Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree2Likes
    Anyone else get unusual extreme battery drain? I used to get this on my Pre- and I left webOS in the end 'cause of it...just before I got my Pre3 I went back to my Pre- and doctored it to 2.1, wiped and reloaded my Gmail accounts and had two happy weeks of acceptable battery performance...and was kicking myself for not working this out before and wasting a year on Android (seriously, the only thing that made me replace my Pre at the time was the 3.5 hour battery life...although in the event of changing I got to use a few useful Android apps, so can't be too bitter about it).

Anyway, same thing happened on my Pre3 a few weeks ago...a wipe and reinstall of Gmail solved it (although in this case possibly a reboot would have sufficed). And this morning, left the house, hadn't even touched my phone, after about an hour I checked it to discover it had gone from 100% to 58%, without doing anything (no apps open). Normally if I don't touch it it gets to about 3.5 - 5% drain per hour so should have been around 95% in this case. Did a reboot and seems to be normal once I charged it up again. Weird.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    So, today is nearly 36 hours over the "dumb Phone" experience with my pre. What I did last night? Took 2 pictures (really needed to) one with Flash, the other without. Deleted one (the flash was to strong) and watched the picture for a while (I will need it later). I have now 66% Battery left, which brings me up to something like 0,94%/Hour on Standby and not using the phone. This will probably be done by tomorrow evenening.

But I think I will stop this test. The first thing is that it is reaylly difficult not to use the phone as it is supposed to. With Internet and sinergy and Sykpe and all. The second thing is that have gotten my newly bought touchstones (Infos here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...some-dont.html) and I need to test them.

Last and most important: Since today morning the phone does not recognize my SIM Card. I will have to switch it off, check the card and switch on again (no option found for "reset SIM card only").

I think that this all will mess up with my "dumb phone" test. But I will try to keep track on it.
    Hello guys,
    I recently got the pre3 and I am pretty new to WebOS stuff. So the first few days was ok but since yesterday the phonee seems pretty hot. Before going to bed the battery was like 80% charged but when I woke up this morning it was a dead flat at 0%. I installed govnah and it says that the cpu load is around 8 and it never goes under 7. I tried to reboot the phone many times but I've got the same cpu load. I don't know what's wrong. Maybe I installed something I shouldn't have.
    What should I do?
    Many thanks
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Contrary to what others are finding my pre 3 battery is easily lasting me a full day as well as well into the next morning after a complete shut down during the night.

I have installed some of the advanced patches as well as muffle logging.

Beyond that I am mostly on 2G and have set my exchange to 15 minute interval and gmail to 30 minutes.

All other services are on including skype and backup. It has been on wi fi most of the last few days though.

14 hours after its full charge its now at 54%

I am more than happy with this as I was expecting terrible battery life. Right now it can last a full working day and most of the next morning. Happy with that

M

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    What do you mean by "skype is on"? Is your status available?
    When I am logged into skype my batter drops quite quickly. On 2G with limited use I easily get through a day though.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L3R4F View Post
    Hello guys,
    I recently got the pre3 and I am pretty new to WebOS stuff. So the first few days was ok but since yesterday the phonee seems pretty hot. Before going to bed the battery was like 80% charged but when I woke up this morning it was a dead flat at 0%. I installed govnah and it says that the cpu load is around 8 and it never goes under 7. I tried to reboot the phone many times but I've got the same cpu load. I don't know what's wrong. Maybe I installed something I shouldn't have.
    What should I do?
    Many thanks
    did you install homebrew? If so, what did you install? Have you done a reboot?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    got mine yesterday

charged it overnight

woke up late at midday and took it off charge
    used it a few times to text and call and searched facebook and twitter for about half an hour throughout the day
    3G, wifi and bluetooth on all day, connected to my touchpad when i was at home

at 1.45am its at 22% which is better than my LG optimus 3d which would have been dead!

promising!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    What do you mean by "skype is on"? Is your status available?
    When I am logged into skype my batter drops quite quickly. On 2G with limited use I easily get through a day though.
    Skype status is available and I can receive calls and chat messages from friends on Skype. Does not seem to have any significant effect on the battery

M
    Quote Originally Posted by mmalamos View Post
    Skype status is available and I can receive calls and chat messages from friends on Skype. Does not seem to have any significant effect on the battery

M
    I have skype, 2 push emails, gtalk signed in. After 10 hours I have 46% left.

10 min web
    10 mins flash video
    Received 15 emails
    Used gtalk for 30 mins
    30 mins phone call
    30 mins just playing with the phone.

Skype and gtalk had no impact on battery at all for me, I tested with and without it.

My advice after some experiments: don't go crazy with patches from preware Just use the tested and proven ones. Also don't forget to set logging to minimal from webos not preware ,it made a huge difference in performance and battery life

Last edited by mbasrawi; 09/16/2011 at 10:04 PM.
    If someone is interested, without any radio/connectivity ("dumb phone") the battery last until sunday 23:00, something lilke 96 Hours on Stand-by, with some few phone calls and pictures on the weekend. Thats not bad! For a 15 year old dumb phone! My Motorola K1 lasts nearly 2 weeks on standby when it was new (currently, after 5 years, only 3 to 4 days - the Same as my pre 3!). I think that HP/Whoelse wants to make WebOS phones needs to increase this, really.
    Hello people, me got problems with batterylife too.
    As I already read stuff about this battery drain problem, I switched off wifi bluetooth and put 3g to 2g. No skype activated, no emailaccounts activated.
    Put 2 patches: muffle logging and adblocker.
    Nevertheless, battery is draiing really really fast without use!! (around 10% per hour doing nothing)
    This night at 1 am I put my pre3 to Flightmode and as mentioned, everything else is OFF).
    Battery at 1 am: 38%. Got woken up at 4 am, with my cellular warning to shut down cauz of low battery!

So, I am not used to this, and I am very unhappy because of this.

I have to mention that I am in an area with very poor singal quality, and my Pre3 is doin a lot of "Searching network". But this cant explain the battery drain during night in Flightmode. Sooo, my question: What the heck am I doin wrong?
    Well, second day, much better, battery working perfect.

Seems to be a little bug that you are forced to do one complete drop down to 0% and a full charge for the battery to work as it should.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456