Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    After the intial playtime with my new device in which I'veflattened the battery at an alarming rate, I decided yesterday to see how the battery would work on a deliberate 'light use' day.

Off charger at 06:30am.
    30 mins browsing, email checking and composing during commute to office (no music, forgot headphones ).
    Half a dozen 2-5 minute email checking / SMS sessions during the day.
    4 1-minute phone calls.
    5 minutes GPS whilst using on Tripadvisor.
    Low battery warning by 7pm, totally flat by 23:30.

This with WiFi and Bluetooth off, but with 3G + Exchange + Gmail enabled.

Quite poor I would say, as it barely coped with my waking hours despite being mostly in standby with little more than an hour's total active time.

Is that typical of what others are getting?
    Last edited by Me2; 09/09/2011 at 05:33 AM.
    I would say that is already acceptable. 3G data > wifi and bluetooth when draining your batts. I'd be happy on any phone as long as I get a good 12hours a day on it.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I wonder if Exchange is inefficient. I get more than a full workday with my Veer but rely on IMAP IDLE for email instead of Exchange. My pre 3 should be here today or Monday so I'll follow-up with my results.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    My Pre3 works just fine after patching. I had it last almost 24hrs with several hours of heavy use.

It'll be tested heavily this weekend with bad GSM/UMTS coverage, minimal wifi and lots of Maps use.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    mine was poor for a day or so, but seems excellent now. Dropping about 1-2% per hour in standby.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Cellular reception is also critical, I'm constantly in a low signal area and it;s acceptable that the battery will drain faster.
  7. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Still seems low to me compared to my other smartphones which can last the same day but with much more usage (but then they have decent 1500mAh batteries).

<rant mode> 11 hours of standby just shows that the battery has been short-changed by the designers being held to ransom by the fashion police over a few grams and millimetres - yet again. Really annoys me when manufacturers do this in 'flagship' phones where the extra cost of a better battery would be irrelevant at their intended price point. (Nokia are notorious for this too). </rant mode>

Are there any apps or patches that allow you to disable background data (or even switch to 2G), when the screen is off? Can see that would be a great help (plenty of such apps for Android, and built into WP7 Mango).
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    When I'm in low 3G areas I force 2G only with mode switcher on my Veer and it help a ton.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Me2. Just give it a day or two. The phone is doing loads in the background sorting out your accounts and synergy. Honestly I've had mine an standby for a full 8hrs and it used about 10%

just this morning when I've been using it fairly heavily it's done 5hrs of charge and still has 75%.

if it's still that poor in a few days it's probably faulty.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Did you install any patches yet?
    You could try this:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...h-pre-3-a.html

Maybe you could try JsTop if it's available for the Pre3. It seemed to improve batterylive on my Veer.
    I think 12 hours is pretty good for a smartphone. I have a Nokia N8 too and that is very frugal on the battery due to Symbian's efficiency and the low clock speed...doing nothing (ie all updates/push email off with fetch every 4 hours) it will last maybe 48 hours. With push on, it will last up to 24 - 32 hours. Basically, a Symbian Nokia really is the benchmark for battery life...and my Pre3 doesn't stack up too badly, given that you would be lucky to find an Android or iPhone to last 24 or even 12 hours. My old Desire HD definitely wouldn't last 12 hours on 3G.

I think it depends on what you do with it...multi tasking, browsing and listening to music I can cane it in about 5 hours, but I went out for dinner the other night (so hardly used my Pre 3, it just sat in my jacket) and it was consuming 1.75% an hour (according to Battery Monitor and backed up by my timings - went out at 7, came back at 11:45, started at 100%, came back with 92%) ...1.75% per hour works out at about 57 hours. The real world means it probably wouldn't actually end up at that but you get the idea.

You should download Battery Monitor from Preware. An average of 7-10% should be about normal (if I am really pushing the Pre it will go up to 25% per hour but with my usgae (putting it down with the screen off in between usage) brings the average down to the figure above.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The first thing, that i did, was changing from 3g to 2g.
    I have three email Accounts, facebook and exchange and with wireless on, i get about 1-2% battery dropping per hour.
    But it depends heavenly were you are. Twice a week i sit in an office, where i have a poor signal quality and than the battery drops 4-8% per hour.
    Thanks to op for posting his battery experience with some details - that helps for comprisons.

Some comments:
    The biggest energy drains (in my experience) are:
    * 3G
    * Screen (brightness)
    * EMail check intervals

3G radio energy drain depends a lot on local reception.

Is the screen on default brightness? Is that the same as on original Pre?
    Original Pre was way too bright by default. Helps outdoors in sunshine - but otherwise is a waste of battery. I reduced the brightness to minimum (without patch) and that's plenty bright enough for most circumstances (I slide it up when in sunshine.

Default EMail check intervals were also way too frequent by default. Sure it's theoretically nice to get EMails every other minute - but not really necessary under most circumstances. Reducing the frequency means less 3G radio use - saves a lot of energy.

You have to have the device running for a few days and after several recharge cycles to get solid infos about how the battery performs in practice.
    At first the battery will drain quickly while you profile, apps and updates gets downloaded and synergy syncs your accounts.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  14. i3
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    My Pre3 works just fine after patching. I had it last almost 24hrs with several hours of heavy use.

It'll be tested heavily this weekend with bad GSM/UMTS coverage, minimal wifi and lots of Maps use.
    what patches are these?
    Also interested to know.
    Its better to be over the hill than buried under it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    After the intial playtime with my new device in which I'veflattened the battery at an alarming rate, I decided yesterday to see how the battery would work on a deliberate 'light use' day.

30 mins browsing, email checking and composing during commute to office (no music, forgot headphones ).
    4 1-minute phone calls.

Quite poor I would say, as it barely coped with my waking hours despite being mostly in standby with little more than an hour's total active time.

Pretty normal with a smartphone.
    3G is draining the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I wonder if Exchange is inefficient. I get more than a full workday with my Veer but rely on IMAP IDLE for email instead of Exchange. My pre 3 should be here today or Monday so I'll follow-up with my results.
    I found on my Pre- after I stopped using exchange (left the company) my battery life more than doubled.

It may not be exchange itself, but the push email, if you switch the email from "as it arrives" to a polling method it may be just as good.
    From 4pm to 12am last night, almost continuous Maps use plus being in a very remote area.

Ended the night with 52%

=D
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post

4 1-minute phone calls.

It takes about 6/7 cycles before the battery lasts a good amount. Also turn off 3g off when not using it and screen brightness down, i get through the day and have 60% left (on a day at college when im not using it a great load)
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Mine seems to be dead/dying outright and i'm scared because no retailer sells them yet. Charged it to 100% around 4AM last night. Took it off the charger and went to bed. Woke up this morning and everything was fine until the phone froze. Did a battery pull and battery (which was at 93% up to that point) suddenly plummeted to 0%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast