Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    for 2 years or so I have used my Pre- knowing that I wouldn't be apart of the paid app world. Whilst this is no big deal, it left me (and a few others I suspect), with a feeling of exclusion without a good reason. There are Homebrew workarounds that I have considered but given it isn't that important I chose not to bother.

So, now that Paid apps are available in Australia I expected this to be automatically showing at least on my Touchpad, which is a genuine Australian purchased product - not imported, not as such. My new Pre3 also of course showed now Paid apps.

2 calls to the help desk and after doing full erases on both devices (standard reset theory for troubleshooting) no paid apps, until...I told them that I think my location was incorrectly setup in my profile. Aston from Hyderababd (I know this because when he called back the location showed on my display), checked, and yes my location in the profile was recorded as Hong Kong, the home of Expansys where I bought the original phone, albeit at their '.au' website. He reluctantly, but very helpfully escalated it to a higher level to have my location changed to Australia.

So now, I have paid apps showing in Pre 3 and my Touchpad. I haven't bought any yet, so I'll report back any issues, but in short the location and you can't see this from your location has to be Australia to get paid apps.

BTW, there are only 34 paid apps showing, so I guess I haven't achieved much.
    I have my Pre 2 on the Australian app catalog. I also had my TouchPad on it as well. We have some paid apps....but not all. I just got a Pre 3 and decided to activate it on the US app catalog instead to get more paid apps. So, I have now done this and moved my TouchPad to the same profile.
    So here is what I noticed....The Pre 3 on the US app catalog has more apps than the Pre 2 on the AU app catalog, but I must say that I think I would have been o.k on the AU app catalog with the Pre 3 since the main apps that I wanted were available anyway.

There seems to be a fewer difference in number of apps for the TouchPad...meaning that the Australian app catalog doesn't seem to have many less than the US app catalog....but there are a lot more apps on the US app catalog for the phone than there are in the AU app catalog.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jodihansen View Post
    I have my Pre 2 on the Australian app catalog. I also had my TouchPad on it as well. We have some paid apps....but not all. I just got a Pre 3 and decided to activate it on the US app catalog instead to get more paid apps. So, I have now done this and moved my TouchPad to the same profile.
    So here is what I noticed....The Pre 3 on the US app catalog has more apps than the Pre 2 on the AU app catalog, but I must say that I think I would have been o.k on the AU app catalog with the Pre 3 since the main apps that I wanted were available anyway.

There seems to be a fewer difference in number of apps for the TouchPad...meaning that the Australian app catalog doesn't seem to have many less than the US app catalog....but there are a lot more apps on the US app catalog for the phone than there are in the AU app catalog.
    Hey mate,thanks for your info...since I'm still thinking about whether to activate my pre 3 to US or AU app cat...

Do you see these apps on AU app catalog?

1)angry birds,angry birds season
    2)notes by inglorious app
    3)clipboard by inglorious app
    4)bad kitty
    5)facebook
    6)IM+

I think I can live with just these six apps,if they doen't exist in the aus app cat,I force to activate to US app cat and pay 10dollars for the USunlocked card.
    Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    Hey mate,thanks for your info...since I'm still thinking about whether to activate my pre 3 to US or AU app cat...

Do you see these apps on AU app catalog?

1)angry birds,angry birds season
    2)notes by inglorious app
    3)clipboard by inglorious app
    4)bad kitty
    5)facebook
    6)IM+

I think I can live with just these six apps,if they doen't exist in the aus app cat,I force to activate to US app cat and pay 10dollars for the USunlocked card.
    I can now only look in my Pre 2 for the apps since my Pre 3 and TouchPad are now on the US app catalog.
    1) There are only free versions of the 3 Angry Birds games in AU. (They are in the US app catalog on my Pre3 for $1.99 each).
    2) No, Notes is not there. (It is in the US app catalog for $4.99)
    3) No, Clipboard is not there. (It is in the US app catalog for $1.43)
    4) Yes, Bad Kitty is there (currently $1.99) (also $1.99 in US)
    5) Yes, Facebook is there (Free)
    6) Yes, IM+ is there ($3.99) (also $3.99 in US). I also considered getting this one, but think I might opt for MunduIM since it adds MSN and Facebook chat, while IM+ doesn't add Facebook chat. (Mundu IM is not in AU, but is in US for $2.99).

I hope this helps....it seems that we have been getting apps in AU, but very slowly for the phone since I don't think the demand is there. The TouchPad in AU is close to US.....but I think that I am going to forgo the $25 of apps I purchased on it to keep it on the US one so as it is in sync with my Pre 3.

Let me know what you decide.
    Actually, Agile Messenger looks pretty good...more expensive at $9.99 in US (not in AU).
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Actually, Agile Messenger looks pretty good...more expensive at $9.99 in US (not in AU).
    Yea,agile is more expensive,I think IM+ is more suitable and suit the price...before you pruchase,I think you should try the synergy messagin plugin 1st.

Oh ya,Jodi,just want to ask you,you use what card to purchase the app in US catalogue?have you tried USunlocked card?
    Yea,agile is more expensive,I think IM+ is more suitable and suit the price...before you pruchase,I think you should try the synergy messagin plugin 1st.

Oh ya,Jodi,just want to ask you,you use what card to purchase the app in US catalogue?have you tried USunlocked card?
    Yes, I have registered for usunlocked. I have a verified account. That didn't take long. I had to scan a couple of documents and upload them. I was verfied the next day, but I didn't transfer money straight away since I wanted to ensure that the activation worked first. I transferred the money last night when I activated my Pre 3....I didn't realise that it wouldn't be instant though...but then I have done it the way I should have by waiting until I saw US paid apps first. So, I have transferred money now, but it says that it takes 2-4 business days. So far, it has been 1 day. Hopefully the money is processed tomorrow and I can buy apps on the Pre 3. I will then hopefully be able to transfer money into the account before it runs out. I have been told that the credit card number that you use changes each time you add funds though....so will need to also work that out when the time comes. I know others manage to do it though. I wonder if it just rejects the current card and then asks you to add a new one.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Yes, I have registered for usunlocked. I have a verified account. That didn't take long. I had to scan a couple of documents and upload them. I was verfied the next day, but I didn't transfer money straight away since I wanted to ensure that the activation worked first. I transferred the money last night when I activated my Pre 3....I didn't realise that it wouldn't be instant though...but then I have done it the way I should have by waiting until I saw US paid apps first. So, I have transferred money now, but it says that it takes 2-4 business days. So far, it has been 1 day. Hopefully the money is processed tomorrow and I can buy apps on the Pre 3. I will then hopefully be able to transfer money into the account before it runs out. I have been told that the credit card number that you use changes each time you add funds though....so will need to also work that out when the time comes. I know others manage to do it though. I wonder if it just rejects the current card and then asks you to add a new one.
    Hi jodi,Thanks so much...I think I'll do the same as you,activate my pre 3 to US app cat and use US unlocked card,actualy I have registered the account few days ago.But not sure it's worth or not to pay $10 to get the card,so I think now it's good to get that card.

However,one part I don't really understand is that do you everytime we add fund to the card the card number will keep changing?and we have to add a new card to the app cat everytime after we add fund?

Thanks again,one last question,we can add the credit number anytime we want and how many card we want to add is up to us?If it's like that,I think it is safe for me to activate my pre 3 once I got it.then,I will buy the usunlocked card.
    I have not confirmed that the number changes every time I add funds, it's just what I heard. You can change the card details as often as you wish. The setting is in the top left menu in the app catalog app.
    I have to say though, that I couldn't get a purchase to go through on the paid US app catalog for some reason. So I ended up moving my TouchPad back to the AU app catalog & then moved the Pre 3 over as well. I was then able to buy apps again. So I am unsure what the issue is. It could be my activation, but it did seem to work ok & I could see US apps. Anyway, I find the AU app catalog now has the main apps that I want anyway & more are added each week day, so it's fun to see them trickle in.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Jodi, are you saying the US unlocked card didn't work for you then? I'm still tossing up on this question myself, did buy a Visa gift card in Canada to send to family over there but the bank I bought it from got back to me today saying sorry we can't accept payment from an Australian credit card. US unlocked was my next option.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Jodi, are you saying the US unlocked card didn't work for you then? I'm still tossing up on this question myself, did buy a Visa gift card in Canada to send to family over there but the bank I bought it from got back to me today saying sorry we can't accept payment from an Australian credit card. US unlocked was my next option.
    Yea,jodi,does it works for you?if it doesn't,then it gonna be a disaster for me...just got my pre 3 and activated it to US app cat.If it doesn't works...then I'll stuck with free apps forever.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I stand to be corrected but I don't think the Pre 3 and Veer are as touchy on the first activation being hard-coded into the phone for perpetuity as the earlier devices apparently were. I got my Pre 3 today and logged in to my AU webOS account (set up on my TP) and got the AU app catalog. Later did a erase and reset and changed to my US webOS account (set up on my other TP) and can see all the US apps. This was my experience with my Veer too, and both Touchpads.

As such you should be able to switch to an AU profile after a wipe and restart.

Greg
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I stand to be corrected but I don't think the Pre 3 and Veer are as touchy on the first activation being hard-coded into the phone for perpetuity as the earlier devices apparently were. I got my Pre 3 today and logged in to my AU webOS account (set up on my TP) and got the AU app catalog. Later did a erase and reset and changed to my US webOS account (set up on my other TP) and can see all the US apps. This was my experience with my Veer too, and both Touchpads.

Greg
    I only have 1 account currently,does it means that I have wipe and erase my device...and activate using impostah again and create a new account?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can only have one webOS account on a device so yes you would need to wipe out and start again with a new webOS account. I've got a collection of webOS devices all in minimal states of customisation hence my keenness to find out if the USunlocked method works!

If you like your current webOS account email address I think you can probably change it now, then wipe your device and set up a new US based account using your original email account. But probably safest to use a new email address just in case.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure you can only have one webOS account on a device so yes you would need to wipe out and start again with a new webOS account. I've got a collection of webOS devices all in minimal states of customisation hence my keenness to find out if the USunlocked method works!

If you like your current webOS account email address I think you can probably change it now, then wipe your device and set up a new US based account using your original email account. But probably safest to use a new email address just in case.
    hey mate,just to let you know...my current account is unlocked to US app cat,but now no one can confirm that usunlocked card is works on the app cat.Therefore,I don't want pay the 10dollars just to get the card which is not neccessary.

Therefore,if possible,i might create a new account with australia app cat...so,I can just use my credit card to buy apps...need bad kitty and IM+ badly...since synergy plug-in is not working on pre 3...
    hey mate,just to let you know...my current account is unlocked to US app cat,but now no one can confirm that usunlocked card is works on the app cat....
    I was using usunlocked, but now all of a sudden, it is not working? My credit has dropped below $50, not sure if this is a problem?

Have tried re-entering the details, not accepting the changes offered, accepting the changes offered, and just changing the zip code to the 9 digit one? No luck?

Also when you recharge, they definitely do give you a new card number, but last time I did this it worked fine. Just takes a day or so.

Don't you wish HP just accepted paypal?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    I was using usunlocked, but now all of a sudden, it is not working? My credit has dropped below $50, not sure if this is a problem?

Have tried re-entering the details, not accepting the changes offered, accepting the changes offered, and just changing the zip code to the 9 digit one? No luck?

Also when you recharge, they definitely do give you a new card number, but last time I did this it worked fine. Just takes a day or so.

Don't you wish HP just accepted paypal?
    thanks for your reply mate..I think will just wipe my device and unlock it to Aus app cat...using a new account...Thanks for telling me and I don't have to burn my money to the usunlocked....
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Greg
    I had to get the call centre to change the original location.

It was set to Hong Kong! Since I originally bought from Expansys. They weren't thrilled to make the change but did it and so that gave me au appstore on my Pre3
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Darned....I have been locked to the US app cat....I tried to wipe all the data,and use impostah to activate the device to Australia app cat,it doesn't works....

Since usunlocked card is not working...dsob,I will be stucked with lots of free apps forever???please help...anyone can help me get simon mall gift card or any other way???
    Darned....I have been locked to the US app cat....I tried to wipe all the data,and use impostah to activate the device to Australia app cat,it doesn't works....
    Are we talking about a touchpad or phone? Pretty sure if you Dr a touchpad, you can change app cat.

That said, I activated a Veer using impostah yesterday with US account, checked that I could download an app, all worked, then Dr'd it and logged in to an old profile that was on the spanish app cat, and ended up with the English app cat?????

I Dr'd again, and logged on to MY US ACCOUNT, and ended up with the US account, and this was on the Veer.

I have a ticket in with usunlocked, mentioned you guys, hopefully we will get a reply.

With the iTunes accounts you need over $60 I think? When you first submit the card, and they suggest using a vpn service?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast