1.    #1  
    Ok, this isn't good...my Pre 3 is doing EXACTLY the same thing my old Pre used to do - it won't charge on the touchstone and just flashes 'charging' in the notification windows as if you are taking it off and on the whole time. I have reset, I have battery pulled, I have played around with the seating of the phone...to no avail.

I've yet to test another touchstone (I am at work right now) but I am terrified...the way I solved my old Pre's problem was to buy a new touchstone back for it...except I CAN'T BUY A NEW BACK FOR PRE 3. I know my Pre3's under warranty but I'm scared I'll end up posting it and never see it again.

Anyone got any ideas?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I think its more likely its the touchstone, particularly as you've had problems with your pre-. The replacement cover prolly just cancelled out the problem a bit ... There have always been reports of people having multiple Touchstones which behave slightly differently.

Is your pre 3 fully charged? Mine does that on off thing when its finished charging, but works fine otherwise.

I know you say you've played with the orientation, but just to be sure, mine only works properly when just right. I slide the phone along the stone, starting from the keypad end, and it just 'hits a barrier' as it reaches the optimum position.

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    I think its more likely its the touchstone, particularly as you've had problems with your pre-. The replacement cover prolly just cancelled out the problem a bit ... There have always been reports of people having multiple Touchstones which behave slightly differently.

Is your pre 3 fully charged? Mine does that on off thing when its finished charging, but works fine otherwise.

I know you say you've played with the orientation, but just to be sure, mine only works properly when just right. I slide the phone along the stone, starting from the keypad end, and it just 'hits a barrier' as it reaches the optimum position.

Yeah, I've tried all that...thanks though. Hopefully it is the touchstone, I have three at home so if none of them work it's going to be pretty conclusive!

hey -

does your pre also get pretty warm when you charge it on the touchstone?? I wonder if that much heat isn't something to avoid with a li-ion battery...

cheers,
    thomas

Many of the original TS had a problem where the induction spool is not in the optimum position.

Somebody on the German Nexave forum figured it out and documented the problem.

There's a workaround - ugly but effective:
    The problem is that the distance between the Pre and the spool is (usually) too close. You can put a few layers of paper in between the TS and the phone - et voila - it works.
    At least it did for many who mentioned this working on the Nexave forum. And it worked for me when my first TS had that problem (I exchanged it for a better one later).

Alternatively - if you are a DIY guy - you could open the TS and fix the spool position.
    I don't remember the title of the thread. You should be able to find it by googling "touchstone ding dong".
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, it might well be the Touchstone in question, I went home and my other Touchstones seemed to be working ok...phew! I'll have a look at the rogue touchstone, thanks a lot for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by mark-dj View Post
    Ok, this isn't good...my Pre 3 is doing EXACTLY the same thing my old Pre used to do - it won't charge on the touchstone and just flashes 'charging' in the notification windows as if you are taking it off and on the whole time. I have reset, I have battery pulled, I have played around with the seating of the phone...to no avail.

I've yet to test another touchstone (I am at work right now) but I am terrified...the way I solved my old Pre's problem was to buy a new touchstone back for it...except I CAN'T BUY A NEW BACK FOR PRE 3. I know my Pre3's under warranty but I'm scared I'll end up posting it and never see it again.

Anyone got any ideas?

My Pre+ and Pre- will do exactly that if you don't have it centered exactly in the "sweet" spot.
    I have owned a few touchstones and some just didn't connect well. What you are describing sounds exactly like my issues. Exchanged them and no problems with the new ones. I am betting it is your touchstone. Get a new one from VZW for $5....
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I had that problem with Pre-. Took back off, and used small tweezers to pull the contacts on the phone up a bit to make better contact with back. Works much better.

Prior the to Pre 3's release there were write ups stating the backs on the Pre 3 were the same as the Pre. If so, could easily try another back? They're easy and cheap to come by, think I have a couple I've never used.
    Definitely not the same backcovers