Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TopTongueBarry
  1.    #1  
    Is it just me or does seeing this HP Pre 3 branded with AT&T make you hopeful that it will be released in the US? I mean where did this guy get this Pre3 shot and why have permission to post them unless they want to garner interest.
    You'll only see them leak out of HP employees hands. HP owns them, lock stock and barrel. AT&T branding on them presents legal issues.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Yea, i doubt Hp will sell them. If they do they would have to honor warranties and support to end user and I doubt they want to do that. To sell them them would have to remove the AT&T branding and flash the software. All cost I doubt they are willing absorb.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceveret3 View Post
    Yea, i doubt Hp will sell them. If they do they would have to honor warranties and support to end user and I doubt they want to do that. To sell them them would have to remove the AT&T branding and flash the software. All cost I doubt they are willing absorb.
    Not necessarily. Sold as white box items with no branding on the outside of the box they may be able to skirt a majority of the legal issues.

Doesn't matter what's inside if the person who is buying it knows what they are buying and that they are buying an unsupported non warrantied item. They can leave the AT&T flashing on the device and even the back cover. It would be nice to think HP would be cool enough to include the unlock code in every box but that may not be entirely under their control either.

What I now see happening is HP will sell the whole lot of these to a single vendor who will, under the terms of the contract, repackage them in plain white boxes. Neither HP or AT&T will be responsible for warranty or service. It will be up to the vendors discretion whether they want to offer warranty for their customers or not.

Under this scenario, we might be lucky to see these white box devices appearing on ebay and available through online resellers before christmas. Lucky being the key word.

Two more things, buyers shouldn't expect updates to the OS and these devices will be dirt cheap!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/09/2011 at 06:33 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Two more things, buyers shouldn't expect updates to the OS and these devices will be dirt cheap!
    you mean they shouldn't expect them to be dirt cheap? The going rate for Pre3s right now is in the $700 range (for those in the U.S. at least those in the UK of course are able to get them nearly free with contracts). Unless these phantom U.S. Pre3s are released with restrictions (1 per buyer) you can expect if they ever do show up the scalpers will be there faster than most the rest of us could.

I suppose cheap is a relative term in any case..
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    you mean they shouldn't expect them to be dirt cheap? The going rate for Pre3s right now is in the $700 range (for those in the U.S. at least those in the UK of course are able to get them nearly free with contracts). Unless these phantom U.S. Pre3s are released with restrictions (1 per buyer) you can expect if they ever do show up the scalpers will be there faster than most the rest of us could.

I suppose cheap is a relative term in any case..
    I mean they will be cheap, at least initially. Until there's no more to be had. I bet HP will sell them to a vendor for pennies on the dollar to be rid of them knowing they will be repackaged before being sold to the public.
    I know this extremely optimistic, but what if someone sees the feeding frenzy around TP and now the Pre 3, and decides to produce this hardware going forward. Isn't it possible that the soon to be spun off pc group could decide to keep producing tablets and phones? Or is it someone different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Casey View Post
    I know this extremely optimistic, but what if someone sees the feeding frenzy around TP and now the Pre 3, and decides to produce this hardware going forward. Isn't it possible that the soon to be spun off pc group could decide to keep producing tablets and phones? Or is it someone different?
    IMHO Leo wouldn't let this happen even in the spun off PSG. It would highlight what a dufass he really is.
    jemojc likes this.
    I don't think so. We'd only see anymore webOS if HTC decides to use it or HP decides it was a big mistake but that's only like a 1% chance.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I just dont get why they would box these up and not offer them up (ATT even) when there IS demand for them?
    If HP decides to firesale them or sell them of contract on HP's website, I hope they are mindful enough to set aside some for Developers. It would be crazy if all the Pre 3's get gobbled up like the firesale TouchPads and dev's don't have a device to test their apps on.
    Agreed. Especially when I can't get a working emulator for 2.x devices without those VM's thinking they're touchpads and running 3.x icons and UI