Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Im one of the lucky ones, i managed to get a Pre 3 from cleverboxes for 199. And the OS is great, however i just not sure if i can deal with the battery life and lack of storage!

I used to have the nokia e72, i could drag that over 2 days. With the big touch screen i wasn't expecting the Pre 3 to match that, but it barely can do 9 hours! I have the battery in mind every time i pick up the phone.

Then on top of that with no way to expand the storage, its just another thing to keep in mind as i now only have 1.5GB left

Its such a shame because i really like the phone, i wouldn't even even mind about the storage if the battery was decent! Xperia i have that in mind and reckon i could sell my pre for enough to buy one.. id much rather just buy a better battery for it though!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    The battery life is the most disappointing part of this otherwise great phone. The OS is great, despite the lack of apps, but the hardware needs more diversity.
    8 gig is dissappointing, battery wise, hopefully there will be a larger aftermarket coming. on another note, i dont think there are too many smartphones that can last 8 hrs with moderate to heavy use.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    1- You turned off IM, right?
    2- How much time do you spend on Wifi?
    3- Do you usually get decent signal strength?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    Im one of the lucky ones, i managed to get a Pre 3 from cleverboxes for 199. And the OS is great, however i just not sure if i can deal with the battery life and lack of storage!

I used to have the nokia e72, i could drag that over 2 days. With the big touch screen i wasn't expecting the Pre 3 to match that, but it barely can do 9 hours! I have the battery in mind every time i pick up the phone.

Then on top of that with no way to expand the storage, its just another thing to keep in mind as i now only have 1.5GB left

Its such a shame because i really like the phone, i wouldn't even even mind about the storage if the battery was decent! Xperia i have that in mind and reckon i could sell my pre for enough to buy one.. id much rather just buy a better battery for it though!
    I would buy it from you if you wanted to sell it or trade me nokia n9 or nokia e7 with cash.....
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    The honeymoon period is over with my Pre3. I no longer pick it up and play with it, just because.

And now the battery lasts about 14 hours with normal usage.... much longer if I've had a quiet day, which is as good as any smartphone i've had in the last three years.

And when I say it lasts that long. Typically I will stick I on charge if it gets below 20%

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I would buy it from you if you are selling it or trade you my nokia n8 or nokia e7 with cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    The honeymoon period is over with my Pre3. I no longer pick it up and play with it, just because.

And now the battery lasts about 14 hours with normal usage.... much longer if I've had a quiet day, which is as good as any smartphone i've had in the last three years.

And when I say it lasts that long. Typically I will stick I on charge if it gets below 20%

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    How do you use your Pre 3? Is it on wifi all the time or 3G? I only ask because my battery time varies entirely on what I'm doing...I always have battery monitor open and at home I've found that if I leave it on wifi overnight with no apps open (save for battery monitor) it will go down to about 2.5% an hour and last about 15-16 hours or more (if I don't touch it), whereas if I'm out using 3G and multi-tasking stuff all over the place as well as listening to music over Bluetooth I can cane half a battery in about 1.5 - 2 hours. With an average day therefore I've found that it can last 8-10 hours, although that's no bother because I have touchstones wherever I usually am.

My concern is going somewhere and not having power all day...sure, the phone can last a while not touching it but if I get a train somewhere I'll be using it...so by the time I arrive it may be down to half battery, which will then have to last about 10 hours. I haven't got into that situation yet so will need to see what happens! Hopefully Mugen will have brought out their replacement battery by then and I will no longer have to worry.
    I take mine off charge about 5am, have several text conversations during the day, 3G on all the time, check email several times, four or five calls in and out throughout the day, get home about 8, Wi-Fi on, check Facebook, have a look for any app updates etc and even by bedtime, about 11pm, i've still got 35%.

I think its actually better than my previous Pre Plus, and with that one, I only turned Data on when I needed it. I feel your pain with the 8GB though, im definitely missing the extra space and the plethora of patches - but at least they should be coming soon, fingers crossed.
    Don't expect Nokia's battery life on anything else but a Nokia

Some tips I use:
    Turn off 3G, turn it on only when you need it.
    Turn off wifi when you don't use it
    Lower the screen lighting, even at the minimum the pre3 is very bright
    Turn off system sounds

And if still not enough, get a solio solar charger, it's very helpful and green.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the step from the a nokia non-smartphone to the Pre was a big one. If 3g is off can you still receive texts?
    Yes, everything works normal in 2G, texts, web, mails, everything, just a little slower.

And you can't surf the web while calling, but not a big deal for me, and it saves a LOT of battery.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I downloaded the "data toggle" app, I take it i wont receive emails in 2g mode?
    You will. Everything works the same, just slower.

The best is that you try
  15. H
    I can get a 13 hour day out of mine plus 8 hours the night before.

During the night I switch off data automatically with modeswitcher
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post

Battery Life: Check out the homebrew app Mode Switcher, to automatically turn off WiFi when you go out and much, much else.
    I speculate higher capacity batteries will become available in the future, Mugen for example.
    And don't forget that the Xperia pro probably also won't exactly have considerably better battery life.
    Do you have a Touchstone? Really convenient; just have it on your desk and throw your phone on it whenever you're at home, no hassle with any cables