Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    After becoming a proud owner of Pre3 for a few days I noticed the screen becomes a little loose when slide open, i.e. The screen could rock for ~1mm when pressed on the gesture area and the front facing camera. I fear my phone is a defect so I post here to ask if other users have the same experience as I do. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by erichousetkc; 09/08/2011 at 03:48 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Can anyone confirm this is normal?
    If you mean you can feel a very slight movement with it open when you press on the screen (so the bottom of the screen is moving down on to the top of the keyboard) then yes I have the same, not very noticeable, thing.

No oreo effect though.
    deewalker likes this.
    Yes, a experience a small movement similar to that described, but I think that's inevitable with a slider that size. Certainly it's nothing like the oreo effect seen on many original Pres. Really nothing to worry about.
    Mine is very solid when pressing on the bottom of the screen (zero spring). I have a very slight (almost non-existent) wiggle from side to side, but only if I try to push it that way.
    My Pre 2 has more spring when pressing from the top, but I never noticed it before this test....and it's not much. My Pre 2 wiggle from side to side is also slight, but is more than the Pre 3. My Pre 3 is pretty much rock solid, I am very impressed.
    Mine has a noticeable wobble when pressing on the screen / gesture are even with the slider closed - and it's getting worse

Anyone else have that? I think I way be contactin HP...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartbritt View Post
    Mine has a noticeable wobble when pressing on the screen / gesture are even with the slider closed - and it's getting worse

Anyone else have that? I think I way be contactin HP...

Do u mind taking a picture on that? I might want to call for a replacement too.
    Mine has the problem, it rocks when the keyboard's open. Very annoying, my Pre2 is solid when open.
    youve only had them for a few days guys, lets see how they hold up after a month
    No way it should rock/tap when you touch the screen with keyboard open. Mine's going back...bye Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    No way it should rock/tap when you touch the screen with keyboard open. Mine's going back...bye Pre3
    Its a matter of opinion. Mine has a slight tap, but it seems a bit drastic to send the phone back for it. At the end of the day, its a mechanical slide connection. There will be some play. I do think pulling off the backplate without real care does cause this to loosen though.

Besides, good luck getting a replacement if you send it back... all the stock is in user's hands.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    Its a matter of opinion. Mine has a slight tap, but it seems a bit drastic to send the phone back for it. At the end of the day, its a mechanical slide connection. There will be some play. I do think pulling off the backplate without real care does cause this to loosen though.

Besides, good luck getting a replacement if you send it back... all the stock is in user's hands.
    Can you quantify the amount of tap on your phone? Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by erichousetkc View Post
    Can you quantify the amount of tap on your phone? Thank you.
    okay with the slider closed, if you tap the top and bottom of the screen alternately, you can >just< feel a slight tap.

When I open the slider normally, there seems very little or no play when using it. However, you can then wiggle it by pushing the top of the screen down and the bottom up or visa versa. Having wiggled it like this, (and only once you've done it) every time you tap the gesture area, you feel the screen tap. Since I'm holding the phone naturally, at say 45 degrees, the gesture area will continue to tap, due to gravity.

Its not a problem, I don't notice it, but if you really pick at it, you notice the play.

This will be the same for any phone with a slider mechanism. If it bugs you, buy an iphone.
    Once slider open mine would tap at the bottom purely by gravity when held at 45 degrees, didn't need to tap it at the top first.
    The more you think about it, the "looser" it gets
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    I have the same issue bought from mobiles.co.uk im getting a replacement. Annoying tapping/clicking noise when slider is closed and l am tapping on the screen. At the top if the handset u can see a gap of about 2 mm where the slider has come loose and doesnt slot back into place to close the gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulight69 View Post
    I have the same issue bought from mobiles.co.uk im getting a replacement. Annoying tapping/clicking noise when slider is closed and l am tapping on the screen. At the top if the handset u can see a gap of about 2 mm where the slider has come loose and doesnt slot back into place to close the gap.
    do you actually mean 2mm or do you really mean 0.5? 2mm is huge.
    The pre3 taps a tiny bit. I don't think that implies a defect, they are all like that.

I really enjoy mine. Mechanism is superior to my old pre-

As one said, you can't avoid a little movement. I think it's to absorb pressure.
    And I thought I was anal...

Seriously though, the mechanism can't be flawless (unless you want to pay premium dollar). My Pre 2 has a small bit of wobble, and it even has a slight creaking noise from time to time when I'm using it while closed. Does it bother me? A little bit, but its nothing I can't live with. This is coming from a guy that cleans the entire phone daily with screen cleaner and a cotton cloth.
    Soorma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    This is coming from a guy that cleans the entire phone daily with screen cleaner and a cotton cloth.
    Haha I do that too.
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast