Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    How do I get Classic Emulator to run on Pre 3 if at all do able that is?

Is anyone, homebrew or otherwise, working on how to get old palmOS progarms to run on webOS.... if so it would be great, also would be nice to be able to loose the gray buttons and make it full screen!!

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks in advance loving the new Pre 3. if anyone needs help getting one from UK please let me know and I will endeavour to assist esp if you are a dev although I believe it will eventually surface in US anyway..
    The instructions are here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2903004. The instructions are for using the Pre and Pre2 webOS Doctor files. Might not work on a Pre3 due to the screen resolution difference. Unfortunately, I'm in the US with no access to Pre3 hardware. I'll try it on a Veer to see whether there are screen size dependencies.
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 09/05/2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Dan Donovan
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    thanks but would I use the new Pre 3 specific webOS doctor rather than the pre2 webosdoctor??
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    The instructions are here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2903004. The instructions are for using the Pre and Pre2 webOS Doctor files. Might not work on a Pre3 due to the screen resolution difference. Unfortunately, I'm in the US with no access to Pre3 hardware. I'll try it on a Veer to see whether there are screen size dependencies.
    thanks very much, if there is anyway i can help you geta a Pre 3 Let me know... difficulty is that they all come on contract with a quarterly rebate...
    I've gone through the Pre2 v2.0.1 and v2.1.0, Veer v2.1.2 and Pre3 v2.2.0 webOS doctors. Only the Pre2 webOS v2.0.1 doctor file contains the necessary components. They are all specific to Motion Apps (AKA Classic).

webos-internals.org has a Wiki page on where to get the doctor files. HP/Palm explicitly prohibits re-distribution of doctor files or anything containing derivative works.

If you follow Arthur's instructions, you should be able build an ipkg file that can be installed via webOS QuickInstall. I'm doing this on a Windows machine, but might switch to a Linux VM if necessary. I'll post back Veer results here and to Arthur's thread. I'll probably try the package on my Touchpad too, but I'm not sure what value that would have.
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 09/05/2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Dan Donovan
    Seems as if I've hit a dead-end. Got all the bits together, but I never acquired Classic for my Sprint Pre. For some reason, I can't access the App Catalog from the Pre and there is no other way to get the Classic package to use for verification.

Edit: the App Catalog made me a liar. Got Classic now, but of course, I don't have a serial number and the trial version timed out a long time ago. (sigh)
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 09/05/2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Dan Donovan
    Seems as if I've hit a dead-end. Got all the bits together, but I never acquired Classic for my Sprint Pre. For some reason, I can't access the App Catalog from the Pre and there is no other way to get the Classic package to use for verification.

Edit: the App Catalog made me a liar. Got Classic now, but of course, I don't have a serial number and the trial version timed out a long time ago. (sigh)
    Classic on the Pre3 and Touchpad would still be very useful - just importing all my data in its various categories from my TX would make life sweet!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepped View Post
    Classic on the Pre3 and Touchpad would still be very useful - just importing all my data in its various categories from my TX would make life sweet!
    I read it wasn't working on the Pre3 here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3139189

I did manage to get it on the Veer, but I don't have a license, so I think it will expire after a while.
    buncha folks have tried to get classic working on pre3 (myself included) without success. the app launches w/o error but does not function at all
    Could there be a resolution issue? I wonder if there are any files we can patch to get this running, I really want Warfare Inc on my Pre3!
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3