Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    not encouraging for me to try opening mine up, I'm not sure mine is as broken as yours but that certainly sucks. My original seller empathized that I spent 600 bucks on a phone that lasted me only a month and sold me a second one at the below ebay going rate (I bought the second one at 300 bucks). Now I've got to try and sell my first pre3. Hopefully someone will want it for close to 300 as my investment in pre3's is now 900 bucks
    Do you get sound at all or is it just that the volume keys do nothing?

Do you have Uberkernel installed?

I had problems with my Pre3 when using Uberkernel which affected the volume keys... see if my post here helps:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3241343
    I had the same on pre3 using Uberkernel. No sound no volumekeys ( but working after reboot for some time). Since using stock kernel never happened again.
    is there any way to get into USB mode if my volume buttons don't work? is my pre 3 now bricked since i switched my palm profile to a new phone and i can't get my old pre 3 to boot past the HP logo?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    This might be unrelated to the issues some are having here in the thread, but just in case I'm posting here anyway.

After first getting the Pre 3 I thought there was a volume rocker issue until I realized Palm changed how it operates slightly.

On previous devices pushing in on the rocker resulted in volume change. With the Pre 3, releasing the rocker results in change to the volume one 'click' at a time.

I suspect this is to keep volume from moving if the rocker gets squeezed in a pocket or phone holder. In any case, once I figured out the change, it actually seems better.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I Believe you can hold x as opposed to a volume button to enter recovery mode
    Quote Originally Posted by Slad View Post
    So I searched the forums for this issue, because I got that problem for like two days now.

From reading previous posts, I see it's hardware related, but I just can't understand why...
    The volume buttons can be pressed normally on my pre3, making a clicking sound (I can also press on the cover next to the upper button to achieve the 'click').

The phone won't react to neither of the buttons though. This came pretty suddenly. I just tried to lower the volume and didn't see the usual volume popup thingy, and got nervous. So I restarted luna, restarted the device, opened that thing up and took the battery out and put it back in just in case... nothing helped.

But from the behavior of the button itself, I thought that the component must be ok and decided that it must be software related, maybe some homebrew patch that interferes with it!? I dunno.

So can anyone tell me whether it is really a hardware problem, even if the button seems to behave as normal or if it can also have something to do with the software? Then, if it was a software thing, could doctoring the phone to reset it help?
    If no one has an answer to that I'll surely try to solve the issue by doctoring, but I first want to know if somebody has already tried, and if it is senseless, I won't - kinda lazy to then restore all my files and setting again...

HP/Palm really disappointed me again. I already had that kind of issues with the volume buttons on my old pre plus, where it would always open up voice dial randomly and call some people...even when I was asleep. Had to do crazy stuff with it to get rid of that problem. It was happening because the volume buttons were kinda always in the pressed position, which was the shortcut for voice dial...
    Was happy when I saw that the buttons on the Pre 3 seemed to be better then the old ones, but that impression didn't last long...

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Hope it's readable...
    Mine has the same problem.
    I also agree with your point.
    I did restore my Pre3 with webOS Doctor but it did not work.
    Maybe the problem can be solved by software/patch adjustment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by g8rvictor View Post
    is there any way to get into USB mode if my volume buttons don't work? is my pre 3 now bricked since i switched my palm profile to a new phone and i can't get my old pre 3 to boot past the HP logo?
    Use #R# instead of Volume Up button.
    Anyone know how to turn up the ear and speaker volume without working buttons?
    Quote Originally Posted by corn13read View Post
    Anyone know how to turn up the ear and speaker volume without working buttons?
    Try using TouchVol. http://www.precentral.net/touchvol
    Quote Originally Posted by xunzhi13 View Post
    Use #R# instead of Volume Up button.
    so is that option-B/#, shift-R, option-B/# and which do i hold down while plugging in the USB cable?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I too have a similar problem with my Pre 3. Down volume control doesn't work although it feels ok. Initially I thought it was software related so tried a WebOS Doctor which didn't work.

I did install TouchVol which helped but the volume always reset to max so it was a pain having to fire up TouchVol on every call if I didn't want to be deafened.

I called HP and got quickly through to someone who asked a few questions then told me to send it off for free repair under warranty. Now just waiting for it to come back. Fingers crossed.
    I have the same issue - I'm presuming a physical problem, as the down vol microswitch doesnt work, but the up one does - with or without the back on (and therefore the rocker in place or not). bit cheesed off, actually. noticed it while playing worms probably yesterday, which was rather loud, and I couldnt turn the effects/music volume down.
    Actually, the keyboard stuck halfway too - I had to wiggle it to get it to free either way.
    Can't remember if its done it before or not, but it may be coincidental anyway.
    I've only had the bloody thing since december - seems a shame something so simple should be so fragile.
    Quote Originally Posted by g8rvictor View Post
    I discovered by chance that - contrary to received wisdom and what Palm/HP Support say on their website - you do not actually need to hold the volume up button to get into the USB Update mode.

I had the apparently common problem of volume buttons on my Pre 3 not working and decided to doctor. As I was downloading the Doctor, I connected my Pre 3 to the PC in the normal USB mode to back up my photos etc.

I did not disconnect, and the Doctor launched fine, did the system check - and the phone went into the USB Update mode just like that, without me holding any button at all!

Oh and by the way, it was all in vain: my volume buttons still don't work...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12