Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Okay. TopTongueBarry, I'm done for the day. I have a ton of math homework and I need to go activate this phone. I'll see you tomorrow and we can start doing this! k?
    So I was able to copy the Veer's att nav package to my Pre3, it loads, no errors though I declined the end user agreement because I think it might automatically add navigation to my account(I think there is a grace period)

I can provide you with the tarball, but if you have a veer here are the simple instructions I followed to do it (warning I'm a linux expert been using it for about 15 years so this stuff is second nature to me, may not be to you). Usual disclaimers apply..

On the veer, connect to it with novaterm

run these commands

Code:
    cd /
    tar czvf /media/internal/attnav.tgz -T /usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.telenav.attnavigation.list
    then put your veer in usb mode and copy the attnav.tgz to your computer

then put your pre3 in usb mode and copy the attnav.tgz to your pre3

then bring the pre3 out of usb mode and connect to it in novaterm and run these
    commands:

Code:
    mount / -o remount,rw
    mount /var -o remount,rw
    tar zxvf /media/internal/attnav.tgz
    mount / -o remount,ro
    You won't be able to remount /var as ro because I believe of the /var/log mount
    point. At this point whenever I do this sort of app migration I always reboot the
    device just in case something is cached by the system.

When the system comes up you'll see the att navigator icon

I've done this same process for many other apps in order to share them across my 4 webos phones, I'd much rather have a way to re-create the package (I had a thread about that a while back with no takers), since ipkg I believe is based on debian's package format (debian has a dpkg-repack to reconstruct packages that are installed), but I have not found any tools like that for ipkg, which is surprising to me since I was using ipkg back in 2004 on my sharp Zaurus, it's not a new tool.

put a couple screenshots here

Index of /pre3
    Actually TopTongueBarry, you might be.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    First, I'm a Unix sys admin myself and yes your method may seem to work, but you won't see how the maps look unless you accept the user agreement. They couldn't look better than mine do (crappy - sized to a veer screen on a pre 3 display) and I did a proper ipkg install.

Also, the gps service isn't loaded unless you accept the agreement, so you really don't know if your method works or not, do you?

Second, why not take the AT&T Telnav ipk out of the Veer doctor and do a root ipkg installation. Why go through all the things you went through when a root installation means getting the ipk from the veer doctor copied to the root of your Pre 3, , then simply running:

ipkg -force-depends install /com.telenav.attnavigation_x.x.x-xx_armv7.ipk

You method seems like a whole lot more work, and it messes up the EPR process too.

Re: creating an ipk package see:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2318385

It's been around the webOS community for a long time.

I really hate it when people who do know linux come around here giving bad or untested instructions to our members assuming just because it applies to Linux it will apply to webOS. AUPT and the EPR recovery process are of huge importance to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    So I was able to copy the Veer's att nav package to my Pre3, it loads, no errors though I declined the end user agreement because I think it might automatically add navigation to my account(I think there is a grace period)

I can provide you with the tarball, but if you have a veer here are the simple instructions I followed to do it (warning I'm a linux expert been using it for about 15 years so this stuff is second nature to me, may not be to you). Usual disclaimers apply..

On the veer, connect to it with novaterm

run these commands

Code:
    cd /
    tar czvf /media/internal/attnav.tgz -T /usr/lib/ipkg/info/com.telenav.attnavigation.list
    then put your veer in usb mode and copy the attnav.tgz to your computer

then put your pre3 in usb mode and copy the attnav.tgz to your pre3

then bring the pre3 out of usb mode and connect to it in novaterm and run these
    commands:

Code:
    mount / -o remount,rw
    mount /var -o remount,rw
    tar zxvf /media/internal/attnav.tgz
    mount / -o remount,ro
    You won't be able to remount /var as ro because I believe of the /var/log mount
    point. At this point whenever I do this sort of app migration I always reboot the
    device just in case something is cached by the system.

When the system comes up you'll see the att navigator icon

I've done this same process for many other apps in order to share them across my 4 webos phones, I'd much rather have a way to re-create the package (I had a thread about that a while back with no takers), since ipkg I believe is based on debian's package format (debian has a dpkg-repack to reconstruct packages that are installed), but I have not found any tools like that for ipkg, which is surprising to me since I was using ipkg back in 2004 on my sharp Zaurus, it's not a new tool.

put a couple screenshots here

Index of /pre3
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/09/2011 at 09:00 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    cool will look into the packager thread thanks
    I love you, TopTongueBarry! I got Skype running on my AT&T pre3! Thank you so much!
    I love you, TopTongueBarry! I got Skype running on my AT&T pre3! Thank you so much!
    Ask your friend at HP to send some of his love my way please!

P.S.
    Make sure to delete the skype ipk from the root of your Pre 3 after you are done. Leaving it sit in the root raises the potential some of webOS Internals recovery and diagnostic tools might fail if you need to use them later on (Not to mention webOS OTA updates ... oops I forgot I guess there might not be any sent out for your particular device)
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 09/09/2011 at 09:23 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Hey, now you're trying your best to make be feel bad :P haha
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    im actually thinking i am better off with a uk pre 3 . at least i have a webOS doctor to fall back on
    If one was to have an AT&T Pre 3, one would immediately change it's tokens to make it a EU Pre 3 and doctor it so that you know you are starting from a reproducible base.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If one was to have an AT&T Pre 3, one would immediately change it's tokens to make it a EU Pre 3 and doctor it so that you know you are starting from a reproducible base.

-- Rod
    I would love to know how to do exactly that. I have asked my "gifter" about a doctor, otherwise this is the course of action
    Note that any patches released for the Pre 3 will also be based on the EU doctor.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that any patches released for the Pre 3 will also be based on the EU doctor.

-- Rod
    Rod, explain to be in simple terms why I would benefit by turning my Pre3 into EU Pre3. The latest apps on the App Catalog are the same as the ones on the EU Pre3 (QuickPost being the latest), I'm pretty satisfied with the current version and I have requested the doctor from my source. Is there any other reason? I don't really understand this "internal" stuff, so any help is great!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Rod, could you please explain to me in simple terms...
    There you go, fixed it right up for you!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Since the AT&T doctor is now available, my previous post in this thread is no longer relevant.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    LCGuy likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12