Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hase
  • 2 Post By TopTongueBarry
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    The Pre 3 is more curvy, and a bit wobbly on Touchstones 1.0. Anybody out there who can manufacture a ring that would adhere to the Touchstone?

I'm thinking perhaps something metal with a rubberized coating that would (1) magnetically stick to both TS and Pre and (2) physically stabilize the device (as I tend to type on it on the Touchstone).

Or would something like that somehow screw up the induced charge?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    It is a little bit wobbly, but just a tiny little bit. I don't have a TS back for my pre so I can't compare. But I found no problem with pre3 on TS at all. Maybe it's just the comparison makes people think you need something extra to make it 100% fit. But do you really?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Lotsa touchstones out there installed in cars though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Lotsa touchstones out there installed in cars though...
    Hm... that is a valid point...I don't need to do a lot of driving around
    I can confirm this. I have my Touchstone mounted vertically in my car which was never a problem with my Pre+. It never came off. However, the Pre3 just will not stay on due to the curved back. I have therefore placed 4 magnets on the back of the phone to provide a flat surface area where the magnets on the Touchstone connect. This seems to work fine, even if it ruins the back of the phone. I'll add a picture shortly.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    That's a great idea. If you place 4 magnets in a square, it shouldn't even wobble much.

How about if you attach the magnets to the Touchstone instead of the Pre? If you cut a piece of rubber band to make one side slightly elevated, they might contact the back of the Pre more snugly?

I'm going to go see what kind of flat magnets I can find. I have a faulty Touchstone I think I'll dissect.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Here you go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the pre3 owner at this forum modified the inside of the pre3
    he replaced 4 metal plates with 4 small neodym magnets
    HP Pre3 - Besserer Halt auf dem Touchstone - Modifizierung des Deckels [Anleitung]

in english
    Google Translate

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jive Turkey likes this.
    Kudos for the ingenuity, but wouldn't that work adhering the magnets to the touchstone instead of the back of the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Kudos for the ingenuity, but wouldn't that work adhering the magnets to the touchstone instead of the back of the phone?
    I did try it, but the magnets I attached weren't strong enough to clip the phone on. Infact, the magnets are really weak. However, doing it this way provides the greatest hold at the centre point (between the touchstone's magnets and the phone), and provides the grip necessary to stop the phone sliding when it is vertically clipped on.

Also, the magnets I have attached are not two-way magnets. They are stuck on the phone using... well... sticky stuff. The same stuff that makes stickers stick.
    Try neodymium magnets. You may have trouble detaching the Pre

Be careful though. Is it possible to wipe flash memory with magnets, a la destroying mechanical hard drives? Or damage the screen?
    it would be more effective to put stronger magnets in the touchstone... there is a thread around here where a member has been doing that.
    I think that the problem is the curve on the back of the Pre3. No matter how strong the magnets, they never touch the touchstone. The idea behind my solution is to create a flat surface on the back of the Pre3 so that the contact points are where the magnets lie, rather than the centre of the phone.
    I took two of the magnets from a spare Pre + back I had lying around and carefully peeled back the lining from the top two corners only on the inside of my Pre 3 back.

Placed the two magnets right on top of the existing top two magnets, one on each (they are magnets with the plus side up when the Pre 3 back is resting on the table).

I used the same polarity, newly added Pre + magnet plus side up, minus side down and facing the plus side that's facing up on the existing Pre 3 magnets.

A drop of super glue on each of the two corners and the end result is just two minor dimples on the inside of the Pre 3 back when finished.

Solid as a rock, on all my old Touchstones, even in the car when gassing it over huge speed bumps.

Turn the Pre 3 sideways to watch video on the car touchstone and the top camera side of the device doesn't gradually droop anymore either.

TTB

EDIT: there are also two very slightly raised areas on the back of the Pre 3 where the top two magnets are placed now that the device has seen a little use.

Can't feel them to the touch, but they're barely visible when holding the Pre 3 up in certain light. This may also be a reason this method works well. The two barely raised areas help compensate for the curve present on the Pre 3's back.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/12/2011 at 01:56 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    LCGuy and ashi like this.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    ...and then you ran over it with your car? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    ...and then you ran over it with your car? ;-)
    No that was a TouchPad 4G, now a CrushPad 4G!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    anyone think of putting magnets inside the back?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    anyone think of putting magnets inside the back?
    Like in post #8 of this thread?

I just popped off the trim ring on the Touchstone, it holds my Pre3 well enough to drive around. Thinking of grinding the Touchstone down a bit, as it is not as secure as the Pre was, but close.

On my desktop, I left the trim ring on. It's at the point where it holds well enough to stay in place, but lifts up effortlessly. If I take the trim ring off, when I pick up the Pre3 the Touchstone comes with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I took two of the magnets from a spare Pre + back I had lying around and carefully peeled back the lining from the top two corners only on the inside of my Pre 3 back.

Placed the two magnets right on top of the existing top two magnets, one on each (they are magnets with the plus side up when the Pre 3 back is resting on the table).

I used the same polarity, newly added Pre + magnet plus side up, minus side down and facing the plus side that's facing up on the existing Pre 3 magnets.

A drop of super glue on each of the two corners and the end result is just two minor dimples on the inside of the Pre 3 back when finished.

Solid as a rock, on all my old Touchstones, even in the car when gassing it over huge speed bumps.

Turn the Pre 3 sideways to watch video on the car touchstone and the top camera side of the device doesn't gradually droop anymore either.

TTB

EDIT: there are also two very slightly raised areas on the back of the Pre 3 where the top two magnets are placed now that the device has seen a little use.

Can't feel them to the touch, but they're barely visible when holding the Pre 3 up in certain light. This may also be a reason this method works well. The two barely raised areas help compensate for the curve present on the Pre 3's back.
    I'm in the middle of doing this myself

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums