Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By djmcgee
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By jcohengd
  • 1 Post By jcohengd
  1.    #1  
    I have Verizon and I am wondering if the Pre 3 will be released on that carrier? I have seen forums that say it will, and forums that say it wont . I also have heard that Verizon is getting a lot of world phones, and am hoping that the Pre 3 will be one of them. But, I still am uncertain. I also would like to know, if I can't get the Pre 3, is it possible to tether the Pre 2 to the Touchpad for Internet, texts, and phone calls?
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larry23142314 View Post
    I have Verizon and I am wondering if the Pre 3 will be released on that carrier? I have seen forums that say it will, and forums that say it wont . I also have heard that Verizon is getting a lot of world phones, and am hoping that the Pre 3 will be one of them. But, I still am uncertain. I also would like to know, if I can't get the Pre 3, is it possible to tether the Pre 2 to the Touchpad for Internet, texts, and phone calls?
    That is the question of the century. Nobody knows positively.

Yes you can use the mobile hotspot on the Pre 2 for internet. If you have the Pre + now, according to a VZW rep, you won't lose the free mobile hotspot if you upgrade to the Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Let's see, just a couple of weeks ago HP announced that they will discontinue support for webOS devices.

I am going to guess that the Pre3 will not see the light of day in the US.
    Dan
    Premium1 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    I understand that I can use the hotspot, but is Bluetooth message and internet sharing compatible
    I can say positively that it will not, unless HP and VzW change their decision.
    Premium1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post

Yes you can use the mobile hotspot on the Pre 2 for internet. If you have the Pre + now, according to a VZW rep, you won't lose the free mobile hotspot if you upgrade to the Pre 2.
    I've heard it both ways, yes there's a charge if you switch to pre2 and no there is not (pre+ owners grandfathered in to free mobile hot spot).

Yesterday I had happened to be talking to a VZW rep about my refurb pre+. While waiting for phone to reboot I inquired about the pre2 (I can upgrade in another month) and whether mobile hot spot was included for free (I've been a VZW customer for as long as they've been VZW). I was told MHS would be a $20 monthly charge for 2GB of data. What was grandfathered is that I would retain my unlimited data plan regardless of hardware switch. As long as i didn't downgrade to a non-smart phone for more than 60 days my unlimited data plan will remain intact, but MHS is not a free feature automatically included with the Pre2.

It's possible I was told wrong, but that's the latest I've heard directly vs. via the grapevine. So what's this about something called free tether?
    Last edited by lware14; 09/01/2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: additional info
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    oh and I made sure to tell the VZW rep that they really needed to go ahead and bring out the pre3 as it supposed to be great!
    Quote Originally Posted by lware14 View Post
    I've heard it both ways, yes there's a charge if you switch to pre2 and no there is not (pre+ owners grandfathered in to free mobile hot spot).

Yesterday I had happened to be talking to a VZW rep about my refurb pre+. While waiting for phone to reboot I inquired about the pre2 (I can upgrade in another month) and whether mobile hot spot was included for free (I've been a VZW customer for as long as they've been VZW). I was told MHS would be a $20 monthly charge for 2GB of data. What was grandfathered is that I would retain my unlimited data plan regardless of hardware switch. As long as i didn't downgrade to a non-smart phone for more than 60 days my unlimited data plan will remain intact, but MHS is not a free feature automatically included with the Pre2.

It's possible I was told wrong, but that's the latest I've heard directly vs. via the grapevine. So what's this about something called free tether?
    You were not told wrong. I just switched from a Pre+ to a Pre2 and can verify that free mobile HotSpot has been removed from my plan.

Free Tether is in preware and works very similar to your controls for HotSpot with some additional options.
    Can I ask a (I think) related question...can one buy a Pre3 that is unlocked and have it activated on Verizon in the US?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Can I ask a (I think) related question...can one buy a Pre3 that is unlocked and have it activated on Verizon in the US?
    For the 1000th time....no, you can't.
    Premium1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaverde View Post
    You were not told wrong. I just switched from a Pre+ to a Pre2 and can verify that free mobile HotSpot has been removed from my plan.

Free Tether is in preware and works very similar to your controls for HotSpot with some additional options.
    I can verify this as well. A SHAME!
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post

I upgraded to a pre 2 from the Pre + on Verizon in July. Last time I checked I didn't have mobile hotspot for free. : (

Is this only for new purchasers or the wrong info from a rep?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieb View Post
    Is this only for new purchasers or the wrong info from a rep?
    No - it's just that the Verizon reps are DUMB.

Pre Plus: Free Mobile Hotspot
    Pixi Plus: Free Mobile Hotspot
    Pre 2: No more free mobile hotspot

End of story.
    dabombcra likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    For the 1000th time....no, you can't.
    Wow...the Pre3 has only been out for a couple (or 3?) of weeks and that's already been asked 1000 times...whew...there ARE a lot of folks on this board!

I guess I shouldn't ask if I can get fries with that Pre3 combo? Oh well, at least I still have free mobile hotspot on my Pre+. I'll have to start looking at freetether soon though because sometime in the next year I'll probably need a new phone and if there is a webOS option I'll be hoping to go that route.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lware14 View Post

Yep, me too. I just called VZW again, and the rep this time read a memo stating the free MHS would not carry over to the Pre 2.

The Freetether is what you can use to bypass the MHS. This is the only reason I'm considering upgrading to the Pre 2, not to mention I can get it from Vzw for $4.99, on contract considering the state of webOS devices/support. Thing is, webOS is the easiest OS to use for tethering to my TP.