Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I currently have a Pre3 for sale on ebay - however as I wanted to test it before selling I inserted a UK Three Sim.

    Will this prevent users in other regions from using it, or from using their regions app catalog?
  2. #2  
    the second, they'll have the UK app catalog
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - is the Catalog different from the US one and would they need a UK Credit Card to use it?

    Would an Australian buyer be able to use an Australian C Card for example?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElasticMan View Post
    I currently have a Pre3 for sale on ebay - however as I wanted to test it before selling I inserted a UK Three Sim.

    Will this prevent users in other regions from using it, or from using their regions app catalog?
    Did you log into a Palm Profile on the device? Or did you test it using #*DEVMODE# ?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #5  
    Won't doctoring fix this?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  6. #6  
    but doesn't a full reset ffix this ?
  7. #7  
    The previous two posters should make themselves aware of threads regarding the permanent geo-restriction of the app catalog which can occur when activating a device.

    -- Rod
  8.    #8  
    I foolishly used a real account..... so I guess I've locked it to the UK Version?
  9. #9  
    yes, but you can use the uk version with quite some european credit cards
  10. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The previous two posters should make themselves aware of threads regarding the permanent geo-restriction of the app catalog which can occur when activating a device.

    -- Rod
    Sorry Rod. Didn't mean to pollute this thread with known info. I had bookmarked the Pre3 Impostah threads for when my pre3 arrives but hadn't yet made time to read them.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  11. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #11  
    Attempting to correct my failure to read first: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-impostah.html
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ElasticMan View Post
    I foolishly used a real account..... so I guess I've locked it to the UK Version?
    Yes. As far as we know, there is only one way to change this:

    1) Get a TouchPad
    2) Doctor the TouchPad and register it on the desired app catalog
    3) Get the phone
    4) Doctor the phone
    5) Log in to the same profile from the TouchPad

    There are reports that this procedure will cause the phone to then have the same app catalog country setting as the TouchPad. I have not been able to verify that myself yet.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #13  
    So this must be a server-side IMEI lock?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  14.    #14  
    Thanks everyone for the help.

    I feel really bad for bidders on ebay. My item is too close to the end and it won't let me cancel or edit the listing. I'll just have to contact the winner as soon as it ends.

    I thought it was a good idea to test it before selling - didn't realise it would cause this problem. Kicking myself!

    TBH it seems crazy - why would HP want to do this?
    What if I moved from the UK to USA and wanted to use the new store?
    People talk about apple's silly rules - but this is madness!
  15. #15  
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how different the UK app store is compared to the US app store?
  16. Jozz's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how different the UK app store is compared to the US app store?
    I believe it has less aps then the US App Catalog, and I think you will need a EU CC to pay for paid apps.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    I believe it has less aps then the US App Catalog, and I think you will need a EU CC to pay for paid apps.
    And you would have to use UK promo codes.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  18. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes. As far as we know, there is only one way to change this:

    1) Get a TouchPad
    2) Doctor the TouchPad and register it on the desired app catalog
    3) Get the phone
    4) Doctor the phone
    5) Log in to the same profile from the TouchPad

    There are reports that this procedure will cause the phone to then have the same app catalog country setting as the TouchPad. I have not been able to verify that myself yet.

    -- Rod
    Well, I got my pre 3 which was purchased for me by someone in the UK and it's locked to the UK app store Do you have a detailed description of this process above? I have a Touchpad. It is meta-doctored (chrooted ubuntu). Do I just do a clean doctor of the pre 3 and log into the profile.

    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Well, I got my pre 3 which was purchased for me by someone in the UK and it's locked to the UK app store Do you have a detailed description of this process above?
    The post above *is* the detailed description.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The post above *is* the detailed description.

    -- Rod
    Thanks. Didn't know if I needed to meta-doctor with a changed Makefile, etc. and didn't know if my meta-doctored TP met the criteria above or not (still really don't).
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions