Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/55...m-Pre-3-review

Very good review over all. I'm just happy someone has finally reviewed it.
    Overall a good review, but this is probably the best written critique of webOS' lamentable boot times:

"It's also worth pointing out that restarting the Pre 3 takes longer than the creation of the entire universe. We have no idea what the phone is doing during boot, but we can only assume it's really difficult."
    Generally a very positive review.
    We even found browsing the Internet to be one of the best mobile experiences we've had.
    Really? Wow
    The disgracefully named 'Spaz' is a must-have, purely because it appears to be the platform's only Twitter client.
    What? If there's a category of apps we do have it's twitter clients.
    Yeah. The one thing I thought was a little unfair and exaggerated was the app situation. They didn't even mention Homebrew/patches/internalz/etc.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    By far the best option for owners, or potential owners, of this phone is to buy it and assume that it's feature complete. We often call the Pre a feature phone, rather than a smartphone, which is a little mean. In fact, apps really only supplement functionality missing from the device, it could be argued that the Pre does everything most people need, so what's the point of an app store, but try telling that to an iPhone or Android user.
    Thoroughly agreed! I have little use for apps on my Pre Plus. The browser works fine, the email client is wonderful (Oh my for email on my sister's Motorola Milestone). SMSes are handled well.

In fact the only apps I got off the app catalogue are currency converters and unit coverters. Oh and a little tank like game to test out whether the pre could run games.

Does everyone not realise that NOT having functionality means you need a ton of apps? And the company itself is gonna benefit as you try to complete the functionality of the phone.

Now, can I have my Pre 3 please? My Pre Plus is dying and I need a new feature phone.
    Last edited by Fatfool; 09/02/2011 at 10:32 AM.
    This is a VERY good review!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by circadia View Post
    Yeah. The one thing I thought was a little unfair and exaggerated was the app situation. They didn't even mention Homebrew/patches/internalz/etc.

Do you see automobile reviews adding in comments like you can add in a turbo charger here, change the rim size, paint if fiery purple etc?

Of course not duh. You're reviewing the product as it is. Not what the product can do with hacks.
    "The unified inbox works well too, as you'd hope, and is far better than any we've seen on Android. The one feature missing is the ability to exclude an account from this combined inbox. This isn't a major pain, but it's a feature coming to the 7.5 update of Windows Phone 7, and it makes a nice change."

I thought we could do this by pressing the star icon on the relevant mailbox. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    "The unified inbox works well too, as you'd hope, and is far better than any we've seen on Android. The one feature missing is the ability to exclude an account from this combined inbox. This isn't a major pain, but it's a feature coming to the 7.5 update of Windows Phone 7, and it makes a nice change."

I thought we could do this by pressing the star icon on the relevant mailbox. Am I wrong?
    I think you're correct. They also said there is no 'push' for email or twitter, which is not true either (at least for mail).
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think you're correct. They also said there is no 'push' for email or twitter, which is not true either (at least for mail).
    there is no push. It's polled and then downloaded at regular intervals (you can set it btw)
    Is that a limitation of the Pre 3? My veer has the 'as it arrives' option for mail which usually happens before I see it in Outlook (Exchange) or Gmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    As far as I know, only Blackberry has "True" push email. There is an ' as items arrive' option, but i'm not sure it's true 'push'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post

Do you see automobile reviews adding in comments like you can add in a turbo charger here, change the rim size, paint if fiery purple etc?

Of course not duh. You're reviewing the product as it is. Not what the product can do with hacks.
    The customizability (that a word? No? Call Websters!) is a major feature of webOS...and hence, and webOS device. IMHO it should be discussed. Most of the things you mentioned (except for the Turbo charger) are external to the product...it would be like discussing what kind of bling you can put on the outside of the phone, or what kind of theme you might install, or what kind of case would really jazz it up. I agree with you that those things are not necessary or even desired when talking about the phone. But the ability to modify your smartphone (some people call it jailbreaking in the iOS world) is a topic often discussed among techies...it should be mentioned since this capability is a feature people consider when buying a phone.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    If you spot any inaccuarcies, add a comment to the review.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    pimonserry likes this.
    As far as I know, only Blackberry has "True" push email. There is an ' as items arrive' option, but i'm not sure it's true 'push'.
    I guess the only difference must be the technical implementation because my emails could not arrive quicker than they do.
    RoverNole likes this.
    I want a Pre3 so bad (I could have sworn I mentioned this in another post...)
    WebOS has had push email since the Pre- as long as you don't use POP which AFAIC doesn't support it. I have IMAP configured and 'as it arrives' saves power as it only fires up when an email comes in, it's definitely push...
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    Nokia have a similar, but clunky, push email system.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I thought the reboot of my pre is slow enough....maybe I'm wrong....
    At least on my pre I see a nice "palm" logo
    on pre3 it'll be the damn "hp"
    maybe that makes the whole procedure longer than ever
    Anything using Exchange ActiveSync supports true push mail direct from the server, as long as you have the option enabled.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast