Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By robinreliant
  1.    #1  
    So sat in a pub in bristol (England) tonight, my pre flips out of my fleece pocket into a container of water that had been left out for dogs oh f** I think to myself trying to carry on the conversation I was having without letting on how gutted I felt, played it very cool and said "don't worry it will be fine"
    Lo and behold the bloody thing shook it off like nothing had happened....amazing
    You would be advised to immediately remove the battery and leave the device in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Otherwise you risk internal corrosion of the circuit boards.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You would be advised to immediately remove the battery and leave the device in a bag of rice for a couple of days. Otherwise you risk internal corrosion of the circuit boards.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,just want to know,how does rice prevent the internal corrosion?

Thanks so much,learn something unique and useful today.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The rice soaks up any excess water.

I did this with my wifes iPhone (2 days old) I put it into a sealable plastic bag with rice and left it on top of a warm radiator for a weekend. Even though the lcd was completely screwed, after the weekend the phone was as good as new.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    If you do leave it on a radiator as mentioned above, make sure it's warm, not hot; too much heat can warp plastics, melt solder, etc. screwing your phone up even more.
  6.    #6  
    Well thanks for your input folks, much appreciated.

Seems I got away with it though everything is working fine, not bad for a phone that was fully submerged for 3 or 4 seconds.
    Could have been far worse and kind of a credit to palm.....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  7. i3
    Quote Originally Posted by rick1963 View Post
    oh f** I think to myself trying to carry on the conversation I was having without letting on how gutted I felt, played it very cool and said "don't worry it will be fine"
    haahahha classic!!!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha you need to test this in a swimming pool next.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick1963 View Post
    Well thanks for your input folks, much appreciated.

Seems I got away with it though everything is working fine, not bad for a phone that was fully submerged for 3 or 4 seconds.
    Could have been far worse and kind of a credit to palm.....
    The rice bag treatment is not just a matter of fixing what's obvious currently, it's more about what moisture will do later. If there's any water inside (and there must be to some degree) that can lead to problems later if it's not dealt with properly now.