Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    After installing a bunch of stuff from Preware, various homebrew apps and patches, my cpu was pegged and draining the battery like there was no tomorrow.

I think I'm going to have to bring it back down to stock and be a bit more selective on what I install. Do I do this with webOS Doctor?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Yes. You can get the webOS doctor from your palm login or from webosinternals (donate!). I had to do this too. I've installed quite a bit of homebrew again with no issues, but avoided my very favorites (advanced menus/mode switcher - donate!) as these were seeming to be the problem.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  3. i3
    what exactly is mode switcher? what benefits will i get from it?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Mode switcher combined with sconix's advanced menus allows you to define different modes and then quickly switch between them. For example I have a "Car" mode that turns bluetooth on and data off so I'm not tempted to check email when I hear it arrive. I have a "Max Bat" mode that disables everything (wifi, gps, data, bt) except voice and a "No Worries" mode that enables everything, etc.

Switching modes is a drop-down->mode->enable.

What's more if you have additional patches you can further refine the modes or have them automatically switch under different circumstances, timers or battery states. I highly recommend you read sconix's wiki on his stuff.

Thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...menus-2-x.html

And donate!
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  5. xpl
    Hi!

Im actually getting a full day of use out of it.
    I also had similar problems (twice a day loading). Wi-fi is only turned on when needed, GPS is allways off (increased battery duration a lot!). Today, 8:00 PM untill 15:00: less than 34% left, will be charged soon (USB). I wonder if when my Touchstones arrive if it will be better?
  7. xpl
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    I also had similar problems (twice a day loading). Wi-fi is only turned on when needed, GPS is allways off (increased battery duration a lot!). Today, 8:00 PM untill 15:00: less than 34% left, will be charged soon (USB). I wonder if when my Touchstones arrive if it will be better?
    What screen brightness do you use?
    My battery life got way better. Yesterday, took it off at 8 am and at 11 pm, still had 54%. I was doing the same things that I had been doing when I needed to charge twice. Those patches do owrk (plus the battery probably set in)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    My battery life got way better. Yesterday, took it off at 8 am and at 11 pm, still had 54%. I was doing the same things that I had been doing when I needed to charge twice. Those patches do owrk (plus the battery probably set in)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    thats bloody brilliant, i have had 2 charge cycles till now and battery is only lasting for 14-15 hours
    Quote Originally Posted by kamran9558 View Post
    thats bloody brilliant, i have had 2 charge cycles till now and battery is only lasting for 14-15 hours
    14-15 hours is really good for a smartphone. What kind of usage?
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Mode switcher combined with sconix's advanced menus allows you to define different modes and then quickly switch between them. For example I have a "Car" mode that turns bluetooth on and data off so I'm not tempted to check email when I hear it arrive. I have a "Max Bat" mode that disables everything (wifi, gps, data, bt) except voice and a "No Worries" mode that enables everything, etc.

Switching modes is a drop-down->mode->enable.

What's more if you have additional patches you can further refine the modes or have them automatically switch under different circumstances, timers or battery states. I highly recommend you read sconix's wiki on his stuff.

Thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...menus-2-x.html

And donate!
    Meanwhile, this is nice. I have been using 'Profiles' on my Treo 680 to switch profiles at preset times. Have been wondering if there would be any equivalent for WebOS. Now I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    14-15 hours is really good for a smartphone. What kind of usage?
    data on all the time, emails and facebook set to update every 2 hrs couple of calls and sms.
    I noticed my CPU was stuck at max clocks again. This time without all the extra menu homebrew enhancements. Doing a complete system restart solved it. Then I installed just the basic menu extras, like battery temp, gps, bluetooth, data, and wifi switches, and working fine. I'll see how it goes for the rest of the day, but now the phone is nice and cool when doing nothing 5 hours so far @ 83% with light use
    Quote Originally Posted by xpl View Post
    What screen brightness do you use?
    I use the lowest possible, also Keyboard is off. And GPS is all the time off. Data is all the time On, most of the Time with a small E on screen (top right) (Edge, I suppose). By the way, what is consuming more battery? Edge or GPRS?
    Last edited by saf69; 09/14/2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    I use the lowest possible, also Keyboard is off. And GPS is all the time off. Data is all the time On, most of the Time with a small E on screen (top right) (Edge, I suppose). By the way, what is consuming more battery? Edge or GPRS?
    technically edge will slightly be more power hungry but very slightly
    Pleased to report that battery life on my Pre 3 has improved SIGNIFICANTLY over the last 2 weeks.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #1 factor in my pre3 battery is whether or not I'm logged into skype...seriously. 2G, 3G it drains like a madman.
    So, yesterday I loaded the battery of my Pre 3 (wall charger is way faster than only USB!) and made a nice experiment: I switched off nearly everything. At the moment, it is a "dumb phone" (oly GSM radio is on, but with no data). Also no patsches at all. From 22:30 until today 10:30 (12 full hours) my battery still has 92%, wich brings me up 0,67%/Hour of standby (one phone call missed and one 15s~20s call).
    In this pace, the battery should last for nearly 2,8 more days. This will be like saturday night (for me). I will try to not go on-line or use data in the following days, so we can see what happens (hope I am not blaming myself with wrong calculations!) :-)

Of course, I did not bought it to be used as a dumb phone, but I think that the results fo this can help me to find out the best load balance between all the possibilities of this marvelous thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    #1 factor in my pre3 battery is whether or not I'm logged into skype...seriously. 2G, 3G it drains like a madman.
    I even expect the impact of Skype on battery life to depend on the number of contacts you have that are on-line.
    Not sure if there is a lot of traffic between inactive yet online Skype peers but looking at the router's firewall logs there are open connections to every contact's computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JobslessElop View Post
    I even expect the impact of Skype on battery life to depend on the number of contacts you have that are on-line.
    Not sure if there is a lot of traffic between inactive yet online Skype peers but looking at the router's firewall logs there are open connections to every contact's computer.
    I suppose that this is how it works, but wouldn't it be easier and better to have only one connection to a server who deploys the information who is on and who's not? Skype does use a lot of memory even on a PC. Perhaps now that MS owns it it will make it better (we can always dream)
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast