Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Just kidding - I don't really know.

According to (http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2011/110209xb.html) Your brand new Pre 3 (I'm speaking to the lucky few, anyway) is equipped with a digital compass.

Well, I'm patiently waiting for the geocaching, astronomy, find-your-car and AR apps to rain. Any dev want to make my dreams come true?

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/07/2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: title changed
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    does the compass work ok?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    does the compass work ok?
    Tell me how to test it and i'll give it a go.
    OK, you can test it in the interactive tests from device info. Not very useful, it doesn't give a bearing or anything, it just asks you to turn it 90 and passes the test if it works.
    Try GPS Info. It seams to work on my Pre 3
    so there is no compass app? TP has a 99 c compass app, . 3 years after iPhone had a digital compass, pre-3 doesnot have a compass app?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vito-andolini View Post
    Try GPS Info. It seams to work on my Pre 3
    Isn't that just using GPS heading?

Looks like there's an opportunity for a developer to produce a really quick and dirty compass app. Just checked the documentation and the API is there for a PDK app.
    No it's not only GPS heading. It's updated instantaneously.
    The Bing maps app rotates with the phone even if you are not moving so I guess that is using the compass but, yeah, an actual compass app would be good.

I wonder if the geocaching app compass could be made to work easily, that would be nice. I've not tried my pre3 for geocaching yet...
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Um. I've just loaded Bingmaps and have been waving my Pre3 around, but reaction onscreen. You tryin to pull my leg here?
    Well there's a free Touchpad Compass app that just was released yesterday, I'd think a Pre3 version isn't far behind.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadeer View Post
    No it's not only GPS heading. It's updated instantaneously.
    I confirm! Excellent...perhaps the dev isn't aware? The blurb of his app only says "Now with HP TouchPad compass support".

Karge Software gets a "first!" on this.

Edit: Compass seems a bit wonky though. It only seems to work when the Pre is laid flat, not when it's vertical, like in a car windshield holder. Anyone else getting the same results?
    Last edited by Goyena; 09/07/2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    is the gps of your pre3 working well? Mine seems not to be working that well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Um. I've just loaded Bingmaps and have been waving my Pre3 around, but reaction onscreen. You tryin to pull my leg here?
    Not intentionally, I was playing with it (or maybe another app but I'm pretty sure Bing was the only one I had then) last week and I noticed the map rotating. That's when I realised the Pre3 must have a compass.

Can't seem to get it to do it now though so either the update broke it or I dreamed it. The latter is entirely possible I guess.

There's a very faint chance it was Navit that was doing this but I had to uninstall that to make room for Ndrive which I am beta testing so I can't test that now.
    Hey, I just found GPS Info which has recently added 'touchpad compass support' and, guess what? It works on the Pre3.

It's not the greatest compass (very tiny in the corner of the screen) but it works and points out magnetic north. Oh, and it's free in the app catalogue.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 09/07/2011 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Hey, I just found GPS Info which has recently added 'touchpad compass support' and, guess what? It works on the Pre3.

It's not the greatest compass (very tiny in the corner of the scree) but it works and points out magnetic north. Oh, and it's free in the app catalogue.
    which app did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by miafey View Post
    which app did you use?
    It's called 'GPS Info'
    <<thread title changed>>
    is it possible to have the direction using Bing maps ?