• 1 Post By PatBateman
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    So say I want to copy the words "quick brown fox jumped over"

The quick brown fox
    jumped over the lazy
    cow. I love my pre3
    but copy and paste is really ANNOYING.

I place the cursor before the q of "quick" and hold shift, then swipe right.

This MOVES the cursor to the word brown and starts to highlight from there. Keep swiping to the right and it deselects, then starts to reselect every few words. Never actually allowing you to select a complete sentence.

Is there is trick to doing this, or is selection on the pre3 completely broken?
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I just read your post more carefully. Im finding it easy to highlight
    Hold shift, tap on the first word you want to select. Then tap the last word you want while holding shift.
    Yep, although I find the annoying thing is that it is only editable text that copy works properly for. Otherwise its a whole paragraph or nothing. So I have pretext handy always, and dump the paragraph into that, before copying from it

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    True. I must admit that this is one of the very few things iOS has solved in a better fashion
    Follow me on Twitter: @patbateman1612 !
    sorli likes this.
    I've been using webOS since the Pre- and I always had a hard time with copy and paste. iOS does have this one in the bag.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Hold shift, tap on the first word you want to select. Then tap the last word you want while holding shift.
    Well that's great! Cheers.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    So say I want to copy the words "quick brown fox jumped over"

The quick brown fox
    jumped over the lazy
    cow. I love my pre3
    but copy and paste is really ANNOYING.

I place the cursor before the q of "quick" and hold shift, then swipe right.

This MOVES the cursor to the word brown and starts to highlight from there. Keep swiping to the right and it deselects, then starts to reselect every few words. Never actually allowing you to select a complete sentence.

Is there is trick to doing this, or is selection on the pre3 completely broken?
    I was having this problem, then I realised my error - whilst holding the SHIFT key you have to swipe left/right on the screen not the gesture area. Works perfectly for me now.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I've always found it awkward having to hold SHIFT selecting text.

REDMIST - Is it any better on the Touchpad?
    The ability to select words instead of only whole paragraphs is a must. It really needs to be there. The cards view makes it easier to look back and type.. but still.. a patch would be awesome!
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I've always found it awkward having to hold SHIFT selecting text.

REDMIST - Is it any better on the Touchpad?
    Copy and paste is better. But positioning your cursor in the first place is more difficult. Especially if you have fingers like thick sausages like me.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    once you have your first attempt at a selection (usually not the word you want), holding shift and dragging left/right/up/down on the screen, just like you do for cursor movement with the option key, you can expand/contract your selection area one word/line at a time. this is something i just discovered today after reading your first post @RedMist and trying to reproduce your problem. i'm very happy now!

doing this with a left/right drag on the gesture area rather than the screen behaves differently, but it still works. it it hard to explain just try it

agreed, the TP is better with its selection handles, but this is LOADS more usable than my previous "trial and error mashing the screen with the shift button held" approach
    Last edited by gastr; 09/05/2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added the bit about the gesture area
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    Copy and paste is better. But positioning your cursor in the first place is more difficult. Especially if you have fingers like thick sausages like me.
    Hold OPT buttor and drag the cursor using your finger, you don't need to pointed at exact position, just drag everywhere on screen to move the cursor right,left,up,down. After the cursor pointed at position you want to start the select text, HOLD SHIFT button and again use your finger to select the text you want to block. Quite easy.

iOS has better copy paste because they have border and dots at each edge which you can resize it.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Last edited by The Bard; 09/05/2011 at 11:35 AM.