Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #1  
    I can open Google maps on a Pre 3 (by opening to maps.google.com in the browser), but keep getting the error message, Unable to Handle Resource // This protocol is not supported.

    The webapp looks just exactly like the app on the Pre 2 (which I assume actually is webapp), but doesn't get my location (giving me the error above) and doesn't support any touch commands that normally do zoom (pinching and double-tap zooms the browser page, not the map).

    I'm trying to get traffic, as Bing doesn't seem to do France. Any help here? Is it possible to extract the ipk from the 2.1 doctor, and can anyone show me how?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Freztino likes this.
  2. #2  
    I tried doing the reverse (Bing Maps on a Veer), and it didn't end well. The integration is more than an IPK.
  3. #3  
    to me the google maps app on the web works, apart from the zoom, that must be done by clicking on the + - buttons
  4. #4  
    you should search for a german forum with details extraction explanation. it was deleted here on precentral due to copyright problems, which i find kind of ridiculous, cause 90% of the app is webloaded and so open for all. well ok...
  5. #5  
    Hi, I'm currently looking for it as well.

    Any keywords that could help us find the german forum ? Is it in German or in English language ?

    Ich kann ein bischen Deutcsh lesen, aber nur ein wenieg....

    Danke !

    Charly
    Palm TC, T3, T5, TX, Treo680, Centro and HP Pre3
  6. #6  
    There is a mobile optimised (but generic) version of google maps that works on webos but Google servers divert you away from unless you point to a very specific item within it. This is how to get round it:

    Do you have a google account (eg gmail) and "saved places"?

    If not:
    - go to maps.google.com on a PC or mac. Make sure you have a Google account and that you are signed in. If not, create one.
    - Search for and select any location (say, search for a church, restaurant, business, etc) in you local area
    - Click on its icon on the map.
    - Inside the description box that appears, click on "save to map".
    - (You may need to refresh or go out of maps then back in)
    - Now on the top left pane, next to the "get directions", click on "my places", and then you will get "My saved places" below it.
    - RIGHT-click on "my saved places" and choose open in new tab.
    - Go to the new tab, and "hopefully" you will have the full URL. Copy it.
    - Send the full URL you just copied to yourself via email


    - On your Pre3, go to the browser and log into google (this may not be necessary, but be safe and do it). Then back to the email app on the Pre.
    - Open the email and click on the link. You will get a mobile-optimised version of Google maps that does not keep giving you error messages on the Pre3. I am not sure if the location services will work with this, but worth a try. It has an option somewhere to highlight traffic.

    Make sure you bookmark the link. You no longer need to log onto Google to open this link and can put it on your app launcher. Of course when you open it, it will always default to the location you saved, so choose carefully!!
    Last edited by Amohazab; 09/12/2011 at 06:44 AM.
  7. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #7  
    That one was deleted because there is not only a installation guide, but also a guide how to replace the one with the other and keep the other one - which is done by manually manipulating the ipk, and THAT what is permitted by the license. And because it is permitted by the license it is also permitted here. No need to argue about it.
    Anyway, just look for the german translation for "google maps for the pre 3. how?" and you will be happy.
  8. #8  
    ^
    This worked for me, and I don't think that its able to locate my position.
  9. #9  
    @Amohazab : OK. Your description of the process is more detailed compared to what I've read before. It works. Thanks !

    @Shihatsu : OK, found the link, und das auch but the download link was canceled by PreCentral. Kein Glück ! I don't have a Pre2 nor the knowledge to extract packages so I cannot do it this way. Thanks anyway !

    Charly
    Palm TC, T3, T5, TX, Treo680, Centro and HP Pre3
  10. #10  
    @rashad1 : YES !

    Exactly what I need ! THANKS
    Palm TC, T3, T5, TX, Treo680, Centro and HP Pre3
  11. #12  
    Does anyone here know if it is possible to just move an entire directory from one device to another with the corresponding app working? In my case, I have an app that runs on my Pre 2 (still on Airplane mode) and is not available on the Pre 3, probably because the developer is not interested.
  12. Shihatsu's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    If you want Google Maps on your Pre 3, install this:

    the googlemaps.ipk will install it as a separate app, maps.ipk will replace Bing maps.
    sometime i think to myself: how could people write if they obv can NOT READ? srsly, ***? o boy... post reported
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Does anyone here know if it is possible to just move an entire directory from one device to another with the corresponding app working? In my case, I have an app that runs on my Pre 2 (still on Airplane mode) and is not available on the Pre 3, probably because the developer is not interested.
    First thing to do is, ask the developer via mail/forum/twitter to port the app on webos 2.2 (Pre3) and tell him to apply as beta tester.

    Secondly you can do it, but it requires linux knowledge and all documentation is in german: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2906530
  14. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #15  
    Thanks, all, for the help. Sorry to inadvertently have cause trouble, specially when all I had to do apparently was a LMGTFY (ok, in German).

    Gluecklicherweise, spreche ich deutsche! Also, jetzt geht's los!
  15. rashad1's Avatar
    Posts
    520 Posts
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihatsu View Post
    sometime i think to myself: how could people write if they obv can NOT READ? srsly, ***? o boy... post reported
    Google maps is free to use, so I don't see how you are negatively affected by me helping people get the app on their phones. No harm is done.
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    Google maps is free to use, so I don't see how you are negatively affected by me helping people get the app on their phones. No harm is done.
    Free to use does not necessarily mean free to share. If you are in doubt about whether software can be freely shared, please do not post it.
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    There is a mobile optimised (but generic) version of google maps that works on webos but Google servers divert you away from unless you point to a very specific item within it. This is how to get round it:

    Do you have a google account (eg gmail) and "saved places"?

    If not:
    - go to maps.google.com on a PC or mac. Make sure you have a Google account and that you are signed in. If not, create one.
    - Search for and select any location (say, search for a church, restaurant, business, etc) in you local area
    - Click on its icon on the map.
    - Inside the description box that appears, click on "save to map".
    - (You may need to refresh or go out of maps then back in)
    - Now on the top left pane, next to the "get directions", click on "my places", and then you will get "My saved places" below it.
    - RIGHT-click on "my saved places" and choose open in new tab.
    - Go to the new tab, and "hopefully" you will have the full URL. Copy it.
    - Send the full URL you just copied to yourself via email


    - On your Pre3, go to the browser and log into google (this may not be necessary, but be safe and do it). Then back to the email app on the Pre.
    - Open the email and click on the link. You will get a mobile-optimised version of Google maps that does not keep giving you error messages on the Pre3. I am not sure if the location services will work with this, but worth a try. It has an option somewhere to highlight traffic.

    Make sure you bookmark the link. You no longer need to log onto Google to open this link and can put it on your app launcher. Of course when you open it, it will always default to the location you saved, so choose carefully!!

    Is there a way to pan the map?
  18. #19  
    nothing really works, tried everything. just not the right phone for me.
  19. #20  
    So no way to use Google Maps on Pre3? .. Damn Bing maps not showing anything useful in The Netherlands.. Guess have to get an Android on the side.. guess we all have to if we're doiing something on the phone other than calling/texting/browsing. A feature many, many phones also have.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions