Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
    Anything using Exchange ActiveSync supports true push mail direct from the server, as long as you have the option enabled.
    Yeah, he got that wrong for sure.

As for the rest of the review, I never thought it was possible to be simultaneously elated and depressed. Reading those superlatives about a phone we've waited for forever and that very few of us will be able to get . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by miafey View Post
    I thought the reboot of my pre is slow enough....maybe I'm wrong....
    At least on my pre I see a nice "palm" logo
    on pre3 it'll be the damn "hp"
    maybe that makes the whole procedure longer than ever
    My Pre3 boots up a lot quicker than my Pre- but I guess that is really not saying much...
    the reviewer is a stand up comedian
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    As far as I know, only Blackberry has "True" push email. There is an ' as items arrive' option, but i'm not sure it's true 'push'.
    webOS and thus the Pre3, very much have 'push' email. Which means the emails arrive on the Pre3 as soon as they arrive on the server. I personally have tested this and compared the push mail performance of webOS with Blackberry and believe it or not, my Pre+ has more often than not received the email before the Blackberry phone. Actually my friend who has a Blackberry and I got into an argument about how Blackberry alone ahs 'push' mail and which is why he continues to use a Blackberry. Thus to settle the argument we sent a few test emails to both his and my email accouts and invariably, more often than not, my emails arrived sooner than his. At times the emails arrived almost instantly on Pre+. Pressed 'send' and a second later got the notification on my Pre+.

PS: You may have to go into email settings for each email account and set 'As Items Arrive' for the 'Get Email' option.
    1. Open the Email app
    2. From the top left corner select 'Preferences & Accounts'
    3. Click on the particular email account you wish to change settings for.
    4. Click on 'Get Email' and select 'As Items Arrive'
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/02/2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    If you're a Hotmail user, then you'll also have to jump through hoops to get that service to deliver email to your phone. .......

On the plus side, Gmail works out of the box, and you can have multiple accounts too. ............ Yahoo mail is also provided for, which is nice, although makes us wonder why Hotmail isn't offered the same luxury.
    Unless HP has gone and changed something in webOS 2.2, this is one more thing the reviewer has gotten totally wrong. Hotmail in webOS works very much out of the box, just as GMail & Yahoo Mail do. Setting up Hotmail is as simple and straightforward as the other two email options. Makes one wonder whether he has actually even tried these features.

I stand corrected.

what I do not is that RIMM have some serious patents related to push email that allow them to do it without killing the batteries. It's why they have their own servers directly connected to every operators network
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    what I do not is that RIMM have some serious patents related to push email that allow them to do it without killing the batteries. It's why they have their own servers directly connected to every operators network
    Whatever technical advantage Blackberry mail had at some point is totally moot now. In fact Microsoft Exchange has been offering the same service for many a years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Unless HP has gone and changed something in webOS 2.2, this is one more thing the reviewer has gotten totally wrong. Hotmail in webOS works very much out of the box, just as GMail & Yahoo Mail do. Setting up Hotmail is as simple and straightforward as the other two email options. Makes one wonder whether he has actually even tried these features.
    I'm backing you up on this
    I have no problem whatsoever having my hotmail emails delivered to my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    I want a Pre3 so bad (I could have sworn I mentioned this in another post...)
    Me too... !!! Especially after waiting for so long on my pre-, hoping for Sprint to release it (back when we thought Sprint was the only hangup), and now this where no one in the US can get it... sigh.... I've not wanted another gadget more than this.
    I thought the reboot of my pre is slow enough....maybe I'm wrong....
    At least on my pre I see a nice "palm" logo
    on pre3 it'll be the damn "hp"
    maybe that makes the whole procedure longer than ever
    You don't have to live with the "hp" logo...Give this Tip a read, you can do it!

Replace the flashing logo boot animation (homebrew) | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

No longer will you have to stare at that hp logo for 2 to 6 minutes (yeah, my Pre+ takes over 6 minutes to boot up cold)
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    You don't have to live with the "hp" logo...Give this Tip a read, you can do it!

Replace the flashing logo boot animation (homebrew) | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

No longer will you have to stare at that hp logo for 2 to 6 minutes (yeah, my Pre+ takes over 6 minutes to boot up cold)
    That is really good....has anyone got the palm.png...
    webOS and thus the Pre3, very much have 'push' email. Which means the emails arrive on the Pre3 as soon as they arrive on the server. I personally have tested this and compared the push mail performance of webOS with Blackberry and believe it or not, my Pre+ has more often than not received the email before the Blackberry phone. Actually my friend who has a Blackberry and I got into an argument about how Blackberry alone ahs 'push' mail and which is why he continues to use a Blackberry. Thus to settle the argument we sent a few test emails to both his and my email accouts and invariably, more often than not, my emails arrived sooner than his. At times the emails arrived almost instantly on Pre+. Pressed 'send' and a second later got the notification on my Pre+.

PS: You may have to go into email settings for each email account and set 'As Items Arrive' for the 'Get Email' option.
    1. Open the Email app
    2. From the top left corner select 'Preferences & Accounts'
    3. Click on the particular email account you wish to cvhange settings for.
    4. Click on 'Get Email' and select 'As Items Arrive'
    Thanks for the info! very useful!

How does it affects battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokal View Post
    Thanks for the info! very useful!

How does it affects battery life?
    It should actually, I think, give you better battery life. Personally I have been using this from day one and quite honestly would not give up the 'push' mail feature even if it does trake up some extra battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post

Do you see automobile reviews adding in comments like you can add in a turbo charger here, change the rim size, paint if fiery purple etc?

Of course not duh. You're reviewing the product as it is. Not what the product can do with hacks.
    Um, yeah, I actually have seen reviews of certain cars be noted for their propensity to be tuned and tweaked by the tuner crowd. The Genesis Coupe was mentioned in those regards in several reviews when it first came out.

All I said was that I thought their depiction of the app situation on webOS was "a little unfair and exaggerated" and then I noted that they didn't even mention Homebrew. That's worthy of a "duh"?

Either way, I'm not sure if your analogy entirely holds, but what you're talking about is after-market parts for cars. I would suggest that ANY "app" which is downloaded and added to the phone post consumer purchase (except, maybe, OEM OS updates) is equivalent to automotive after-market parts and add-ons. So, under that analogy, all reviews that address the hundreds of thousands of apps on some platforms (or the lack thereof on others) DO talk about things being added to phones and, therefore, not "product as it is" as you state. Duh, indeed.

Lastly, many other reviews of webOS products do talk about, or at least mention, Homebrew etc. So, again, it's not a crazy thought that they overlooked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
    Anything using Exchange ActiveSync supports true push mail direct from the server, as long as you have the option enabled.
    yeah that is true though in my experience (granted 1.4.5 on Pre- only) it destroys battery life. After I changed jobs and went from an exchange to another mail provider where I had it poll every 5 minutes it seems the battery life doubled on my Pre-. I was pretty shocked the degree to which it impacted battery life at least on that phone.

I am using exchange at my current job once again with a Pre2, though have only had it for about 1 day so far. The setting "as items arrive" is set, I guess that is the default.

Haven't had it long enough to judge battery life, it's spent almost the entire day today on a touchstone.
    That is really good....has anyone got the palm.png...
    I'm guessing it's in my phone somewhere...just like Derek Zoolander and Hansel knew the files were 'in' the computer...so they broke it open to get the files out!

Uh, I think I'll try to find them using Internalz Pro. Oh, that link I gave you has the path.

/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/

If you send me a PM with an email address, I'll try to send them to you. I found

palm-logo.png
    palm-logo-bright.png
    palm-logo-blue.png
    palm-logo-orange.png

If you want all 4, I'll be glad to send them. I might be going to sleep soon, and unavailable in the morning, but I'll get them to you some time tomorrow if you like.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Where ? I'm not a hotmail user but I have a new pre2 (new to webos 2.1) and in the 'add accounts' section for email there is no hotmail option

checked my TP too - no hotmail option

are you referring to configuring the client manually for IMAP/POP against hotmail's servers?
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    You just add an email account. Enter your address and password.

Done

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    You just add an email account. Enter your address and password.

Done
    you certainly make it sound a lot easier than it is, doing a search I came up with this

Hotmail on Palm Pre - Support Community

So you do have to dig up the addresses and configuration manually for hotmail.

So the reviewer was right - HP/Palm certainly could make this much easier for hotmail users.

Not an issue for more technical users but easily can see how less technical people would have problems vs the canned options of exchange, google and yahoo which just need an email address and password.

And yes I have been running my own mail servers for 15 years now so I know enough how to set it up for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by natepre509 View Post
    Where ? I'm not a hotmail user but I have a new pre2 (new to webos 2.1) and in the 'add accounts' section for email there is no hotmail option

checked my TP too - no hotmail option
    1. Open 'Accounts' & skip to step 3 or Open the 'Email App'
    2. In the 'Email App' swipe down on the the Top-Left corner and open 'Preferences & Accounts'
    3. Click on Add account
    4. Click either on 'Microsoft Exchange' or on 'Email Account'
    5. Enter your Hotmail id and password, then click on 'Sign In'
    6. Click on Create Account.

Simple enough? By the way, this applies for both the Pre 2 (webOS 2.1.0) and the TouchPad (webOS 3.0.2).

you certainly make it sound a lot easier than it is
    As you can see from my instructions above, it is actually quite simple and in fact, it is even easier than the instructions themselves.

doing a search I came up with this

Hotmail on Palm Pre - Support Community

So you do have to dig up the addresses and configuration manually for hotmail.
    These instructions are from before Microsoft started support for 'Exchange ActiveSync 2.5' in Hotmail. These complex methods were not due to any limitations of webOS, but rather due to Microsoft failure to provide IMAP or ActiveSync support for Hotmail. These limitations were there for iOS and Android too. In short, you do not need to dig up any "addresses" or "configure manually for hotmail" in webOS.

So the reviewer was right - HP/Palm certainly could make this much easier for hotmail users.
    NO! The reviewer is most certainly not right. It is sad to see so many reviewers on the net, reviewing products without even doing their research properly.

Not an issue for more technical users but easily can see how less technical people would have problems vs the canned options of exchange, google and yahoo which just need an email address and password.
    In actuality, setting up an email account, whether it be gMail, Yahoo or even Hotmail, it does not get any simpler than it is in webOS.

And yes I have been running my own mail servers for 15 years now so I know enough how to set it up for myself.
    Is it possible that due to your long years of experience with mail servers, you are making this more difficult than it really is?

PS: Any limitations that are there with Hotmail syncing is entirely due the inexplicable decision of Microsoft to use an old and obsolete version of the 'Exchange ActiveSync' protocol to allow syncing with Hotmail. Although 'Exchange ActiveSync' is currently on version 14.1, Microsoft chooses to use 'Exchange ActiveSync 2.5'. Why 2.5 and not an even older version one might ask, that's because 'Exchange ActiveSync 2.5' is the oldest version that supports 'push' email.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/03/2011 at 12:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12