Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Lol thats dedication!!! Yes i do mean 2mm. Ok maybe its 1mm. But it is very noticeable and wasnt there before. Only had the the phone 4 days!!!! The phone rocks up and down, when u press on the screen. Before it was flat and solid. So it makes this annohing click/tap/ wobble noise. With the gap dirt and dust will get in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulight69 View Post
    Lol thats dedication!!! Yes i do mean 2mm. Ok maybe its 1mm. But it is very noticeable and wasnt there before. Only had the the phone 4 days!!!! The phone rocks up and down, when u press on the screen. Before it was flat and solid. So it makes this annohing click/tap/ wobble noise. With the gap dirt and dust will get in.
    I was convinced that mine had got worse, until I opened another one (I bought 2- what with HP discontinuning webos devices), and found it exactly the same.

One thing though, I'm convinced that taking the backplate off is a potential problem- if you just pull at it without thinking, I think you can loosen the slider, so I press down on the hp logo as I open it up, and then pry it out against the keyboard while open, not by pulling against the screen slider.
    Good advice. Hopefully I will get a new one next week. I'll give it a go when it arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    And I thought I was anal...

Seriously though, the mechanism can't be flawless (unless you want to pay premium dollar). My Pre 2 has a small bit of wobble, and it even has a slight creaking noise from time to time when I'm using it while closed. Does it bother me? A little bit, but its nothing I can't live with. This is coming from a guy that cleans the entire phone daily with screen cleaner and a cotton cloth.
    My Pre2 (which has been knocked about quite a bit) is solid. Yes you can rock it slightly left right but vertically it's as snug as a bug.

The Pre3 just felt wrong. Now whether that's a production or design fault I don't know but I wasn't prepared to use a phone like that. Has gone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    The more you think about it, the "looser" it gets
    Hey, that's what she said !
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    JLegacy and Soorma like this.
    Mine had both the vertical rocking when open and a slight click/gap between halves when closed. Last night I was taking off the battery cover to see if anything could be done when I dropped it keyboard-first (slider open) onto a hard floor, only to find it completely undamaged and that the gap/click while closed was totally gone!

Not a clue how it happened, but I <3 my Pre 3 perhaps the battery cover being put on incorrectly could be a cause?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Mine had both the vertical rocking when open and a slight click/gap between halves when closed. Last night I was taking off the battery cover to see if anything could be done when I dropped it keyboard-first (slider open) onto a hard floor, only to find it completely undamaged and that the gap/click while closed was totally gone!

Not a clue how it happened, but I <3 my Pre 3 perhaps the battery cover being put on incorrectly could be a cause?
    Interesting as mine started after I dropped it with the slider open. Sounds like something can be knock "right" again. Like amnesia in a cartoon
    got a new replacemnt today. Seems like there's only a few left now. Slider is firm and closes tightly. No obvious gap. Scared to use it now!!! Who has got a case for it? What are you guys using?
    Our both Pre 3 have this problem too! Annoying, really, but I supose we need to live with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
    Our both Pre 3 have this problem too! Annoying, really, but I supose we need to live with that...
    maybe this is a bad batch.

maybe we should collect more info about people that have this issue. what pre3 model you have , or maybe the batch code?
    Hi, is there any solution to this already? some screws that could be tighten maybe?
    brum likes this.
    Tally up one more for the loose slider. It bugs the heck out of me.

I did a complete dissasembly but didn't feel comfortable bending/altering anything once I was in there. Anybody who finds a seamless solution (hoping here) should share
    Seriously, you clean it DAILY? I presume you don't use it too much, I need to clean it couple of times a day, because the screen is getting so bad, to the point of worse responsiveness. But I think that oleophobic screen protector will sort me out in this regard.

As for a slider mechanism - mine is the same (feeling of a loose, clicking screen when tapping on closed screen, and absolutely crappy effect of vibration, when it is closed & on the touchstone - like nest of wasps in a tin cup - that's just embarrasing ), screen wobble of approx. 1.5mm when opened, back-front direction.

And NOT all Pre3 are the same, there's another thread where ppl are comparing loose ones with solid as a rock ones, so in all probability it is a discrepancy in manufacturing process/Quality Assurance flaw. To me- it is all about the feeling and perception of a quality, or lack of it, and in this case, it is the lack of it. Which anyone shouldn't be too surprised with - these phones are manufactured by peolple, busy as usuall, and their managers were probably telling them the same: "just assemble as many of them and as quickly as you can, so we can ship them to HP and be over with it, they are caning the whole thing anyway." Check this one out:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...my-screen.html

Luckily, if you are daring enough, or maybe have some reliable phone service shop around, or some skilled & adventurous clocksmith in your area, it seems that it should be reasonably straightforward to adjust/tighten the mechanism - have a look at the Pre 3 teardown pictures, and you will see what I mean. These slides look like they should be easily adjustable, once you get to them, and certainly, they look sturdy enough to warrant no wobbles after adjusted properly.

regards,
    I can't access the webOSinternals flickr page at work, but I did manage to find HP's disassembly instructions - it may or may not be of use, looks like they compressed the photos quite hard in the PDF.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitiz...1178234125.pdf
    Mine rocks back and forth at the base when the phone is slid open. It does not rock when the phone is closed. I figure it's because of the size of the phone itself (or just my inability to get the back cover off the first time). I have to say I'm really impressed with the Veer. That is one solid sliding mechanism.

At least it doesn't rock side-to-side like my original Spring Palm Pre. Every day I feared it would just oreo off the slider.
    glad I dont have to start a new thread for this. this is kind of annoying.

when opened mine "clicks" when hitting the gesture area, rocks back and forth AND side to side. (about the same distance) when closed it feels solid. sort of cheapens the experience. is there a fix for this?
    so still no remedy for it?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    Mine rocks back and forth at the base when the phone is slid open. It does not rock when the phone is closed.
    Same here.

The WebOS Internals breakdown photos on Flickr are here:
    Pre 3 Disassembly - a set on Flickr

However they don't show the slider mechanism. Neither does the HP document posted earlier. I don't know that I am willing to open this thing around and go randomly tightening things without knowing what I'm going into.
    My AT&T Pre 3 does the same thing, and when it is closed, has some Oreo effect to it. I will be disassembling it this afternoon; will report back!
    I posted a solution thread under Pre 3. I cured mine with duct tape and a T5 Torx screw driver, and steady hands! The slider mechanism just hangs out too far on this Rev A models, and it just needed some height to be built up so when its extended, it has something to rest on.
    Last edited by sir_osis_of_liver2002; 11/06/2011 at 06:21 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast