Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  • 1 Post By Fuu
  • 1 Post By addiarmadar
  • 1 Post By azhewu
  1.    #1  
    I'm one of the new Pre3 owners. I decided to transition my Palm Profile from my Pre 2 to my Pre3.

I dunno what happened to cause it, but immediately once my App Catalog apps had restored (and no, I hadn't restored with Save/Restore yet), I noticed easily half my PDK games being affected by a black screen bug. Basically, I would open certain PDK games, and they would turn the screen black and the phone would go unresponsive. In fact, the only way to return the phone to normal was with a battery pull!

The bug affected Glyder 2, Mini Golf: Wacky Worlds, other Glu Mobile games and a few others, including Angry Birds. Gameloft games seemed to all work fine for me.

However, almost accidentally earlier today, I noticed that after I deleted one of the black-screen-games, then reinstalled it, it seemed to work scaled properly. No more black screen issue.

I dunno if that means these games were updated, or if deleting then reinstalling was the cause of the fix. However, as i know I'm not the only person who was experiencing this bug, I thought I should post this PSA to Pre3 owners to delete/reinstall black screen games to fix the issue
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  2. Fuu
    reinstalling Angry Birds works.
    thx for the tip!

still a black bar on both sides, and resolution is really wrong (480x360px game on 800x480px screen).
    kbubk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I'm one of the new Pre3 owners. I decided to transition my Palm Profile from my Pre 2 to my Pre3.

I dunno what happened to cause it, but immediately once my App Catalog apps had restored (and no, I hadn't restored with Save/Restore yet), I noticed easily half my PDK games being affected by a black screen bug. Basically, I would open certain PDK games, and they would turn the screen black and the phone would go unresponsive. In fact, the only way to return the phone to normal was with a battery pull!

The bug affected Glyder 2, Mini Golf: Wacky Worlds, other Glu Mobile games and a few others, including Angry Birds. Gameloft games seemed to all work fine for me.

However, almost accidentally earlier today, I noticed that after I deleted one of the black-screen-games, then reinstalled it, it seemed to work scaled properly. No more black screen issue.

I dunno if that means these games were updated, or if deleting then reinstalling was the cause of the fix. However, as i know I'm not the only person who was experiencing this bug, I thought I should post this PSA to Pre3 owners to delete/reinstall black screen games to fix the issue
    During the first couple days of Pre 3 ownership, I had that black screen problem when I tried to make a call. When you hold the phone to your ear, the screen goes off, and it's supposed to come back on when you remove the phone from your ear.

However I found that, on maybe 3 out of 5 calls, the screen wouldn't come back on after the call, and no combination of buttons would make any difference. I had to do a battery pull to restore functionality.

Then I noticed I still had the plastic screen protector on, but it was peeling off and was a little dusty. I removed it, and one week later haven't had the issue since.

Might be coincidence and is most likely unrelated to your issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    I can confirm the screen protector issue - had to battery pull twice in the 1st day of using my Pre3. Initially thought that it might be a bug with Auto-dim (sure I read something similar on these forums somewhere, but can't find it), but since removing the protector I have not had any issues.

Also, I too was having issues with black screen PDK games (notably angry birds which sometimes just wouldn't load at all). Reinstall seems to have done the trick. Might this then be an issue with profile restoration on the Pre3? Although it would be strange if it was localized to PDK games only.
    Wondering if the same thing from the touchpad is happening on the pre3. Next pdk app that fails this way see if it is missing a metadata.json file via internalz pro see if adding one in fixes the app. Unfortunately I do not have a pre3 so do not know which device ID its supposed to use for that device but could check other working pdk apps for that info.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    geekpeter likes this.
    I am confused. How is the installation of apps during Profile restoration any different from a regular installation?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Wondering if the same thing from the touchpad is happening on the pre3. Next pdk app that fails this way see if it is missing a metadata.json file via internalz pro see if adding one in fixes the app. Unfortunately I do not have a pre3 so do not know which device ID its supposed to use for that device but could check other working pdk apps for that info.
    i tried your fix editing metadata.json on my pre3 to device [101] and my blackscreen apps now function 100% correctly so yeah same issue as the touchpad (fresh installed apps did have the file missing).

when i did install an app fresh on the pre3 from the app catalogue the metadata device entries present IF metadata was created ended up as [102,701] or the file was simply not there at all.

adding in the [101] works bang on.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/05/2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post
    I can confirm the screen protector issue - had to battery pull twice in the 1st day of using my Pre3. Initially thought that it might be a bug with Auto-dim (sure I read something similar on these forums somewhere, but can't find it), but since removing the protector I have not had any issues.

Also, I too was having issues with black screen PDK games (notably angry birds which sometimes just wouldn't load at all). Reinstall seems to have done the trick. Might this then be an issue with profile restoration on the Pre3? Although it would be strange if it was localized to PDK games only.
    arrggh! Don't tell me the auto-dim is still around in 2.2! My pre3 is coming tomorrow mainly because of the auto-dim problem on my pre2! If the problem is the same on the pre3 its going on ebay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuu View Post
    reinstalling Angry Birds works.
    thx for the tip!

still a black bar on both sides, and resolution is really wrong (480x360px game on 800x480px screen).
    Me 2. I copied the meta file to app folder, so get rid of black screen issue. But still back bars on top/bottom....
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickqiu81 View Post
    Me 2. I copied the meta file to app folder, so get rid of black screen issue. But still back bars on top/bottom....
    Unfortunately the black bars are a limitation of the game itself. It's specifically designed for 320x480, which is why the graphics scale poorly, as they're being scaled 1.5x.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Unfortunately the black bars are a limitation of the game itself. It's specifically designed for 320x480, which is why the graphics scale poorly, as they're being scaled 1.5x.
    Yes, those games are designed for 320 x 480. so when lauched on the 480x 800 pre3, they are scaled to 480x 720, which is why there are black bars on up/bottom of pre3.

However, today I found anothe device: Nokia N900 with Maemo System and a 480 x800, same as Pre3 ! such machine can launch a webos emulator, Community SSU, which can run many old apps, such as nfsu, hero of sparta, asphalt 5 in a PERFECT FULL screen Resolution WITHOUT black bar issue!!!!. What the Hell! So a webos game can be launched at TRUE 480x800 ONLY in a NON-webos machine whist not in a real-webos one?? How, Why..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rickqiu81; 09/19/2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Originally Posted by addiarmadar
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i tried your fix editing metadata.json on my pre3 to device [101] and my blackscreen apps now function 100% correctly so yeah same issue as the touchpad (fresh installed apps did have the file missing).

when i did install an app fresh on the pre3 from the app catalogue the metadata device entries present IF metadata was created ended up as [102,701] or the file was simply not there at all.

adding in the [101] works bang on.
    I can't find the Touchpad reference for solution. As this thread is sticky because of its importance, please can someone post a more detailed explanation or at least the link to Touchpad reference? Thanks.
    Spanish translator of Outline Tracker, UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, and other MIA webOS apps. HP Pre 3 and HP TouchPad 64 GB (Espaņol_Espaņa, es_es)
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stickerboy View Post

I had this screen protector problem to all that are having problems with screen going dim and not waking up whilst on a call it is the screen protector. I have a hp veer and i had this problem looks like its the same on pre 3 as well so make a precesion cut where the sensor is on the screen protector and reaply the protector it will be fine then i used a sharp scalp knife job done.
    just to confirm; i think this is the screen protector interfering with the proximity sensor; especially if you leave the original one on and it starts to peel off...

hth
    here the way to get games that not running in landscape mode (worms, dead runner...) or not showing textures properly (dungeon hunter, ...) :

1) install game

2) reboot device

3) copy "metadata.json" in the app directory
    (ex: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.gameloft.app.dungeonhunter)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    mayapi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by azhewu View Post
    here the way to get games that not running in landscape mode (worms, dead runner...) or not showing textures properly (dungeon hunter, ...) :
    [snipped]
    Great. Works whith Mahjong clone Lopan as well. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by azhewu View Post

1) install game

2) reboot device

3) copy "metadata.json" in the app directory
    (ex: /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.gameloft.app.dungeonhunter)
    thanks for your help