action is sooooo sweet. I really don't know!
    No real reason to have more than 8GB if all you're using it for is apps and music. Laziness results in that space getting filled. Despite popular belief you do not need to carry your entire music collection with you. Add and remove albums as you listen to them.

There's nothing wrong with the amount of RAM in my experience, I constantly have Carbon, Facebook, Calendar and Email open and open and close other apps during the day without issue.

The larger keyboard tiring on your fingers? For crying out loud, man up. It's a big improvement on the Pre and the Pre2. The keys depress further, are spaced farther apart and are larger too.

The on/off button difficult to reach? My god you're difficult to please.
    i think its a fantastic phone, the only time ive felt an utter moron owning it is when people ask me to bluetooth them say my ringtone or a picture and i have to say "i cant bluetooth a thing im afraid" but they can send me stuff :/

also they have to initiate the pairing as they see my pre3 and my pre3 cant see them or ask for a pairing.

madness.
    Bluetooth send/receive should be on EVERY phone with bluetooth capability. Can't understand why this was skipped on the Pre! Surely it can't be that hard to implement?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Bluetooth send/receive should be on EVERY phone with bluetooth capability. Can't understand why this was skipped on the Pre! Surely it can't be that hard to implement?
    yeah the "webOS only" thing in this instance is pretty insane, i mean it works, but other people have to pair ME, i can accept, they can send me stuff (i get no notification however) and the files magically appear in my tmp folder.

when i accept the pairing as well it even says i supposedly have access to the other phones contacts and er something else ive forgotten atm. cant say i saw or noticed anything tho.
    Cannot remember last time I used Bluetooth to transfer a file to or from another phone but I agree it's a feature that should be standard.