Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natepre509
  1.    #1  
    Wanted to add my old Pre to my account today as well as the new one.

Support told me its 1 Phone and 1 TouchPad only per profile.

Have others had the same?

Thanks

(apologies if you haven't managed to get one yet ...)
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Yes sadly - it sucks having to buy apps multiple times because well I use multiple phones - a Veer, a Pre 2 which will soon be moved over to a Pre 3. I'll also need to re buy apps for my 2 touch pads - miss the Apple system of buy it once it goes everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaten View Post
    Yes sadly - it sucks having to buy apps multiple times because well I use multiple phones - a Veer, a Pre 2 which will soon be moved over to a Pre 3. I'll also need to re buy apps for my 2 touch pads - miss the Apple system of buy it once it goes everywhere.
    while I don't believe you'll get updates and stuff you can copy your apps between devices. e.g. I switch back and forth between a veer and a pre 2 (soon a pre3).

It's not as nice as copying real packages and installing them but in the /mnt/cryptofs/ directory you can basically just copy the files there (I use tar) for backup and extract them on other devices, what I did when I got my veer

1) I backed up the apps on my Pre- a long time ago (Pre- is on it's deathbed)
    2) Booted up the Veer, which then wiped my Pre-
    3) I then got a Pre2 which then wiped out my Veer
    4) I backed up all the apps on my new Pre2
    5) Activated the Veer again and that wiped out my Pre2
    6) Backed up all the apps on my Veer
    7) Activated the Pre2 again which wiped out the veer
    8) Activated the Veer on a new palm profile
    9) Restored my backed up apps to the veer (which only supports a small fraction of the apps that I have on the Pre2)

I plan to do the same with the Pre3 when I get it, app updates are not all that important to me(I really can't think of an update that fixed a problem I was having in an app or a game). I'll probably keep the Pre2 as my main profile phone since it will have the most apps available for it, and as needed copy apps to the other phones if I need to update them. Put the pre3 on another email account/profile.

It certainly would be nice of course to run multiple phones on the same profile.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaten View Post
    I'll also need to re buy apps for my 2 touch pads - miss the Apple system of buy it once it goes everywhere.
    Not true I can confirm I have 2 touchpads on one webos account. Webos 3.0 allows for multiple accounts (thus the ability to have multiple touchpads). Unfortunately the same can't be said about Webos 2.X. You can only have 1 2.X device per account.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Good to know! - Thanks!
    on the phone side you would have to enable one with the bypass utility since it isn't activated with a carrier. After that you can try using the first-use patch and see if you can log in to the same profile... ya never know.
  7.    #7  
    Ok thanks for the clarifications.

Regards
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    1) I backed up the apps on my Pre- a long time ago (Pre- is on it's deathbed)
    2) Booted up the Veer, which then wiped my Pre-
    3) I then got a Pre2 which then wiped out my Veer
    4) I backed up all the apps on my new Pre2
    5) Activated the Veer again and that wiped out my Pre2
    6) Backed up all the apps on my Veer
    7) Activated the Pre2 again which wiped out the veer
    8) Activated the Veer on a new palm profile
    9) Restored my backed up apps to the veer (which only supports a small fraction of the apps that I have on the Pre2)
    My head hurts!
    How did you restore backed up apps on the veer again?
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    My head hurts!
    How did you restore backed up apps on the veer again?
    yes I did so as things stand now

I have 3 palm profile accounts

primary account has a Pre2 and a TP

second account has a veer

third account has a Pre3

second and third accounts are using copies of the apps/games from the primary. I went through the painful process above so I could easier "validate" what apps would work for the different platforms rather than just taking everything from the Pre2 and shoving it on the Veer and Pre3.

The first time I booted the Veer I was not aware of the 1 phone per profile limitation, fortunately my only other WebOS phone was a Pre- which has been in a coma since January and I had already backed up all the apps and data on it. The down side to that process is the Pre- is now basically useless because the physical keyboard doesn't work 99% of the time I can no longer log it into another profile, so it's stuck now that it is wiped (I had a virtual keyboard patch installed on it prior but the virtual keyboard is not functional in the present state for some reason).

There is one game I came across on my Pre3 (I think it's called 'Driver') which does not work for me (graphics all messed up), so far it's the only Pre3 "compatible" app that I have that doesn't work -- I haven't tried them all there are about 70 apps/games on my Pre2/Pre3 and about 40 on the Veer.

The bigger issue for me was not so much apps but managing contacts in a neutral fashion. I didn't want to be dependent upon an external service, I made the mistake of setting the 'default account' on my Pre- to 'exchange' at one company and of course lost all my new contacts once I deleted my exchange account when I left the company.

So for now I installed a patch on my Pre2 which allows me to bundle up all contacts in a single vCard and email them. I have it on my Pre3 as well, I don't anticipate having to "sync" very often (few times a year at best), I'm not even sure how the device will handle importing duplicate contacts will it update existing ones, merge the profiles or what.. I haven't tried that part.

I wish HP would clarify precisely what they mean by winding down "device operations". Is that simply not going to be building designing devices? stopping support? turning off the services (app catalog included) that support the devices? stop providing software updates? So for now I'm preparing for what I would consider is worst case and trying not to rely on anything from them.