Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    just got a pre 3 today and noticed that the volume buttons not working correctly. It goes up, but not down. If I take the case off, and press the buttons directly then it works fine. Also pressing the case near the up button make the volume go up. Anybody else with this problem?
    Works okay for me. Are you sure the backplate is on properly and clipped down? Or perhaps some foreign object getting caught

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Yes, no foreign objects.

tried taking the sim and battery out and putting case back on, can still hear volume button clicking when pressing the case on corner above the volume buttons.

Gona have to return to eurostore and see about a replacement as I've waited sooooo long for this phone I want it to be right.
    Did you find a solution? - my Pre 3 volume rocker has stopped working completely. It feels mechanically sound but does nothing. Wondered if it might be a patch problem as i had installed a few updated patches. Did you manage to get a replacement/repair?
    Mine is very similar but the other way; it goes down but not up. I found that if I brush the very top of the rocker with a finger nail it does go up but pretty much any other action goes down.

It's annoying but I decided to live with it given that it has no other problems and chances of getting a replacement are minimal.

I think the problem lies in the design of the rocker as the micro switches work perfectly with the back off. I suspect that what is happening is that both micro switches are being pushed. Maybe putting something in the middle will make the action better. I also suspect if someone ever supplies replacement back covers it will fix the problem.
    got the same problem with my german pre 3 (loudness up is not working with closed backcover). i called the HP-Service and they will send me a new backcover. hope that will fix the problem.

To use my HP temporarily i taped it in the middle of the case inside and it works fine. I will refer to this thread, when my new backcover arrives.
    I have this issue.
    If you have taken the back cover off; you may have 'broken' or chipped the cheap plastic nub that connects the rocker on the backcover to the actual contact on the board.

I compared my backcover to another Pre3 and that's what the issue is. As such, I had to place the sounds/ringtones app on my quick launcher.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    was the cheap plastic nub on the backcover or the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by wishmountain View Post
    was the cheap plastic nub on the backcover or the phone?
    On the inside of the backcover.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    On the inside of the backcover.
    ok! now i know what you mean! At my phone the plastic nub is ok but however i have the volume key problem!
    Took mine back yesterday for a replacement. No problems - can't believe they had stock!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    It was really the backcover! Hp sent me a "used" one with scratches and a little bit damaged, but my volume keys are working. Asked HP now to sent me a "new" replacement back cover!
    In case anyone else is interested, I also have a volume button issue where it is very hard to get volume up to work with the back cover on. I found a method that worked for me using the tip of the button with a fingernail (approaching around the phone from the top) and this worked every time so I decided to live with it.

Well, in the last week I have noticed that the rocker is working better now, still not perfect but I can now use the flat of my finger rather than a nail. If this continues I will have fully normal control in another month.

My guess is the button cover built into the phone back has loosened with use and is now less inclined to press both buttons.

Another thing which I think might help would be to put a small bit of padding between the two microswitches so that the rocker is forced to actually rock. I haven't tried this yet as I have not yet found the right material to use and I don't want to be gluing anything in place.
    Could you guys check if it's possible to buy the back cover alone?

Would love to have a back cover with no AT&T logo.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Rookie4sho likes this.
    LOL, I can't say I am proud of the HP logo on mine either, bit of a Hobson's choice.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 10/07/2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I had the problem too but being on a phone call on speaker and adjusting the volume fixed it. It now works all the time.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    I have a VZW pre3 that I paid way too much for. I've had this phone for only a month and now the volume down button doesn't work (even if I remove the case) :-(

I will call HP but I know they'll tell me to ***** off so if they do and VZW also does then I'll have no choice but to open the phone up (there's no warranty support anyway) and try to see what's going on.
    So I searched the forums for this issue, because I got that problem for like two days now.

From reading previous posts, I see it's hardware related, but I just can't understand why...
    The volume buttons can be pressed normally on my pre3, making a clicking sound (I can also press on the cover next to the upper button to achieve the 'click').

The phone won't react to neither of the buttons though. This came pretty suddenly. I just tried to lower the volume and didn't see the usual volume popup thingy, and got nervous. So I restarted luna, restarted the device, opened that thing up and took the battery out and put it back in just in case... nothing helped.

But from the behavior of the button itself, I thought that the component must be ok and decided that it must be software related, maybe some homebrew patch that interferes with it!? I dunno.

So can anyone tell me whether it is really a hardware problem, even if the button seems to behave as normal or if it can also have something to do with the software? Then, if it was a software thing, could doctoring the phone to reset it help?
    If no one has an answer to that I'll surely try to solve the issue by doctoring, but I first want to know if somebody has already tried, and if it is senseless, I won't - kinda lazy to then restore all my files and setting again...

HP/Palm really disappointed me again. I already had that kind of issues with the volume buttons on my old pre plus, where it would always open up voice dial randomly and call some people...even when I was asleep. Had to do crazy stuff with it to get rid of that problem. It was happening because the volume buttons were kinda always in the pressed position, which was the shortcut for voice dial...
    Was happy when I saw that the buttons on the Pre 3 seemed to be better then the old ones, but that impression didn't last long...

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Hope it's readable...
    Sorry to say but with my VZW pre3, I tried emergency patch reset, and when that didn't work, I tried a doctor but to no fix on the volume issue.

Mine is especially strange again because the volume up button works and the feel of the volume down button click is damn near identical.

I figure the only thing left to do is get a pair of head phones that control volume on the pre3. I tried the beats headphones but they only control volume on an iphone i guess. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDownLiveCom View Post
    Sorry to say but with my VZW pre3, I tried emergency patch reset, and when that didn't work, I tried a doctor but to no fix on the volume issue.

Mine is especially strange again because the volume up button works and the feel of the volume down button click is damn near identical.

I figure the only thing left to do is get a pair of head phones that control volume on the pre3. I tried the beats headphones but they only control volume on an iphone i guess. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I unfortunately have the same problem and have discovered my issue is hardware and not fixable. The slider mechanism actually cut through the ribbon connecting the hardware volume buttons to the mainboard. After opening the case up and inspecting it, closed it back up and noticed the slider mechanism was still catching the ribbon. I suspect the ribbon also contains the speakerphone sound signal because my pre 3 now no longer rings out loud and the speakerphone doesn't work. Too bad, my $400 is down the tubes with no hope to repair. I'm going to just have to wait for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to come out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast