1.    #1  
    I have a shiny new Pre3 and I love it. However, is there any way to use my old Pre- with the same profile? At the moment there are no batteries available for the Pre3 and the Pre- would be good as a backup...I have 3 spare batteries for my Pre- so would like to keep it ready to go for extended journeys.

I haven't connected my old Pre to any wifi or cell network since activating my new Pre3 for fear of losing all my apps! I know under normal circumstances you cannot use the same profile on two webOS mobile devices (TouchPad excluded) but is there any PreWare patch or some other method to keep both phones synced? I really don't want to use a different Palm Profile because non of my paid-for apps would be available (without buying them again) and that would defeat the object.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I used a Pre before, I login the new Pre3 with the old profile and everything s alright, but be reminded that many apps are not applicable for webos 2.2 so far.

The Pre3 will recognize the register country as the old profile.
    When you connect the Pre3 using the old profile the Pre- will lose the profile and you have to register a new one. I think two devices on one profile is not supported unless one of them is a touchpad (possibly a WebOS 3 thing).

I decided to downgrade my Pre- back to 1.4.5 where it is a lot more stable and then create a new profile for it on which I load the bare essentials. If nothing else I can use the Pre- as a spare hotspot which is handy if I don't mind putting some data allowance on a spare pre-pay SIM. Given how hard it is to get the Pre3 back off I won't be regularly swapping SIMs any time soon.

BTW, anyone else find the volume buttons a bit iffy on the Pre3? My volume up is almost impossible to hit but down is really easy. I think the outer switch built into the back cover it not pressing on the inner button properly as, without the cover on both work perfectly. Maybe I can get a spare back cover but I don't want to risk sending away for repair given the scarcity of Pre3s.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    When you connect the Pre3 using the old profile the Pre- will lose the profile and you have to register a new one. I think two devices on one profile is not supported unless one of them is a touchpad (possibly a WebOS 3 thing).

I decided to downgrade my Pre- back to 1.4.5 where it is a lot more stable and then create a new profile for it on which I load the bare essentials. If nothing else I can use the Pre- as a spare hotspot which is handy if I don't mind putting some data allowance on a spare pre-pay SIM. Given how hard it is to get the Pre3 back off I won't be regularly swapping SIMs any time soon.

BTW, anyone else find the volume buttons a bit iffy on the Pre3? My volume up is almost impossible to hit but down is really easy. I think the outer switch built into the back cover it not pressing on the inner button properly as, without the cover on both work perfectly. Maybe I can get a spare back cover but I don't want to risk sending away for repair given the scarcity of Pre3s.
    I know, that's why my Pre- has remained unconnected and mostly off up until now!

I thought this was the case, just wanted to check to see if there were any work arounds. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me (like almost all of HP's non-existent strategy)...most people aren't obsessed to own two webOS mobile devices, but why not facilitate the ones that are? It would let everything (ie apps, settings, memos) be totally synced across all devices - and the lack of this option is particularly ironic given the brilliant concept behind Synergy.

Clunky as Android is, the Google account login is seamless and very good...you can own as many Android devices in as many form factors as you wish and once you login using your Google details, every app you've ever bought from the Android market is downloaded to your device (ignoring incompatibilities with OS version/device hardware specs...but that's another issue).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I ran into the same problem, but i was too impatient to get my Pre3 up and running that I went ahead and activated it anyway. What I really should have done is follow these instructions first.
    Hope this helps
    StopDeviceWipe - WebOS Internals
    Meh, just gonna use my Pre- as a backup device just in case something happens to my Pre3, will rarely power it up unless I need to